Sweet Spot for Aging Cali Cabs

I like Cabs from Cali. Most of my bottles are on the younger side, being 2014 and newer, but I have a couple of older bottles, such as a 2012 Dancing bear ranch. Being that I only have singles of my “older” stuff, I’m looking for the sweet spot in aging out some of the bigger Napa cabs. I know every wine will be different, but is it fair to say 5-7 years will bring a big Napa cab into a nice place?

Roy Piper believes 5-8 years is the sweet spot for Ca. Cabs. He is extremely knowledgeable about cabernets.

Can you give some more examples of what types of cabs you have?

If you’re talking the higher end stuff, I wouldn’t event be thinking about touching the 14s for at least another 5 to 8 years…but obviously everyone will have different opinions based on what they like.

Hop online and snag some bottles from solid producers from 2005 - 2008, and then even some from the mid 90s and see what you like. Because At the end of the day…it Really doesn’t matter what anyone here says because everyone will have a different sweet spot.

Depends on the wine. I’ve heard a lot of people say as a rule of thumb that you should have them at that time. And I think Matt Kramer once quoted Burt Williams as saying the same thing about Pinot Noir.

But I don’t think it makes a lot of sense because a lot of those wines don’t really change much in five to seven years. I’m not sure what you’re supposed to get. They taste good on release and taste pretty much the same five years later.

And then there are other wines that actually do evolve a bit.

And some that are just too fresh and need a year to settle in.

Finally you have some that reward long, patient aging.

You age a wine to bring about some evolution and to transform it into something that it wasn’t when it was young. That can happen a bit more quickly with some wines and perhaps some grapes, like Gamay, but you can’t rush it. With Cab, if you’re looking for a mature, developed wine, it takes a lot longer than five years and I really don’t know if you can make a blanket statement these days, because so much depends on the wine making.

Still, if you’re looking for the lush, bigger styles, I think you’re in a good place with those types of Cabs at 5 years.

I’m in the younger is better camp - 7 years of age seems to generally work for me although I will let an occasional bottle go to a ripe old age of 10.

Do you like aged wines? They taste significantly different than a young one. If you’re looking for an aged experience, I would say at least 10 yrs from vintage for a classically-styled CS.

For a more modern-styled wine, I’m not sure what development would come from extended aging so I’m in the 5-8 yr from vintage camp.

As others have said, there is no ‘right’ answer. So much depends on the individual wine and how it is made - whether to drink on the young side or to lay down for many many years - and on your preferences. Some people like the ‘power and structure’ of younger wines - no need to lay it down if it’s going to give you the ‘enjoyment’ of what you’re looking for.

I’ve opened older wines for folks who just did not enjoy them because they were not into tertiary aromas and flavors.

Sorry if I am asking more questions then giving answers, but it’s not that simple . . .

Cheers.

I’d rather taste a wine that’s a year or 2 too young as opposed to too old so I guess I could err on the side of caution and do it on the earlier side. I was looking at recent reviews of the 12 Dancing bear and a few people stated in needs a few more years, even though it’s already around 6 years old, which made me question it. Bottle was a special wedding gift so I want to open it at the best time, which will probably be our 1st anniversary in December

PSA- don’t need to be sorry. Posted looking for all and any opinions

That’s a wonderful answer.

Larry is spot on, as well.

My answer would be to spend some time tracking down wines of different ages and getting a measure of your palate - do you skew younger, middle, older?

Then, you have to calibrate that with different wineries’ philosophy - long agers like Dunn are really popping now at 30 years of age, but other wines might age-out sooner.

You’ve asked a question that will take a few years for you to be able to answer for yourself.

I look forward to other people’s answers because this is such a great topic.

Bottom line: pick a wine you like and start buying back vintages to get an idea of where you land on the aging curve, then go from there!

There are some more structured 2012’s that I wouldn’t even consider opening and are in no way old. On the other hand, some cuvees from 2012 should be drinking quite nicely right now and you could either drink or hold depending on your preference. Perhaps better to list what cabs in particular you want to know about.

Softening of tanmins and integration of oak occurs for most Napa Cabs and typically takes 3-5 years. There are notable exceptions (e.g. Dunn Howell Mtn).

Aging, or what I would consider true aging as in Bordeaux, happens for a minority of California Cabs and takes 15-20 years or more.

Most I drink are in the 7-8 year range, with a few in the plateau of 8-14. If I was going to my cellar looking for a nicely aged Cali Cab, would most likely pull something from 2002-2006 time frame right now.

Evan,

Point taken. I dig it when questions like these are asked and don’t want to make anyone feel ‘uncomfortable’ asking them. You’ll find that the opinions offered on this board are so varied - and said with differing levels of ‘confidence’ - that it may be difficult to wrap your head around the ‘advice given’ so to speak.

Keep the questions coming - and have fun exploring!!!

Cheers.

A) It depends on what you like to drink. If you like fruit forward wines then go younger. If you like secondary and tertiary complexities then go older.

B) It depends on producer and vineyard source. Wine making styles differ quite a bit among Cali Cab. Many modern examples I would say drink under 10 years without question. That being said I think even some of those would benefit from a coupla-few years rest. There are others where I would say do not touch until at least 10 years old or more.

For your anniversary bottle even if people think it needs more time I’m guessing the wine isn’t in any sort of shut down/funky phase where you won’t really enjoy it. Decant it and drink up. It’s your special occasion and that wine will drink great in large part because of your company.

I prefer aged wines so my preferred age for CA cab is 8-20 depending on the wine. Right now I am drinking mostly '02-'05.

Realize of course that this preference is an individual preference. I would only suggest that if you have the opportunity to taste older bottles it should be educational. Buy a few extra bottles of one of your favorite wines with the express purpose of letting them age beyond what you normally would.

So who’s got a 2012 cakebread Dancing bear ranch to share with me? For science, of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Define “bigger”. That can make a big difference. What is the acidity level like in the wine? Imo, without adequate acidity, aging cabs (or any other wine, for that matter) can be a crapshoot. Otoh, I think cabs with adequate acidity can easily be on the upswing for 10+ years. I think my cabs are still improving, although the 2008 and 2009 might be nearing their plateau.

For most of what I’ve bought, I’m aiming for 8-15 years as the sweet spot, depending on the wine. I’m not expected tertiaries, just integration, balance, and more of the subtle aspects to come out.

Lots will be opened sooner, a few will go longer, but that’s the range for most. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at a few bottles I’ve opened at release but disappointed in more and wished I had waited. I’ve also been thrilled to find some thriving unexpectedly at age 20+.

My personal rule for Cabernet Sauvignon, with a few exceptions, is to wait at least 10 years post-vintage before drinking, as that’s when some Cabs are starting to show signs of aging, in my eyes. I will drink them young for assessment, but as far as drinking for pleasure you’ll rarely see me drink one younger than 10 yo. My personal sweet spot is 15 - 25 years post-vintage. But I like aged wines. YMMV.