TN: More 2003s Pichon Baron, Branaire Ducru, Calon Segur (all 375ML)

Following a recent '03 Duhart Milon and wanting to play with the new Coravin, I thought I’d pop a few other '03s tonight.

Pichon Baron is much deeper in color than any of the others. None of brûlé note. Nose less complex than the Duhart. Kind of international – non-descript. Palate is has more density but I wouldn’t call it rich. Not bad but really not very interesting.

Branaire again isn’t obviously identifiable as a 2003 on the nose. Of the 4, this has the most complete palate. The drying tannins and sense of hollowness are less pronounced here – but again, not a rich or powerful wine. Decent, but not something that you want to keep pouring.

Calon Segur also doesn’t show the caramel/brûlé note – more cedar and some pleasant greenness. The palate has a hole in the middle you could drive a truck through. Very (very) drying tannins. Short finish. Fruit… where’s the fruit? Hmmm.

Opened a bottle of simple 2005 Moulin Haut Laroque Fronsac as a point of comparison. It’s a well made / modern sleeper. Ah – now that’s more like it. Slightly volitile concentrated merlot goodness here – vaguely reminiscent of the 1998 Pavie. Tannins are much riper here. There is a beginning, a middle, and an ending to the wine. Much to my surprise, the best of the lot, price considered or not. Very nice (91 pts for me).

I will follow up on the leftovers with a more appropriate decant. These were all pop and pour, which may have been a disservice.

I’d respectfully disagree on PB, each one I have had has been tight as a drum. In 2030 I expect it to be like 1989 PB today, worst case is 1988 PB. Happy with either.

Your comment that it has been ‘tight as a drum’ isn’t off my comment. I wouldn’t argue with you there.

However, I think it’s an expensive bet to say in 12 years it will be a great wine. The 2005 PB is more a sure thing, IMO. For that matter, the 2001 is more a sure thing and it’s cheaper (again, IMHO).

Don’t disagree on 2005. I would disagree on 2001. Really good wine, but lacks the core to be great, but just my opinion. I’ll be betting on 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008. Didn’t get into 2009 forward…may dip my toe in with 2016.

I’m drinking a 2003 Branaire [St Julien] - also out of a half bottle - and it is really good. No sense of 2003 heat/scorch like many of the cloying right banks of the same vintage. Smooth, fruity, and fine. It’s showing really well today, much better than other examples from the same case, purchased EP. I’d give this a solid A actually.