TN: 2015 Domaine Levet Côte Rotie Les Journaries

Surprised with all the banter about 2015 Northern Rhône and Levet, that there are no notes on the two main cuvees. I posted a note a few months back on the Amethyste, which was damn nice.

This Les Journaries did not start out well last night. Clearly expressing the scale and density of the vintage, but it just came across as muddled and unfocused. Started to show more promise on the second glass after an hour open. The next day, today, this is an excellent wine. Showing some of the tell-tale Levet signatures, smoky stemminess, ripe game - think half-day old roadkill on hot tarmac - iodine and rust. Good range of tart red fruits to more rounded darks. Grainy minerality. Chewy, chalky tannins but with a very inviting sweet note. This is one of the less backward young Levets that I have had. While clearly one that will benefit with time like any serious Côte Rotie, I have no regrets on checking in. I doubt that I will touch any of the La Chavaroches.

An excellent wine that displays the character of the vintage but remains signature Levet. Glad I doubled down on the Les Journaries, bought twice as much as I did this year of the La Chav. I really have an affinity for this cuvee.

(93 pts.)

Ps. Not to be confused with an A So 93. This is legit.

Thanks for the taking one for the team and the notes Robert.

Oh Robert, you had me at “half-day old roadkill on hot tarmac”. Not sure what it says about me that I think that description sounds downright scrumptious.

Lol, then, my friend, you might be ready for this…

:wink:

The maharaja found the chavaroche very enjoyable on pop and pour. I think he drank one right after crush delivered. I really want to try em just haven’t gotten the opportunity

You couldn’t resist!

Mine are sitting off-site, where they’ll remain for the next fifteen years.

Thanks for the note, it’s doing about what I expected.

Have to try to drive down to Ampuis and fill up the trunk this summer, if I can escape from Burgundy.

Come on, William, you know me: I’m a pleasure seeker! And I’m too curious. Gotta check this stuff out!

#noregrets

PS. Just popped a 2015 Fosse-Seche Eolithe. Lip-smackingly good!

In a very loving and jealous way. I hate you. :wink:

I’m not cleaning that up.

It’s definitely the one I would choose to pop first. I think I like Chavaroches better at the end of the day, but that’s definitely a sliding scale where Journaries tilts hard on its side for the first 10 years after the vintage.

One of my favorite visits to an estate I’ve ever done. I only wish I’d had more room for the wine.

I thought that you were a Chavaroche, five o’clock shadow guy.

I am, Martin, but at age 52, I need to think about things…

This board is a slippery slope personified. 6 months ago, I owed zero bottles of Levet. Today I have 4+ cases of the Chavaroche and Journaries across 5 vintages (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013).

Vintage selection is pretty good tho :wink:

Pat is winning. #tigerblood

At least I bought my Levet before prices went above the low $50s. I “learned” from my mistake of only buying a dozen or so Gonon when it was still <$50.

Holy crap! You must really LOVE this stuff! [winner.gif]

He’s never tried it, Markus.

All I need is Robert’s good word!