Lastbottle Spring Marathon

Starts tomorrow at noon EST. Anyone else find these marathons a little addicting? have always been able to grab a few good deals through it.

Must. Stay. Away.

Moon Mountain!!!

I got a few really good wines during some of the early ones a few years ago. They used to sell wines from wineries that are no long in existence. I had some wonderful Oakville Cabs, Santa Barbara Syrahs and such. Lately these little gems are harder to find, if at all. The last few marathons have been mostly a time suck for me.

I admit to the same experience.

I find I impulse buy and then get wine that was not memorable enough to have sold at retail.

I’m with Mark.

I have had some luck with the marathons. I have a few Jemrose syrahs that are Last Bottle purchases. The “shipping included” for a single bottle helps open up the selection. The marathon is a good way to add to the collection of easy summer drinking wines.

I was also lucky to snag a couple of 2013 Di Costanzo cabernets for a good price. (Delicious and elegant wine for anybody who hasn’t heard of the winery or winemaker. Think old world/old school Napa cabernet.)
Massimo Di Costanzo later indicated the appearance at Last Bottle was an error with a distributor/retailer.

this is what I love. Im still in the exploring phase of wine collecting and drinking, and have limited wine funds, so springing for several bottles of the same thing is equivalent to missing out on something else i could be trying too. Eliminating the shipping makes it a lot easier to pull the trigger on single bottle purchases, whereas normally it only makes sense for me to order from LastBottle or similar if I can find friends to split up the number of free shipping bottles with.

I used to find it a good source for inexpensive quaffers/cellar defenders, and occasionally a source for wines that are hard to find locally.
They will graciously hold until appropriate shipping weather. The downside of that for me has been a fill rate that was about 2/3s of the wines ordered and paid for. The last time less than two weeks after a refund was issued for undelivered wine, the same wines showed up on the next Marathon. For me, the aggravation isn’t worth it, and I’ll stick to their regular offers.

interesting. i hadnt heard of that happening. with how fast they fly through them i guess it doesnt surprise me that they oversell some of them. least you get a refund pretty easy, and the quick draw style of the marathon means ya dont get to be too attached to the choices you make first! haha

I’ve bought much more from them in the past - more recent marathons seem to be some gems mixed in with wines they have posted for sale over the previous quarter. Great for re-loading on something you like, grabbing something you missed, or snagging a gem if you’re fast enough. But I don’t think I’ve purchased more than a handful from the last few marathons, a combination of nothing too interesting to me and difficulty of monitoring the deal flow at work.

Meh

I already downloaded the Auto Refresh extension they recommended. Oh boy…

So, you’re not avoiding any more than I am. So much for fortitude!

I bit on some of the Keating Zinfandel Montecillo Vineyard.

champagne.gif

I haven’t bit yet. Is this 48 hours nonstop?

I picked up 3 bottles of the .375L
A. Verdet Chambolle-Musigny Les Condemennes 2014

93 Wine Spec

Wine Searcher showed a $30 price for a half bottle.
$16 each.
Anyone ever try this one?

Yeh got that Verdet Condemennes as well. Availability seemed scarce. Besides Spectator not much out there on the wine except these notes from Vivino…

“Lovely and approachable. Cherry fruit bomb”

“Earth, red fruit, refreshing acidity. Delicate and generous, very long finish”.

Also got the Delamotte Champagne and the Highlands Cabernet. It was tough trying to figure out what to buy with so much offered. Restraint was key I guess…

Seems to be. Got some Cypher the Peasant GSM as well to round out a case.

Has anyone received notification of shipment for their marathon orders?

NO!

[swearing.gif]