Is This a New Trend??

Namely…advertising your wine’s name in a full page WS ad (big $$$’s) but no information whatsoever as to what’s its origin??
Big ad for some wine called Sinegal. Who dat?? They make wine in Senegal?? Who’d have thunk!!
Then a few pages later, another big ad for a wine called Bellacosa. Who dat??
Neither one a wine I’d be inclined to search out based on the ad. Their websites look prentensious. I’ll pass.
Tom

Come on tom, you’re old enough to remember when this small company from Kirkland Washington was beating the competition…

Here’s from an article in Bloomberg a few years ago:

“. . .his father, James Sinegal, was a co-founder of Costco. David had no experience growing grapes or making wine, but during his own 20 years at Costco he’d overseen all buying, including of wine.

. . .he’s figured out it takes precisely 1,403 steps to get to a great wine. Seriously.”

He’s modeling his wine on Spottswoode.

Pick up a few cases.

As anyone tasted either of these wines??
Tom

Kirkland.

Marketing at its finest. Got you to talk about it…
I read an article about Sinegal somewhere last Fall and was intrigued - so, I ordered my standard three bottles (of regular Cab) and just received them a few weeks ago (held due to terrible East Coast weather). Will open one soon!

I visited Sinegal in mid November. The grounds are beautiful, situated right in the heart of Western St Helena. I found their wines to be very tasty.

Especially their 2015 Napa bottling, which at $95/per is a decent QPR (for Napa standards at least). Their Reserve could be a nice wine in several years, but too soon to really tell. They also have a Cab Franc that was delicious.

I like the wine, but having seen these full page ads in WS of late, I’d bet the prices will begin to really exhibit some Napa-flation in coming years. The regular bottling will probably be double in 4-5 years.

$95 is a decent qpr? Wow I must be getting old.

CoSTANza!

$95 is a decent qpr?

Hell yeah. It’s an everyday drinker. Back up the truck! Use it for deglazing your sauté pan. You wouldn’t use a $350/bottle would you?

My view on QPR is this- if a wine has a quality that punches well above its price point, then for ME, I consider it to have a good QPR. For example, if a wine costs $95, and it has the fruit, the structure, the balance, the whatever, that to YOU, tastes like a wine that should cost 2X or 3X that price, that’s good QPR.

Using the same train of thought, if a $95 wine taste to YOU like a $40 bottle, then… that’s a bad QPR.

I have no desire to get into a discussion on Napa prices and the relative values found elsewhere.

Anywhoo, back to making the donuts…

I’m quite aware of the concept. I guess I’m just getting old. Get off my lawn :wink:

I’m sure you are, Anthony, and I’m sure you’re not that old. You do live in eternal sunshine over in AZ :slight_smile:

That was towards the snarky post about saute pans.

Sinegal is located on the site of the former Wolf Family Estate. It is a beautiful property. I have not visited or tasted since the change.

Strange ad indeed.

Plus I don’t actually have a lawn down here so, get off my rocks :wink:

How is this different from branding any other bottle of wine? They’re trying to project a certain image with their brand, just like everyone else trying to sell a product, let alone a luxury product. Is there anything wrong with taking this approach?

(I mean this as a serious question, not a snarky one)