Best books on Burgundy

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
james l moleberg

Re: Best books on Burgundy

#51 Post by james l moleberg » April 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm

The Climats and Lieux-Dits of the Great Vineyards by Landrieu-Lussigny and Pitiot.... what Tiem's Champagne book did for the region, Landrieu-Lussigny's and Pitiot's book did for Burgundy. It is a remarkable reference point with wonderful maps. Highly recommended.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by TGigante » April 27th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Juliec wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm
Thank you Tony! (All, I did realize that there are eBooks that are online and available for Inside Burgundy, so I’ll probably purchase them first.) Also, I agree to the Climats book, it is comprehensive with maps. Thanks everyone for sharing the knowledge about specific books. Meadows has a little shipping disc. on the site for his book. (FYI, there is a eBay book for about 385. Still too high. I have a feeling it’s a book that is obscure enough to be a some used book bins that are not online, but then not so available that it is everywhere.)

To turn the question a bit, what reviewers follow or references /use for individual commendations and reference points? (Still in the Burgundy frame of subject). Are they generally equal, or do you see a lens on each one? I’ve been following BH. Didn’t know what individual experiences were with Jasper Morris’ site or Jancis Robinson. In wine, each bit of support or advice has been monetized (understandable as ppl need to support themselves). That why we have to be thankful for WB!!, prince of pinot, CT, and w-s.

Also, another great resource is the French tourism bureau or burgundy vintners that have a very comprehensive overview of the regions, terriors and lieu-dits.
Cool Julie

if anyone else wants me to lend them the hard copy, let me know
Cheers,
Tony

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Sean S y d n e y » April 27th, 2020, 7:52 pm

TGigante wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Cool Julie

I'd love the hard copy, but shipping to Canada may be a pain.
Instagram: @seansydney

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by TGigante » April 27th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:52 pm
TGigante wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Cool Julie

I'd love the hard copy, but shipping to Canada may be a pain.

I can ship it postal and fill out the customs form if needed
shouldn't be an issue
Cheers,
Tony

Gaudissabois Johan

#55 Post by Gaudissabois Johan » August 1st, 2020, 3:38 am

Friends,

Just bought the book "WINES and VINEYARDS of BURGUNDY" by Favaro and Gravina. A bit of a disappointment. Lots of domaines are discussed in a rather general way. Nothing we did not already know. No ratings which made COATES' and PARKER's book so fasinating. Nor a general overview of the vineyards they all have. Tasting note on the 2015 vintage is included. I would have preferred an indication what the respective VITICULTEUR's gems were. A few errors as well : Christophe Roumier nephew to Georges? I thought he was the grandson. Eric Rousseau nephew to Charles??? His son I would suggest. Cyrille Rousseau daughter of Charles? Eric I would say....

SINCERELY JOHAN

Jerry Hey

#56 Post by Jerry Hey » August 1st, 2020, 7:31 am

R Nanda wrote:
April 19th, 2018, 7:15 pm
William Kelley wrote:If you want a deep dive into a village, try Simon Loftus' Puligny-Montrachet.
Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered a copy from Amazon.
+1

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by alan weinberg » August 1st, 2020, 8:03 am

It’s a French magazine but I enjoy Bourgogne Aujourd’hui.

Mark Fister
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Mark Fister » August 1st, 2020, 12:37 pm

james l moleberg wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm
The Climats and Lieux-Dits of the Great Vineyards by Landrieu-Lussigny and Pitiot.... what Tiem's Champagne book did for the region, Landrieu-Lussigny's and Pitiot's book did for Burgundy. It is a remarkable reference point with wonderful maps. Highly recommended.
+1

Return to “Wine Talk”