TN: 2001 Ken Wright Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard

• 2001 Ken Wright Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (4/14/2018)
    Coravin’d 2 hours (natural cork BTW). Medium/light color with a clear rim. Very bright and lively aromas feature red cherry skin, rose hips and sweet spices. That theme continues on the palate adding fresh and delicate flavors of gently sweet red cherries and herb tea balanced by fresh acidity. The tannins are fully integrated and the gentle finish is long and memorable. Blind I might think this was a Beaune 1er Cru. Lovely. Drink now through 2020. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I like Ken Wright Shea. I don’t always equate Oregon Pinot with longevity but sounds like this was a winner. Do you have a lot of experience with 15ish year old Oregon Pinots? Curious if this is more the norm or outlier as this bottle sounds quite fresh. I have some 2002 St. Innocent Shea but most of my Oregon stuff is much more recent.

Ian, I do have quite a bit of experience with older Oregon Pinots. 2001 was overshadowed by the riper 2002 vintage but the '01s are really showing showing well now IMHO. It depends on the vintage, of course, but I really enjoy Oregon Pinots with 10 or more years in the cellar. Your 2002 St. Innocent Shea should be at its peak.

Thanks John. So vintage matters as you say. Have you picked up anything with respect to vineyard or producer, as it relates to longevity?

I really favor 2001. It was a lean vintage and they seem to be holding up nicely. This did not seem to be related to area either as all of the major 5 areas did well.

2001 probably treated the Shea vineyard nicely since it sits in a ‘generally’ warmer part of the region. In a lean vintage like that, it is probably more balanced than other vyds. Glad it turned out nicely.

This TN is making me want to open up the 2002 magnum of Ken Wright Shea I have.

I’m getting down there on both 2001 and 2002
2001, one bottle each:
-Elk Cove Roosevelt
-Holloran Le Pavillon
-Ken Wright Freeedom Hill
-Ken Wright Shea (I now how how good that is)

2002, one bottle each:
-Elk Cove Windhill
-Holloran Le Pavillon
-Ken Wright Canary Hills
-Patricia Green Eason
-Sineann Resonance

I started out with a case of each on release.