Need a 2015 for the long haul

I’ve started my meager wine collection by collecting wines with vintages with personal significance. This includes our anniversary (2012) and my son’s birth year (2013), now I am in search for 2015’s for my daughters birth year. Some of the bottles I’ve acquired are Ornellaia, Sassicaia, Il Marroneto Madonna Della Grazie. I also picked up a few 2012 grand cru burgs.
I’m pretty new to the wine game, but I’ve been geeking out so my knowledge is expanding. At the risk of sounding nieve, I feel as if California 20+ year aging is very limited compared to “old world”. That is why, with the exception of insignia and rubicon, I have shyed away from Cali for this area of my collection. I don’t know much about Bordeaux or the Rhône so I don’t know what to look for. I like to keep it under $200, but I can push $300 if I come across a deal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

German riesling!

Man, JJ Prum and Muller Ausleses would be pretty magical.

Chad I’m in the same boat as you with demand for 2015 birth year wine for the long-term. Think there are some threads on this but will see if anybody else has ideas in this one. I’ve followed the German Riesling advice for 2015, a) because i love it, and b) it will certainly be fine in 20 years if stored properly. I’m struggling with what else to buy. Rhone is said to be tremendous in 2015, as is red burg. I like Rhone but don’t drink much of it so am more in the dark. But have considered something like Chave Hermitage which I think might sneak under that $300 upper limit but the Rhone people would know better. For burg maybe lesser producer GC or good producer 1er? Some Clos St. Jacques perhaps?

For red Bordeaux, 2015 Rauzan Segla tastes promising and can be found for just under $100. I see a few mags on wine-searcher for about $200.

2015 was a great year in red burgundy but pricing is out of control.

Chave Hermitage

Thanks I’ll check out those out. I have found 2015 Pierre Amiot Clos de la Roche for something like $170, sounds good but I don’t know how reputable Amiot is.
I’ve also been thinking about Tignanello…

Tignanello is a good idea. Corison can also make the 21-yr mark, especially in mag. Also, Dunn.

Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese GKA in 750 or magnum will probably be excellent still in her old age. The Spatlese too at a song. (I agree on Muller too at a much higher price point. And Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Auslesen or Spatlese at a comparable price to Prum.)

But so will a lot of Bordeaux. Many under $200. There are a few threads already on 2015 Bordeaux. Buy a case of Ducru at your price point, and you can’t go wrong.

Or Huet demisecs, moelleux premier tries, or Cuvee Constance. All I expect will be very long lived if history is any lesson. 50+ years.

magnums.

My top choice would be the 2015 Vieux Chateau Certan, but I just saw it’s hitting $350. Still…

Rounding out my top 5:

Montrose
Leoville Barton
Figeac
Chave

Fantastic estates with track records for very long lives.

2015 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel for $155/bottle you can buy a few and they’ll last long…long past when you probably will expect.

JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese or other similarly good Auslesen. Robert Panzer at Down to Earth wines a good source…

2015 Bordeaux legendary and great names and great wines are readily available, like Lynch Bages, Pichon Lalande, Ducru, Pontet Canet, Conseillante, and many others. Any of these are likely to last until she’s of age.

2015 Burgundy is an option but gets very expensive very quickly.

2015 Northern rhone is great with many long aging examples. Could try Hermitage (Chave is pricey) from Marc Sorrel for example, or splurge on Allemand or Jamet.

In a few decades you might find some 2015 Madeira’s…

If you like Italian wines, then buying some 2015 Barolos and Barbarescos (when they come out - won’t be released until 2019 or 2020) will be solid long agers. And you can buy nearly the best wines for well under $300 (many excellent choices in the $75 to $125 range).

As many have mentioned, Bordeaux and Burgundy will be great, as well as N. Rhône, German Rieslings, many other regions. And Champagne is looking to be a good vintage from early reads. And lowly California produced a lot of great wines in 2015, many of which will age beautifully (Ridge Monte Bello and Dunn Howell Mountain come to mind).

But … what do you like? You have many choices, 2015 was a very good year in most major wine producing areas, at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

But back t

2015 was my wedding year too. Im going Rauzan Segla for the long-haul big years (and will probably add others to this in coming months/years) and for others years will fill in gaps with a mix of White Bordeaux and Bourgogne rouge in the early years, and lower growth bordeaux and Riesling for the in between years further down the road. I love the suggestions of Prum and Muller, and have grabbed a couple Dr Loosens

Do you want the wine to be drinking at its peak in 20 years ?, because a lot of the top rhones and burgs will probably still be on the upswing around then. what a great year to have as a birth year

VCC was my first thought in Bordeaux as well. Then, I used WS Pro and saw the price. Ouch.

About Red Burgs … sure they’re expensive, but they’re also excellent. If you like them you can find many many great choices between $100 and $200. Some examples - Jadot Clos St. Jacques, Bertheau Charmes, or d’Eugenie Brulees.

I agree with buying magnums. Some great suggestions; Figeac and Belair Monange can be found in magnum at your price point.

they’ll only get more expensive from here right? lol