How do you use the Cellar Tracker Tasting Note feature??

How do you use Cellar Tracker Tasting Note feature??

• Part I
  • I enter a note for every bottle I drink
  • I almost always enter a note on wines I drink.
  • I enter a note about 75 % of the time
  • I enter a note about half the time
  • I enter a note about 25% of the time
  • I almost never enter a note
  • I have never used this feature
  • Part II
  • When I enter a note it is always or almost always only a numeric score
  • When I enter a note it is always or almost always only a narrative description
  • When I enter a score it is always or almost always both a numeric and narrative description.

0 voters

I for one am a rabid user of Cellar Tracker and the amazing amount of information it affords me. I understand the limitations but more and more I use CT as my primary source of information about which wines I might like and which wines I buy. I also use CT notes to make decisions on when to drink wines from my cellar. The tasting notes feature provides the lions-share of buy/drink information and the purpose of this poll is to get a hack on how those here use this feature.

Thank you for participating.

i read the notes for similar purposes as you. purchase and open decisions. i try to enter my notes with the intention of helping other people use my note for the same purpose, so i try to include as much info as i can.

Use CT tasting notes quite a bit, particularly since I dropped some of the paid critic sites.

TN for almost every wine out of our cellar.

Almost always narrative and score if my “gut impression” scores, which I do not enter into the score field, but rather into the narrative section, count as scores; otherwise, I would say I score wines maybe 10 to 15% of the time.

I drink to much to write notes for all but about 25%. I use CT for inventory and read comments daily. Its an essential tool for me. I should use delectable more

I’ve tried not to resort to that reasoning, which is why I still keep writing notes. I taste and write notes on 1000-2000 wines annually, but that isn’t the problem. The tasting notes just magically appear when I’m tasting the wines. The biggest burden is to write those notes again into digitized form and upload them to CT.

Flawed poll, you left out “I used to write a note on every wine I drank with a score but now just post some of the memorable ones with my impressions and no numerical score.”

I mostly use others note to help me decide if it’s time to pop a bottle open or wait, but pay very little attention to others scores because I find them somewhat arbitrary. Often when reading the text you get the impression that the taster is finding things they don’t care for in the wine but then their score is 93? I find it a great way to help organize my notes for future reference and to remind me when I thought the best time to try the next bottle. It also is a great way to see how my impressions of a single wine may change over time. As I have only been on the site sense the beginning of the year this last part is totally aspirational. champagne.gif

The question isn’t what you used to do. But what you do now. So it sounds like there are options for you

I knew that [cheers.gif]

Hi Mike,

One of the limitations for sure. However, if it is a wine with a lot of notes the average score sorta overcomes this limitation. Also when you use it a lot you start to recognize individual raters and how their tastes compare to your own.

I rate every wine 100 or 50 at random, just to f*ck up the average

Damn, and I had you pegged at 93?

I post only on wines I drink from my own cellar. It is part of removing the consumed bottle. I unfortunately don’t find the time to post notes on wines from other sources, though I would love to be able to go back and ‘retaste’ it all and remember exactly my impressions. I almost always post both a note and a numerical score on wines consumed from my own cellar

Edit: I thus only voted in part 2, because part 1 doesn’t fit with the way I use CT

I write a note if I want to track for future.
Some are more detailed where as some as short clips.
Score if I feel like it. Or not. I don’t see why it’s bad to have a score, or not have one.

I write notes only on wines from my own cellar. And I do so to remind me of the hits (and misses) in my cellars. At least once a year I look at a years worth of notes, ranked by my score. Top end shows wines I want to buy more of, low end wines I want to avoid.

i try to write notes that will give people that own the same wines as me an insight into what the wine is doing and where it is heading, I find the whole points thing a bit off putting due to the fact that everyone has their own scale of greatness based on personal experience.

Because they’re all flawed! :stuck_out_tongue:

I try to write something on every wine. Sometimes just a verbal rating, usually a comment on drinking window, sometimes a full blown description. I rarely if ever give a numeric score.

Read only.