TN: 2001 Paloma Merlot from magnum :wow!

I have not had this wine in ages, so I had no idea on what to expect. The wine is as young as 15 years ago. Great chocolate covered cherries, lots of dark fruits, and tannin that gives good backbone. Everyone raved, including the captain and manager. Maybe some may not like the freshness of the wine, but I thought it was a wine that is just about perfect.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a California merlot in possession of good depth must be in want of a large format bottling

Their 2001 cab was killer as well. Good producer, and a great QPR at sub-$60 per bottle prices.

It still is a great value and around that price. They also have a bunch for sale going back several vintages. I just split another case of the 2010 last month with a friend. Easy to order off the website and Sheldon is worthy of your support as he tries to carry on the winery in homage to his parents

I have one bottle left from the case. This and the 2001 Pride Cab (2 cases) and Pride Merlot have given me many nights of great pleasure for many years.

Where’s that jealous emoji when you need it???

great to hear…i still have several 750ml and mag of 2001 paloma merlot :slight_smile: oh and i still have few '01 paloma cab as well. maybe time to pop one very soon…thanks for the update!

I had my last of the merlot a few months ago and it was still a beast. Needs a few more years! I only got one of the cab in that vintage and I’m not touching it for at least 5, maybe 10.

Also agree re Sheldon and the pricing - great all around!

Visited Sheldon a week ago and bought a case of the 13s. Really enjoy their wines and they’ve kept pricing reasonable.

Yep. We opened the '01 Cab a couple weeks ago and had the same opinion,

Thanks. i have one 750 left which I look forward to. This was a great bottling but it excelled in 01.

Has anyone had any recent vintages of Paloma merlot? I had some from 2002-2005, and it was very good (mostly). But, it fell off my radar for some reason.

Not since last year, but I don’t think there’s ever been a drop-off in quality. I have ab out a 12 year vertical going but I think the consistency of the wines would make it pretty monotonous tasting, but still great wines.

I just had my last 2002 Cab which was the best bottle by far. It had evolved beautifully and I went in thinking it was maybe OTH. Still have a 99 Merlot that I need to get to.

2010 is singing with a nice decant. Have gone through over a case

Had the 99 Merlot last year and it was amazing. A real surprise!