TN: 2015 Frog's Leap Estate Cabernet

So I have been very intently reading Galloni’s 2015 and 2016 report, and I was quite shocked when I read what he had to say about the 2015 Frog’s Leap Estate Cabernet. I say “shocked” not in the way you might think, but it really had me thinking this was quite a significant find for the vintage and the current market. What really drew me in was that he said it’s not overblown, but expressive of the vintage, and really balanced.

Well, he nailed it dead to rights. Furthermore, it has the Rutherford Dust for those that seek it out. It’s not pop and pour, and will greatly benefit from aging or decanting. Worth seeking out.

Nice note Ian - appreciate you posting this! I’m generally a fan of Frog’s Leap. Feel like they’ve quietly/constantly been making really good, varietally correct wines for a long time. Had a 2004 Rutherford a little over a year ago that was killer, and had the ‘Rutherford dust’ in spades.

That’s what makes my post all that more interesting, I can’t say I’ve ever had a Frog’s Leap that I thought was decent, let alone great like this one. It’s nice to see broadly available wines going up in quality. I’ve been a fan of Newton, St. Supery and Grgich over the years, so nice to see another doing great things.

I will keep an eye out for this. I thought Frog’s Leap was decent back in the 80’s or whenever it was they started, and Spectator liked them, but never tried another until recently. Had the ‘13 about a year ago and I found it over the top a bit, not to my liking. But willtry the 2015.

Timely post. My local retailer sent an emailer yesterday with this at $45, I was tempted as I have not had a Frog’s Leap for 20 years or so, and it’s always nice to have some modest cabs around the house. Nobody else down here in FL likes me weedy stuff.

Just opened a bottle last week and enjoyed it. Still have another 2015, but I’m seeing a sale as well for $45 so may grab another one or 2. Also big fan of the Frogs leap Zin and Merlot

Tasting today at Frog’s Leap and very excited to try there wines based on the notes I’ve read here. I’ve seen the label for years but never got to know the story and the wines. Looks like the 16 Cab is still for sale on their website so will see what they are pouring.

Did you see this locally or online?

I cracked the very nice 2016 this week. Pricing is up quite a bit. I paid over $60.

Had the 2012 a few weeks back. Great stuff - showing beautifully with a little age.

Fred,

Any follow up after your tasting? Curious to hear . . .

Cheers!

Great tasting and highly recommend visiting if you never had. I will post some thoughts on a new thread on the plane later today. We had some great library wines

2012 Cabernet
2008 Cabernet
2003 Merlot

Along with the entire current lineup
Chard
SB
2015- Merlot
2017-Zin
2016 Cab

Nice incentive and pricing to join their club as they release a library wine with each release. The wines age wonderfully. The cab really picks up a bit of weight and depth with time in the bottle. The 8 is showing great but still young. I bought the 12, 16 cabs and 2003 merlot and some Zin.

2015 Frog’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (10/11/2018)
Hennepin Lake Tasting 2018; 10/11/2018-10/14/2018 (Minneapolis, MN): Excellent dry styled Cabernet. Stones, red currants, dust, floral and mild oak. This is really nice and balanced. You could enjoy this for a decade. Great buy for $50. (92 points)

Love trying this every year at the Hennepin Lake Tasting. Great value!

I’m a fan of the winery in general and the Cabernet in particular, although I’ve never had a poor wine from them.

A couple of years ago, before Conundrum Wine Bistro in Freeport Maine closed, I had a 1997 Cabernet, Vinnie had it on the list, iirc, for $140. It was great wine, perfect at about 18 years of age.

Dan Kravitz

$45 for the 2016 here in Chicago. I’ll give it a try.

to Greg Smith,

Please do. But buy at least two bottles and put the second away for at least ten years.

Dan Kravitz

Dan- good advice for sure. We tasted the 03 Merlot Sunday at the winery. One of the most interesting Cali wines I’ve ever tasted. Had a decent amount of bricking around the edges. The nose and palate had plenty of secondary flavors and reminded us of older Bdx that we’ve had at Bern’s in Tampa. It’s in great shape and a real treat if you want to see what California Merlot can transform to.

The 12 Estate Cab which was I believe was the first all estate Cabernet is in terrific shape and starting to hit a great drinking window. We really enjoyed our visit.

It really is amazing that many people chase the next great Napa cabernet when these guys (Frogs Leap) consistently craft high quality Cab at very reasonable prices. Their other wines are also standouts, had a zinfandel recently that was excellent.

Tom

In my early days of wine appreciation, back in the early 1990s, I enjoyed a lot of these wines. And then for whatever reason - primarily as my tastes went French - I stopped buying almost all Cali Cabs. Good to see that these wines have generally held their course, and I definitely enjoyed the recent 2016 I popped.

I do recall about 5 years ago being at a Cap Grille with my wife, and the first three wines I ordered were out of stock. Amazing. My third choice was a Geyserville, as my wife likes Ridge. They brought the Frog’s Leap Zin as a substitute. It was excellent. Cannot recall the year.