TN: Ojai PinotNoir ClosPepe '03...(short/boring)

After finishing of the two Forlorn-Hopes, I cracked:

1. OjaiVnyd PinotNoir ClosPepeVnyd/StaRitaHills (14.0%) Oakview 2003: Med.dark/bit murky some bricking color; strong toasty/charred/Fr.oak slight mousey/funky some cedary/pencilly/oldRed slight black cherry/PN/Burgundian bit fragrant/complex nose; bit tart/tangy/metallic/drying out rather toasty/charred/oak slight black cherry/PN slight mousey/wet Army blanket bit tired/cedary flavor w/ light smooth/drying tannins; very long some tart/tangy/metallic light black cherry/PN/earthy rather toasty/Fr.oak/pungent bit complex slight wet wool finish w/ light drying tannins; some interesting old Pinot things therein bu pretty much on its last legs.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This was a Pinot made back in Adam’s old/bigger style. His current Pinots are much more restrained.
    Tom

2003 was one of the warmer vintages (in fact, for me and my memory - the warmest) I’ve seen in the SRH. There wasn’t a lot of restraint in that year, even if that is what you were aiming for.

Adam Lee

FWIW, I think it was a couple years later that Adam Tolmach started aiming for more restraint, especially in his Pinot Noir wines.

-Al

These vines were planted in 1998. For such young vines that are still drinking well after 15 years shows the potential for our vineyard. Adam always did an excellent job with our fruit.