Repour wine saver - anyone use this?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Repour wine saver - anyone use this?

#101 Post by Eric Lundblad » August 17th, 2018, 5:49 pm

c fu wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 3:50 pm
I was under the impression you can use it for multiple pours over time with the same bottle. So thinking might be able to use it for a second bottle if you use the first one for the initial bottle quickly?
I've used the repour for multiple bottles...it can handle a second bottle if 'lightly' used for the first bottle. You need to seal the repour in between uses, duct tape works well. Wipe the repour opening with a towel of some sort to insure a good duct tape seal, otherwise you'll lose its effectiveness.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#102 Post by Karen Troisi » August 20th, 2018, 6:52 am

c fu wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 2:44 pm
Karen Troisi wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 1:43 pm
We have use these in our tasting room since mid-May on all our red wines. We were very impressed with the results and I just placed a reordered. Wholesale pricing makes it a no brainer - much cheaper than argon and just as effective. Our staff loves them.
Have you used multiple bottles with one Repour?
Sorry for the late response. Yes we find that a repour usually lasts about two bottles (and that is constantly removing and recorking a bottle in the tasting room). For personal usage you would probably get more bottles - I would simply tape up the bottom so it wasn’t exposed to air and then remove the tape when you are ready to use it again.
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Sh@n A » August 20th, 2018, 7:58 am

What I want most is the ability to pour glasses of a single 750 without the pressure of finishing the entire bottle that day or the next day. E.G., pouring out half a bottle on Day 1 and consuming the remaining half on Day 3. I purchased a Coravin and afraid to use it because the wines did feel flatter the few times I used it, and the one time I Coravined and waited 2 weeks to consume the rest, the bottle was a oxygenated/very disappointing. Keen to pick up a few of these. Totally OK with the the cost per disposable use, because the enjoyment pick up will be substantial, let alone less waste. Doesn't allow for glass-by-glass, but just breaking 750s into 375s is value added!
/ @ g r @ \

Mark Cochard

#104 Post by Mark Cochard » August 20th, 2018, 10:57 am

They gave out 4 packs to all attendees at Texsom last week.

This is from the discussion forum on Guild Somm.
This is the inventor Tom Lutz, Ph.D. talking.

"Repour is designed to save one full bottle of wine, consumed glass-by-glass, with perfect wine preservation on all glasses. I wanted to share a bit of the math behind the oxygen absorbing design of Repour so that you can fully understand and use Repour to achieve optimal results for your testing.

Repour has a nominal oxygen absorbing capacity to remove all of the oxygen from 1500 ml of air (5 glass pours from 750 ml bottle). There is a bit of excess safety capacity in each Repour stopper to allow for a bit of variability in use (sitting on the counter for a couple of minutes, etc) so the true absolute max is about 2000 ml. The math works like this,
1 glass gone = 150 ml
2 glass gone = 300 ml
3 glass gone = 450 ml
4 glass gone = 600 ml
5 glass gone = empty
--------------------------------------
Total Air = 1500 ml
If you track the "air" in a very small pour setting, you will need to change to a new Repour stopper when the bottle is between 1/2-2/3 empty to save the full bottle as Ben has noted below."

Here is pdf from his bio on GuildSomm regrarding the chemistry
https://www.guildsomm.com/members/Tom-L ... esting.pdf

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Robert Grenley » August 20th, 2018, 5:26 pm

So, in cases where the Repour is used at the end of an evening to "arrest" further degradation of a partially consumed bottle, and assuming that it is properly sealed between uses, it would seem that one Repour could be used for anywhere from 2 to a few bottles before reaching it's 1500 cc O2-absorbing capacity (and Tom Lutz says that the actual capacity is more like 2000-2200cc so that there is a safe buffer above the 1500cc capacity claimed to protect a bottle consumed one glass at a time as above). It will be interesting to experiment with this.
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Alan Rath » August 20th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Mark Cochard wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 10:57 am
1 glass gone = 150 ml
2 glass gone = 300 ml
3 glass gone = 450 ml
4 glass gone = 600 ml
5 glass gone = empty
--------------------------------------
Total Air = 1500 ml
And that assumes that the entire "empty" volume of the bottle is replaced by fresh air each time you pour a glass, which is certainly not the case. But if they've factored that in, using it again on another freshly opened bottle might be problematic.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Sh@n A » August 20th, 2018, 5:46 pm

