Chicago Wine Storage at the LockUp (Strongbox on Irving), asbestos!

Well, the new owners since mid-2017, The LockUp, have been revamping this facility for I am guessing six months or so. Lots of dust flying around. Today I go over to drop off a few bottles in my locker, and a City of Chicago Building Department employee refuses me entry.

Apparently The LockUp had hired some unqualified, (perhaps unlicensed) crew to remove materials laden with asbestos. He points out the 40-foot open dumpster in the parking lot, which he says for this purpose needs to be a specialized, covered and locked dumpster. He said OSHA was on the way over at that moment.

The wine storage is in the basement, and even though no construction was done down there, since the project started, there has been a noticeable increase in dust on my bottles that are not in cartons, and on the cartons.

I have probably been there about 10 times since they started. I am hoping my health is not compromised, and NOT looking forward to this situation being remedied.

Jesus Rob, that sucks. I hope it all works out.

Hope it goes asbestos can be expected .

Damn, Rob.

Time to come out of retirement?

[resizeableimage=400,500]https://i.imgflip.com/289smx.jpg[/resizeableimage]

If it comes to that, I’ll be calling The City Terminator, Ms. K.

The potential health issues do not seem to be a problem for such limited exposure, per limited Googling.

If they clean up the dust, I wouldn’t worry about your health unless you were there all day many days a week, and live for another 40-50 years.

If your insurance policy is good, you should be well insulated from this issue.

Good choice!

Glad I moved all my bottles out of there two years ago.

mother f*cker

Take a deep breath (while you still can)… seriously, asbestos sucks, hope it gets resolved quickly and “cleanly”.

“We’re here from OSHA and we’re here to help” are never words that you want to hear. Actually, they don’t even offer to help. If the owner is dealing with asbestos (and I have) he’s a complete fool to not have the right people doing the clean-up. OSHA gets involved and the process will get a lot more involved and likely a lot more expensive.

Good luck.

JD

Today, I tried calling them, no answer, and emailing, no reply. I just came back from a visit to the facility. There is a sign on the outer fence stating it was closed today (Friday) for a Chicago Building inspection. There was, however, a construction crew in the lot pouring concrete for the new ramp. And someone had covered the dumpster fairly snugly.

Wait and see!

yup, I called, got routed to their call center (off site) and asked the person who answered if I could get to my bottles today. She was stumped. Had no knowledge of anything untoward.

The City of Chicago Building Code (or whatever) website lists the place as having filed for a permit on 4/10, but was not up to date on any new violation. I am trying to get an answer from the city as well, but since I am not a citizen I don’t have the ability of calling on aldermanic arm twisting, the only way answers come forth.

I will be stopping by the facility tomorrow and giving somebody an earful. This out fit has been crap since they bought out the Strong Box. I was tempted to move my bottles, but simply didn’t have time.

Check your storage contract, to see if it specifically disclaims operator liability, or if any liability must be privately arbitrated.

Meanwhile, document EVERYTHING contemporaneously, even unanswered phone calls and e-mails, and rebuffed site entries. Make a timelined document file.

On the bright side, at least the wine is safe from fire and theft loss.

that didn’t take lung to think of!

love their grammar—touch to start you [sic] claim—among others.
https://nationalmesotheliomaclaims.com/?kw=asbestos%20lawyers%3Fc%3Dgoogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq7bChNW62gIVTG5-Ch3aOQH_EAAYASAAEgKiTPD_BwE