Help Me With Wine List - Houston's Doris Metropolitan Steakhouse

I’ll be heading to one of the hot new steakhouses (as if we needed any more) in Houston. I mostly drink Cali Cabs and there doesn’t seem to be too much on the list. I like Chappellet but not sure if it’s worth it at $135 - but then again this is one of the cheaper ones. Looking to stay around $100 give or take some. Likely 2 bottles with 4 people.

https://ucarecdn.com/1a199583-cc17-4aa7-8d11-2034f3bd1b9b/HoustonWineList.pdf

https://dorismetropolitan.com/en/houston/menus/dinner

O’Shaughnessy (which I subscribe to) seems to be a decent price at $170 but I don’t think the other guy is going to go for that much.

It’s out of your price-range and not what you’re looking for, but I’d go for the '15 Comte Liger-Belair Vosne Romanee for $225.

In fact, given that I live down the street from Doris, I may do just that in the near future.

I’m not at all a Cab expert and prices seem to be all over the map.

Cliff lede or the mt brave. Had the brave recently and loved it. Both decent prices for a steakhouse imo.

I’d start lighter and cheaper with the bussolla valpo, Shea Shea Pinot or morro Ribera de Douro and use the savings to have the oshaunassy sitting in a decanter during the first bottle.

Arietta all day.

Mistake Alert – There is no “Vaillons-Les Mitans” … . I’m quite certain they mean Vaillons Les Minots. Mitans is Volnay. They also butchered Mongeard-Mugneret spelling both the domaine and Narbantons vineyard. I appreciate you said you drink cabs, but I would hope a hot new steakhouse would pay a bit more attention. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

What is their corkage policy. I almost always bring my own when they allow it. Wine you know will be good and at a much friendlier price point.

Under $100, options are overly limited. Mt. Brave at 140 is a viable option. Overpriced at $140 (all are on this list), but underrated overall.

For $100, I’d opt for the 2014 Beaune 1er cru from A.F. Gros. The wines tend to be fuller, darker fruited with a kiss of Oak … might be a fun alternative for Cab lovers.

Josh,

I believe that Chris McFall is the Somm at Doris. He’s a great guy, has a great palate, and would steer you to the best stuff that he’s got on the list for your preferred type/price of wine if you ask him.

I can’t imagine anything wrong with the Heitz at $95. The Crozes-Hermitage from Gilles Robin got a nice review from JLL, so should be a good fit

Cannot BYOB since the restaurant serves liquor. Very few restaurants allow it here. Sucks.

This gave me a WTF moment
2011 Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, Emidio Pepe 1.5 L 1095

A wine I must have bought in normal size in Italy for ~ €30-40

I’d expect 15L for $1095, not a mere 1.5L magnum

The 2009 is a decent Musar, drinking well at the moment. $135 is a steep markup, but if you fancied something unusual / conversation-starting, then it might appeal.

At the bargain end, might be worth giving the Bussola Valpol Sup. a go for 45 bucks

Also the Cahors at 65 - it’s no Cali Cab, but will be more approachable than many Cahors, but still should put up a good fight against a steak.

Not a lot of “deals” on the list. 2001 Beaucastel is at least an unusual find for a Texas restaurant, but it’s double your price range.

2005 Heredia Bosconia Reserva is stout and would hold up well with steaks. Not a good deal at $120, but it fits your price point and is a significant wine.

2013 Paul Hobbs Napa is a good wine, but at $155 you’re getting the pork n beans on the price.

Yes, I almost mentioned the Heredia reds. I wonder whether there is also value (and a better stylistic fit) with the other Spanish wines, but I’ve nil experience with them. Others might be in a position to comment.

I thought David’s suggestion of doing the Emilio Moro Ribera at $65 to save money and then going for the O’shaunassy at $170 was a good one and a nice way to try something new. If you want to stay only with Napa and do that same strategy, the Band of Vintners at $60 is a wine that a group of us are doing together…we think it drinks better than its price point for what it’s worth. My tastes run more towards Italians, so I would be going after the Pertimali Brunello at $165.

Agree with Todd… based on the ask: Arietta

I’m curious what the logic of this restriction is. I assume you mean since they serve hard liquor, not just having a beer/wine license.

Logic? You’re talking about state liquor laws!