I was thinking the reverse, that they didn’t allocate enough time for being on the counter.
/ @ g r @ \

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Alan Rath » August 20th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Their numbers are the "worst case", i.e., air space completely replaced with fresh air after each pour.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 20th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Cheap enough to give them a try. Ordered a 10 pack on Amazon
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Russ Williams » August 20th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Why is this device better than pouring half the bottle into an airtight 375ml vessel stored in the fridge?
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Robert Grenley » August 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm

I was wondering the same thing...though I have also wondered why a wine that tasted really good at the end of an evening degrades overnight when placed in a 375ml screwtop filled to the brim. Unless it is O2 that is in solution in the wine that continues to oxidize and degrade the wine. The Repour inventor says that the O2 is removed from the airspace and that subsequently the O2 in solution in the wine comes out of solution and is removed as well, which if true might explain why this would be better than the 375ml screwtop with no airspace. If this is indeed the case.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#112 Post by c fu » August 20th, 2018, 10:38 pm

had a 2015 Gangloff la Barbarine chilling in my fridge with a Repour on it for about 12 days. Had 1/3rd the bottle left. Still lots of fresh fruit on the nose, dark inky color on the visual. Still showed a bit of the bitter oak but didn't have quite the density of fruit. But held up really well I thought since we had initially double decanted the wine when we opened it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Yao C

#113 Post by Yao C » August 21st, 2018, 9:22 am

Alan Rath wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 6:17 pm
Their numbers are the "worst case", i.e., air space completely replaced with fresh air after each pour.
Alan is it not a reasonable assumption that all the air will have been replaced in the bottle? Especially if you're not rushing to recork the bottle immediately after? I don't know the math around diffusion of gases etc etc
C h 0 o n 6

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Alan Rath » August 21st, 2018, 10:06 am

It would probably take 5-10 minutes for the air to be completely replaced after pouring out a couple of glasses. So leaving it on the counter for 30 seconds or a minute won't do all that much. Of course, each glass you pour out will be replaced with an equal volume of air right away, but the air that's already in there will take some time.

Edited to clarify: the first glass you pour out, air replaces that instantly. If you come back the next day and pour out a glass, that amount of air will replace the liquid volume instantly, but the first glass worth of air will take more time. And that doesn't account for the fluid dynamics of the air movement while pouring. I actually like that Repour used the worst case estimate in their calculations, just pointing out you might get a bit more out of it than they claim.
Last edited by Alan Rath on August 21st, 2018, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Sh@n A » August 21st, 2018, 10:09 am

So putting this material onto corks at time of manufacture, and then using a Coravin, would solve everything.... any oxygen that manages to leak into a bottle filled with Coravin gas would be absorbed by the oxygen absorbing material on the original cork.
/ @ g r @ \

Justin S

#116 Post by Justin S » August 21st, 2018, 10:26 am

Sh@n A wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 10:09 am
So putting this material onto corks at time of manufacture, and then using a Coravin, would solve everything.... any oxygen that manages to leak into a bottle filled with Coravin gas would be absorbed by the oxygen absorbing material on the original cork.
Once you insert the Repour stopper, you have to keep the bottle upright, as the wine cannot come into contact with the absorptive material.
$ ! n g h

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Robert Grenley » August 21st, 2018, 11:15 am

Maybe we are just excessive imbibers, but we don't tend to open a decent bottle for one glass. But I would use this frequently for saving the remnant in a (?second) bottle at the end of the evening. I have just ordered a pack to try. But I have suggested it to a couple of wine-loving friends whose spouses no longer drink and that has interfered with their ability to open nice bottles from their cellars. Fortunately we are not afflicted so.
-Bob Dylan

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#118 Post by larry schaffer » August 21st, 2018, 11:30 am

The real 'test' is using this side by side with other methods - and doing this with multiple bottles and a number of times. Everything else just seems to be 'seat of the pants', no?

Sounds like an interesting thing to use - I find my screw caps do a great job of 'holding a wine steady' for a couple of days or more, especially when placed in the regular fridge.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Yao C

#119 Post by Yao C » August 21st, 2018, 4:11 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 10:06 am
It would probably take 5-10 minutes for the air to be completely replaced after pouring out a couple of glasses. So leaving it on the counter for 30 seconds or a minute won't do all that much. Of course, each glass you pour out will be replaced with an equal volume of air right away, but the air that's already in there will take some time.

