2007 Rhys "Skyline" PN (and a growing concern)

2007 Rhys “Skyline” PN
Had this today.
Medium/dark garnet red with a slight onion skin at edge.
Complex nose of spice, mint, forest floor and plums.
Firm, minerally black fruit with a long, somewhat tannic finish.
Good depth to this wine with tons of dry extract.
This is still a youngster needing at least 5 more years aging, but the quality is evident.
For now: [92 pts]

Now see my note taken in 2009 just after bottling:
2007 Rhys “Skyline” PN – 12.8%
Dark red. Intense nose of iron/steel and spicy herbals.
Firm, minerally darker toned fruit with a tight finish.
This vineyard really has a unique profile. [93 pts]

This wine really hasn’t budged much in the last nine years.
It’s actually aging like a Red Burgundy, not like a typical CA Pinot.
It did soften quite a bit after about 4 hours airing.

From the standpoint of a 68 year old man, I find the typical evolution of the Rhys Mountain Pinots to be a concern.
I’m fairly confident that these wines will come around given ample time.
I’m just not so sure the “ample time” fits within my actuarial schedule. (especially the later vintages)
I’m frankly a bit surprised that these Pinots age so slowly.
For the younger winos, this is no problem.
Based on what I have tasted over the years, I will likely have to stop buying some of the mountain vineyards.
The Horseshoe, Skyline, Swan and Alpine Hillside are all wines requiring (apparently) many years to develop.
The Home, Bearwallow, Family Farm, and regular Alpine not so much.

Just an observation and a warning to all Senior Citizens on this Board…

TTT

Thanks for this observation. I guess it’s good news for me that I’m 12 years younger.

For you that’s good news. But not great news… [wink.gif]

TTT

And of course I could have the same concern about the cases and cases of 2005 and 2010 Red Burgundy that I socked away when I am now 63 and still waiting on the almost 20 year old 1999’s to come around. But that is why I am not buying new vintages of Burgs, and your point is well taken if the Rhys pinots turn out to have a Burgundy-like aging curve…how many cases can I continue to buy going forward on top of the cases I already have. On the other hand, this agoing potential in the case of a domestic PN is kinda exciting, should they eventually develop as we would hope.

In my experience/tasting, Rhys has refined the style of their Pinot considerably, comparing recent vintages to ~2009 and prior. The earlier vintage Pinots were more backward and needed considerable decanting…that’s still true on a case by case basis, as Paul reports. I haven’t seen this quality in any of the recent vintages…not that they won’t benefit from time in the cellar.

Surprised the regular Alpine would show that differently from the Hillside?

Glad I am only 51.

turn up your cellar temp. Face actuarial reality and stop buying young wine.

I hear ya Alan.
Have been implementing a new buying strategy for the last few years with Red Burgs.
(Serious backfilling and slowly selling off wines that are an age related risk).

Kept up my Rhys buying but that will probably have to change (at least for Pinots).

TTT

I will continue to buy Rhys wines, but quantities will drop substantially across the spectrum.

I’m generally in agreement that as I get older it is time to stop buying new vintages of just about anything that needs to be aged.
Btw two recent bottles of 2012 Horseshoe, PN, showed extremely well. Yes, they are young with some bay fat, but very smooth and easy to drink.

Agreed, 2012 onward are in a much different style and more accessible at earlier age. 2011 was a unique year, and I think 2009-2010 were somewhat of transition years.

-Al

I’m going to try an '08 Alpine this week in Big Sur. I’ll report back.

AO,
The 2012 tasted just before bottling was my all time favorite young Rhys Pinot.
I ain’t getting any younger so I will pound a bottle soon to test your theory.

TTT

The '08 Alpine was one of the best Pinots I’ve tasted. Outstanding focus, savory, great black-red fruit complexity, wonderful balance, depth and length. Intense, yet energetic and light on its feet. This wine is slowly taking on secondary character, but in a very measured way.

Tasted with a group alongside a superb 07 Mount Eden Estate Cab, this disappeared twice as fast.

I buy Rhys to age, and this one justifies my confidence! It is aging with fabulous grace.

I’ve actually enjoyed the Bearwallow, Santa Cruz, San Mateo, and the recalled Family Farm much more than the Alpine or Horseshoe Pinots. Presumably because they didn’t take forever to come around.

Didn’t Kevin promise to update the drinking chart over the winter?

Yup, and it is updated as far as I can tell. That’s why I wasn’t afraid to pop the 2012 Horseshoe.