Wine cellars

Over the years I have accumulated a great number of bottles. Time to give it a proper treatment and put in a cellar. Would commercial public storage work? It seems that they keep their temps steady and it’s more budget friendly compare to professional wine storage facility.
Thank you

Hi, and welcome aboard!

My answer would be: Public storage is not kept at a low enough temperature to consider, and they likely have much more lax control over temperature variation than at a purpose-driven wine storage facility.

I can’t think of anything to say in favor of using a public storage facility.

Hope you enjoy it here and looking forward to other topics!

[cheers.gif]

The simply answer is no way. You need refrigerated storage. “Temp controlled” storage is not the same. Storing wine properly is not cheap.

Stan, how many bottles do you want to store?

There are neat home units people can describe for you, as well!

I would tend to strongly agree with the comments already offered, but where are you located and where are you currently keeping your wine in your house? Is your biggest issue budget or space?

If you’ve currently got your wine stored in your garage or heated living areas of your home, and you are literally tripping over bottles, public storage might possibly be a better solution than what you have now–even if it isn’t really a good solution overall.

If you are serious about it being time for a proper cellar, then I would advise that you act on that to the letter–Store in an actual proper cellar, like specialized offsite wine storage or invest in home-based units (Eurocave, etc.) More expensive, but it may mean the difference between having wine that you will actually want to drink and wine you may have to ultimately poor down the sink.

You can audit this for yourself; when I signed up with a new wine storage facility I left a little bluetooth sensor (http://www.sensorpush.com/) in my unit for a week to check the temperature & humidity swings before committing & moving everything over

Thank you everyone for a warm welcome!
I live in Seattle, WA. Most of the wine was acquired during the last 6 month. I stored it in the basement and the temp didn’t fluctuate much over the winter months. But now, as it gets warmer, I’ll be definitely will be moving it to a wine storage facility soon. Bluetooth sensor sounds like a great idea!
It appears I got too invested from the start and accumulated way too many bottles. So I definitely will be selling some on ECommerce forum…