Best books on Burgundy

I’m trying to find out if there’s a book or resource which list the Lieu-dit’s of Burgundy and those which are tied to their respective growers. Specifically listing why that respective lieu-dit is different from their neighbor.

The big compendiums I don’t think consistently have that information, for example where Richebourg is written about quite a bit, there’s less on Chambertin.

Any ideas?

Hi,

This is the best book I know:

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Burgundy-Jasper-Morris-MW/dp/0951063219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524121113&sr=8-1&keywords=jasper+morris

It is classified by appellation.

Alex R.

Agreed, and I went through several…

You will have noticed, by the way, that Amazon lists the book as costing… $1,411.16.

That is obviously a mistake!!!

Alex R.

How’s the Clive Coates book?

Clive is a good writer and his books are a good read, but for straight up education and information it is really hard to go past Jaspers book (Inside Burgundy as mentioned above).

Thanks! Gotta see if my library has it before i buy.

Another nod for Inside Burgundy. I had luck calling in to BBR and asking them to ship the book internationally to me here in the US – it might be good to check if that’s a possibility for you (instead of paying $1400 on Amazon).

Try buying it from Sotheby’s

Great book, but if anyone wants to buy my copy for $1,411.16, let me know.

Remington Norman has written a couple of decent books. Grand Cru and The Great Domaines of Burgundy. I have an older version of the latter which is severely outdated, but I do see a newer edition on Amazon. If that’s been updated I’d recommend looking at that. Grand Cru has a couple of pages each on most of the top vineyards.

As I recall, the update was done by someone else and there were problems with it. I remember someone saying that the original was better in a number of ways. But I don’t recall the details.

pileon

Probably not if it’s out of print. Many out-of-print books shoot up in price, particularly hardbacks.

I co-authored a book in 2010. The hardback had a list price of $27 and sold at Barnes & Noble and Amazon for ~$20 (standard discount). When the paperback came out, the publisher stopped selling the hardback. There are hardbacks available via Amazon now from $179 to more than $1,000.

Although outdated, Matt Kramer’s “Making Sense of Burgundy” is a great resource with lots of wonderful information, including detailed vineyard ownership culled from various public records. Anthony Hanson’s most recent edition of “Burgundy” (early 2000s, I think) is also great.

The first and second editions of Remington Norman are indeed better than the new edition revised by Charles Taylor, and producers seem to have been more candid in detailing their practice in the first edition than the second. Lots of surprising insights there.

Jasper is currently working on a new edition of Inside Burgundy, so you may want to hold off purchasing for a year, or just buy the ebook for now.

Charles Curtis’ book on the historical classifications is very interesting, though the notion that scrutinizing past classifications can turn up underrated wines worth buying today is flawed since the fundamental heuristic for finding quality in Burgundy remains, in the end, the producer.

James Wilson’s Terroir, now out of print, is invaluable for its chapter on Burgundy.

Clive Coates’ books are really pretty out-of-date at this stage, and filled with vast numbers of obsolete and obsolescent tasting notes.

If you want a deep dive into a village, try Simon Loftus’ Puligny-Montrachet.

There are also quite a few interesting French books.

Climats et Lieux-Dits de Grands Vignobles de Bourgogne by Sylvain Pitiot at amazon.fr or amazon.co.uk

Ditto.

The ebook is really great with lots of interactive maps and such.

Nothing compares to Jasper’s book, IMO.