Wine Stuck at retailer

I figured there would be a point when wine that I ordered online would get stuck somewhere due to the shipping issues. I asked for 6 bottles to be shipped (ordered in winter) from Oregon yesterday and was told they can’t ship right now so I either have to wait for resolution or pay another $25 for a work around forwarding service. It’s a small amount but I figured it was coming one day and it’s been enough to stop me from going deep on 15/16 Bordeaux futures.

I also noticed Chambers has a notice up on their site now as well. Frustrating times.

It is ridiculous. I know some Cali operations have really limited their shipping but some still ship to me. I find the best places for older vintages are from shops in Cali and Illinois. I just emailed an Illinois retailer to see if they still ship to MN. Why doesn’t FedEx and UPS fight these shipping restrictions? I know the big distributors spend millions to keep the shipping restrictive.

just not worth it to them I guess.

It saddens me seeing all these shipping restrictions.

We have lived through a 70 year long cycle where the movement of people, goods, and capital grew easier every year. That cycle is reversing, and is a mega trend beyond our parochial concerns in fine wine. I wish it wasn’t so, but I don’t think its easily fought. Instead, try to adapt and overcome, finding sources for wine locally, or - seriously - planning yearly road trips to places where you might pick up wine.

I don’t think a 4 day long weekend fly/drive home trip to LA, SF, NYC, Chicago etc. once a year are such crazy ideas for the kinds of folks who would frequent this board, and spend what I hear.

I live about 1 & 1/2 hr from the western coRner of NY, I’m thinking I’ll have to order from mainly NYC stores and set up something at a mailing address that will hold wine for me. Can you set up something like that at UPS/fed ex?

I’ve thought of road tripping too but not sure if stores would want to hold long term? Maybe that’s the type of thing they will need to start considering as well.

Local is just not an option here really, I got back from a wine store where I quite like the salesman. I was looking for value Bordeaux and his prize bottle was an off vintage Clos Les Lunelles for $55.

Some stores will hold for a period of time, and perhaps if they can be convinced you will be a real/decent customer, maybe they will make some accommodation. I see the problem getting worse, so stores that adapt earlier will be able to do better I think, especially vs. a model which relied on no sales tax and lots of shipping.

There is some hope MN finally allowed Sunday Sales after a ban for an eternity. I have shipped wine to friends in Wisconsin before. Hopefully we can get some better shipping laws established soon!

I have wine at one auction house, and am worried about a de-facto embargo. A road trip is not a feasible work-around.

You can ask stores if they will ship directly to a FedEx print center for pickup. The print center will hold it for, I think, 5 business days. So if you find some stores in NY who have competent shipping departments and will hold wines for shipping until you’re ready to receive them, that could work. You just need to identify the print center that would be most convenient to you.

Theoretically, UPS will also allow shipping to a UPS store but the stores will often refuse to deal with alcohol. And while I’ve never had any problems with FedEx, I do live in downstate NY, it’s always possible that FedEx policies are different upstate.

Finally, I’ve heard there are some stores in various places that have found supposedly legal ways around the inter state shipping restrictions, though I don’t know if they work for Ohio. I’m not naming anyone here, and I’m hoping no one else names names either.

To add to Mark’s post. UPS won’t accept wine shipped via FedEx and visa versa. Actually have had it happen a couple times.

My understanding is that New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Georgia have been monitoring such activity, in an effort to protect the welfare of their citizens (especially wholesalers and retailers).

When I was back east I had a retailer who would hold orders for me over months until I could make it to jersey to pick up. If you have a good relationship this shouldn’t be an issue.

You might want to curb your enthusiasm. Sunday sales increase your local distributor’s business. Improved interstate shipping laws reduce their business. Don’t hold your breath.

Been shipping to fedex office about 15 minutes over the wisconsin line since moving to chicago 7 years ago. They give you 5 days to pick up

Los Gatos Wine shipped via UPS to the fedex store after I explicitly told them to ship fedex. Common sense to me

+1

Be glad it’s only an extra $25. When my wine was stranded I had to make 2 extra hops to receive it.

I’ve severely restricted who I buy from to avoid having to do that again.

[quoteJohn Glas wrote:
There is some hope MN finally allowed Sunday Sales after a ban for an eternity. I have shipped wine to friends in Wisconsin before. Hopefully we can get some better shipping laws established soon!

You might want to curb your enthusiasm. Sunday sales increase your local distributor’s business. Improved interstate shipping laws reduce their business. Don’t hold your breath.][/quote]
The funny thing is none of the wine distributors or shops wanted Sunday Sales and spent a lot of money to avoid it. They said sales would be the same but they would have to spend more money on employees working more hours. Once Total Wine moved in that is when we finally got Sunday sales. The Wisconson border towns use to be busy on Sundays but that revenue has dried up.

Rumor has it that the same law firm(s) that won the supreme court decision allowing wineries to ship between states is working on this situation as well. It may be a while.

Yes, its not going to be a catholic solution for everyone, but it may be stop gap for those one one coast, or maybe a few states away. Modern Licence Plate Readers (LPRs) make it even easier for law enforcement to chase down people transacting out of state. It’s not just for capturing Californians buying a suite of kitchen appliances in Oregon anymore.

An other option is just renting a box at a local UPS store which can receive shipments from all. However each store is independently owned so you would have to check their policy regarding wine. At some point the costs of shipping, box rental and time driving will become prohibitive.