Edited to clarify: the first glass you pour out, air replaces that instantly. If you come back the next day and pour out a glass, that amount of air will replace the liquid volume instantly, but the first glass worth of air will take more time. And that doesn't account for the fluid dynamics of the air movement while pouring. I actually like that Repour used the worst case estimate in their calculations, just pointing out you might get a bit more out of it than they claim.
Ooh interesting; 5-10m is not at all intuitive to me. I'll be less squeamish about reusing them now
C h 0 o n 6

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#120 Post by Karen Troisi » August 28th, 2018, 4:53 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
August 17th, 2018, 5:10 pm
I checked the website, and it suggests it can be used multiple times with one bottle. "Repour was carefully designed to absorb the oxygen of one bottle of wine, savored over several glasses, over an extended period of time. If used on a second bottle, it may lose its oxygen-absorbing capacity before you are done with your bottle." It depends on how much ferrous carbonate is in them, and how much oxygen it's exposed to with each time it's used and removed.
The use rate really depends upon how many times you open a bottle to pour - with high traffic tourist season we use one new repour for each new bottle opened as we are constantly opening and resealing.
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Andrew Dodd

#121 Post by Andrew Dodd » August 28th, 2018, 9:11 am

I've used a 4 pack, it works better than a Vaccuvin or Private Preserve, but not nearly as well as a Coravin.

They are handy for resealing that half full bottle you bring back from a restaurant/friends house etc.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#122 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 28th, 2018, 10:38 am

Just received a 10-pack. I use my Pungo often, usually when I only want a glass or 2 and am not sure when I will drink the rest of the bottle, and that works well for my purpose. But I like the idea of being able to have multiple bottles open, as well as being able to bring these with me when I go out (BYO).

DanielPaik
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by DanielPaik » November 22nd, 2018, 8:33 am

PSA: Until Monday, you get 20% your order when you order direct with code SIPANDSAVE20

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Sh@n A » November 22nd, 2018, 8:53 am

Thanks for psa!
/ @ g r @ \

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 22nd, 2018, 9:02 am

Thanks for the head's up! Tried it and liked it.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Steve Gautier » November 26th, 2018, 12:37 pm

DanielPaik wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 8:33 am
PSA: Until Monday, you get 20% your order when you order direct with code SIPANDSAVE20
thanks for posting this!
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Stan Y.

#127 Post by Stan Y. » December 5th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I tried this on the 20% off sale, used it the first time two days ago, and am sampling the wine just now...2013 Ramonet Clos Saint-Jean rouge, absolutely delicious two days ago, and the result is pretty much the same as if I'd just left the bottle out on its own - noticeably oxidized. I had the bottle open about 2 hours and we drank three-fourths of it. I'll try one day in the fridge next time, which often gives me a fair to ok result with argon gas.
S. Y @ t € s

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Robert Grenley » December 5th, 2018, 7:12 pm

It occurs to me that I need to do the following experiment. Open 2 bottles of the same wine and taste to make sure they are sound and equivalent. Then pour into and fill to the brim a 375cc bottle and apply screwtop so no airspace, then half fill a 750cc bottle and apply the Pour and half fill a 750cc bottle and use the WineSave argon gas. (Then drink the remaining half bottle.) Then compare them a couple of days later.

Then do exactly the same experiment but with wine that has been decanted and open during an evening...to reproduce when I am trying to save the remaining wine after a tasting, where we typically double decant the wine a few hours before and the wines are open all evening. Then, to see which method of "preservation" is most effective at keeping the wines that have been open a while where they were at the end of the tasting.

The only question is whether to do the above 2 experiments leaving the wines out on the counter vs. putting the wines into the fridge...which might entail 4 experiments...or just assume that putting them into the fridge is critical.

By the way, I did put the remnants after a tasting into smaller bottles and used the Pure stoppers and placed them into the fridge. 2 days later the wines were still good...which is the first time in my experience that the wines held up after their prolonged exposure to air before and during an evening tasting, despite trying filling a 375cc to the brim with no airspace and trying the Winesave. However, I have never put them into the fridge before, so that could be the critical factor. But it would be nice to know whether WineSave argon works as well as the Pour stopper which may work as well as filling a 375 to the brim with no airspace, and whether the fridge is critical.
-Bob Dylan

Return to “Wine Talk”