TN: 2008 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard

2008 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/8/2018)
Getting close to ten years since the vintage, this is just barely starting to evolve. It still has significant depth of fruit, as well as more than sufficient tannins. Deep red fruit, the merest beginning of roasted meat tones and an intriguing back end creaminess make for a very enjoyable wine, but one that still has a long development ahead of it. It seems like this will eventually become an interesting and complex wine. The question is how much longer it will take to get there.

Posted from CellarTracker

…yet another longevity problem?
We should all be so lucky.

It’s not a problem, just a statement of fact.

I’ll take longevity over an early death any day.

Calling Tom Hill . . . :slight_smile:

The '08 is weird like that. Both '07 and '09 are really well developed and drinking great. '08 is still tight for some reason.

Thanks for the note. I guess I’ll keep on forgetting about them for the time being.

2008 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/3/2021)
– bottle opened 1.75 hours before tasting –
– tasted a single glass non-blind –

NOSE: school paste; ripe, rich purple fruits; light savory/funk facet.

BODY: lots of sediment present; medium bodied.

TASTE: a little thin on flavor — almost nothing on the rear palate; ripe purple fruits; some oak; it’s “fine”, but not exciting. Gut impression score: somewhere in the mid to upper 80s.

Had a similar note a few weeks ago. Tight, tannic, not showing much “syrah” character, or much character of any sort. Oh well. Rhys syrah is usually great…guess this one a bit of a dud.