2017 Bordeaux En Primeur

Looks like WineSpectator has started releasing some scores

So far I have read a few 2017 tasting reports from James Molesworth on WS. It sounds like many of the better chateaus made out fairly well in 2017 and largely avoided frost damage, particularly on the left bank. Based on what I have read so far, the quality of 2017’s, for the most part, sound like they will range between the 2014s and 2015s. Obviously, pricing of the 2017s will be key to generating reasonable demand for the vintage given the good quality 2015s that will soon be arriving in the U.S. and good quality 2016s, which are a year away. I bought a reasonable amount of 2015/2016, so I am not presently interested in 2017 unless we hear great reports from Bordeaux in the next few weeks and prices are reasonable. [stirthepothal.gif]

No reason to buy anything early unless you want mags, 3L, 6L or 375ml. Wait til it’s released. There is an ocean of BDX sitting in warehouses waiting for the next demand cycle.

Four good vintages in a row. That’s uncommon. The pricing model will be something out of The Prisoner’s Dilemma. Multiplied by tulips. Or Beanie Babies.

This

One issue with 2017 Bordeaux futures is going to be the strength of the Euro, which could impact pricing (and buying) significantly for those of us in the U.S. We were fortunate that the Euro was a bit weak for the 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux futures campaigns, which made pricing more reasonable.

As always it’s hard to tell right now but I think it’s very doubtful this vintage is going to be in the running for comparable to any of the last 3. The yields meant that many of the chateaux were mixing varietals in tank to ensure they were filled, and then co-fermented.

Tasting is going to be essential, and unless there is a very specific wine that one needs to buy, I think there will be almost no reward for going into this EP campaign.

This

• 2017 is really not a great vintage over the board from what you can read

• Primeur period is a farce anyway: doctored samples, many chateaux don’t want to be part of blind tasting. You want to wait for wine tasting from bottles in a couple of years

• High Euro

It is urgent to wait and if you cannot wait to buy Bordeaux, there is plenty of stock

Agree with the above note regarding sourcing alternative formats early and waiting on 750s. I have recently been buying some 375s from 2015 and 2016 and note that many OF THESE 375s sold out early. A better option right now may be to focus on remaining 2015s and 2016s that have gotten strong reviews, etc. But just to add, a number of journalists have noted that many of the highly regarded chateaus suffered little or no frost damage in 2017, so there will likely be a number of quality 2017s available but IT won’t be a strong vintage Bordeaux-wide. [cheers.gif]

I am looking forward to taste the 2017s next week in Bordeaux. it is always an interesting week of hard work and a lot of fun. The best thing is to simply taste the wines and make your own opinions. There are always some early scores or comments thrown into the mix, but backing your own judgement is crucial.

With modern winemaking techniques available to all, you ever really expect there to be another absolutely terrible vintage coming out of top regions?

Yes, there will always be a hierarchy of producers within a specific region and some will fare better than others in a given vintage, but I just don’t ever expect there to get catastrophic vintage unless Mother Nature forces it in a way that we have not seen before.

“7” years haven’t been any good for the last 50 years (1957, 67, 77, 87, 97, 07) so I’m just going to assume 2017 won’t be good either.

It is true that it’s incredibly rare to have four good years in a row in Bdx – I can’t think of an example. Part of it might be luck of the weather, but I wonder how much is because there’s no economic incentive to hype a vintage after you’ve had a couple of good ones in a row.

what is your take on 2013 then?

Can’t tell if serious or not

I don’t have a take on any specific vintage but some will be more concentrated and some will be more acid driven depending upon what Mother Nature brings. But the idea of a terrible vintage is just not in the cards anymore. There’s too much money at stake and too much technology available to allow that to happen.

Have you tried any 2013s?! I mean there’s a few standouts but by and large it’s pretty damn weak. I get your point but there’s a level that technology cannot fix, particularly with the stubborn attitudes to winemaking that a lot of the bordelais have. You cannot make bad fruit good.

I think the comment about four good vintages in a row was meant to include 2017 not 2013, which most will agree was a mediocre vintage at best. Agree, new technology and ample wine-making resources can certainly improve the prospects for making good wines even after suffering weather related set-backs during the growing season. [cheers.gif]

Larry,
The 13 left bank wines are pretty bad, i.e. try to control tannins they are very soft and lack concentration. I think I gave Chateau Margaux 90pts.

I guess it depends on what qualifies as “good” but 1998-2001 and 2003-2006 were pretty strong runs.

Off we go!