Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2330
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#551 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 29th, 2019, 7:49 am

Jay Miller wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 6:13 am
It’s all Mark’s fault.

+14 at the Heritage auction (though 7 of those were half bottles)
Opened 6.

+8 for the month which puts me at 610 or 10 over target.
Give yourself more credit than that. You are well within your consumption standard deviation. Unless your plan is <=600 as an absolute.

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7602
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#552 Post by David Glasser » September 29th, 2019, 12:24 pm

My summer buying freeze ended on Labor Day. Pent-up demand led to a big time fail:
Bought 46
Drank 12

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
Posts: 2876
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#553 Post by Peter Hirsch » September 29th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Hit my yearly reduction target with 3 months to go. Gonna reduce more and then go for another 5% reduction next year...

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14839
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#554 Post by Jay Miller » September 29th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Peter Hirsch wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Hit my yearly reduction target with 3 months to go. Gonna reduce more and then go for another 5% reduction next year...
Well done!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
wspohn
Posts: 1856
Joined: July 13th, 2010, 6:31 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#555 Post by wspohn » September 29th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Peter Hirsch wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Hit my yearly reduction target with 3 months to go. Gonna reduce more and then go for another 5% reduction next year...
Yup - I am tapering off right now, too - only one case on order and trying to avoid getting anything else.
Bill in BC
Vancouver BC

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9070
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 9:58 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#556 Post by Russ Williams » September 30th, 2019, 9:26 pm

3rd QTR has been very successful as I have consumed 30 more bottles than I’ve purchased.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

“We've got warehouses of butter
We've got oceans of wine
We've got famine when we need it
Got designer crime
We've got Mercedes
We've got Porsche
Ferrari and Rolls Royce”

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 791
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#557 Post by dsimmons » October 1st, 2019, 11:14 am

Continued to make progress in September.

September: Consumed 21 and bought 7 for a reduction of 14.
YTD: Consumed 252 and purchased 127 for a reduction of 125.
Since I started trying to cut back in 2015: Consumed 1433 and purchased 977 for a reduction of 456.
D o n

jon leifer
Posts: 542
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#558 Post by jon leifer » October 1st, 2019, 4:49 pm

home consumption light in September due to travelling, drank 6, mixed case from Goodfellow arrived Monday, so am at + 6 for the month..Expect wines from Biggio Hamina in near future
Jon

User avatar
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8606
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: South OC

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#559 Post by Frank Murray III » October 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

I'm down net 50 bottles from the start of 2019. I've got room in the cellar now, and I've passed the 40% mark for Champagne as a percentage of my cellar.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17868
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#560 Post by John Morris » October 14th, 2019, 8:44 am

I was so proud a few months back to find that I had managed to run down the inventory by four or five cases over the last two years.

Then I took an inventory over the last week and found a bunch of stuff I'd bought over the last year and hadn't added to the list. It turns out I'm only down about 16 bottles over the last two years.

Sigh.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 448
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#561 Post by JonathanG » October 14th, 2019, 8:17 pm

I had the same thing happen today. Reorganized my wine locker and did a proper inventory. I have quite a bit of stuff hitting the drinking window over the next 3 years... Not going to stop buying, just going to stop buying stuff that can't be aged less than 10 years!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Ron Erickson
Posts: 5859
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#562 Post by Ron Erickson » October 15th, 2019, 9:14 am

I'm up about 100 on the year, mostly due to those pesky 20% coupons off on Bordeaux.

User avatar
Michael Francis
Posts: 144
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Location: Keller, Texas

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#563 Post by Michael Francis » October 15th, 2019, 9:42 am

If anyone is really struggling with their bottle loss goals, I fancy myself to be a bit of a personal trainer in this area. I will put my consumption talents to work for you, gratis, to help you reach your goals.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14839
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#564 Post by Jay Miller » October 30th, 2019, 8:32 am

holding steady in October with almost no drinking or purchasing. Nothing planned for tonight or tomorrow so I thought I'd get this out of the way today.

+3 for a 2018 Beaujolais tasting this Saturday
-3 for a dinner with a visiting Salil

which leaves me at 610 or 10 over target.


Many events in November so hopefully I can move things in the right direction. On the other hand I also have a small planned purchase for next month's credit card cycle. And maybe I'll go ahead with that sale of a few cases which I've been pondering. I keep going back on forth on that. Inertia is a powerful force.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Nathan V.
Posts: 1795
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#565 Post by Nathan V. » October 30th, 2019, 9:01 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 8:32 am
holding steady in October with almost no drinking or purchasing. Nothing planned for tonight or tomorrow so I thought I'd get this out of the way today.

+3 for a 2018 Beaujolais tasting this Saturday
-3 for a dinner with a visiting Salil

which leaves me at 610 or 10 over target.


Many events in November so hopefully I can move things in the right direction. On the other hand I also have a small planned purchase for next month's credit card cycle. And maybe I'll go ahead with that sale of a few cases which I've been pondering. I keep going back on forth on that. Inertia is a powerful force.
Out-of-town guests are the bomb. No purchases in October to date and 71 bottles out the door including a couple of 3L and several magnums. We're exhausted and going to go dry until Thanksgiving, but some allocations coming in November...
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14839
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#566 Post by Jay Miller » October 30th, 2019, 9:44 am

Nathan V. wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 9:01 am
Jay Miller wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 8:32 am
holding steady in October with almost no drinking or purchasing. Nothing planned for tonight or tomorrow so I thought I'd get this out of the way today.

+3 for a 2018 Beaujolais tasting this Saturday
-3 for a dinner with a visiting Salil

which leaves me at 610 or 10 over target.


Many events in November so hopefully I can move things in the right direction. On the other hand I also have a small planned purchase for next month's credit card cycle. And maybe I'll go ahead with that sale of a few cases which I've been pondering. I keep going back on forth on that. Inertia is a powerful force.
Out-of-town guests are the bomb. No purchases in October to date and 71 bottles out the door including a couple of 3L and several magnums. We're exhausted and going to go dry until Thanksgiving, but some allocations coming in November...
Wow, I think you'll probably win this month.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
David Baum
Posts: 1315
Joined: August 24th, 2017, 5:26 pm
Location: Carlsbad CA

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#567 Post by David Baum » October 30th, 2019, 9:47 am

-11
+64

The look of failure

Nathan V.
Posts: 1795
Joined: November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#568 Post by Nathan V. » October 30th, 2019, 10:17 am

Jay Miller wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 9:44 am
Nathan V. wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 9:01 am
Jay Miller wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 8:32 am
holding steady in October with almost no drinking or purchasing. Nothing planned for tonight or tomorrow so I thought I'd get this out of the way today.

+3 for a 2018 Beaujolais tasting this Saturday
-3 for a dinner with a visiting Salil

which leaves me at 610 or 10 over target.


Many events in November so hopefully I can move things in the right direction. On the other hand I also have a small planned purchase for next month's credit card cycle. And maybe I'll go ahead with that sale of a few cases which I've been pondering. I keep going back on forth on that. Inertia is a powerful force.
Out-of-town guests are the bomb. No purchases in October to date and 71 bottles out the door including a couple of 3L and several magnums. We're exhausted and going to go dry until Thanksgiving, but some allocations coming in November...
Wow, I think you'll probably win this month.
For the year, I'm down in terms of trajectory (not overall count) but not by enough. However, my plan is to pop bottles at a record rate for friends and family over the holidays.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3178
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#569 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 31st, 2019, 3:50 am

Not a great, nor a very representative, October. We were dry for the first two weeks, then out of the country for the next two weeks, just home last night.

Bought: 8
Drank: 2
Net: +6

I didn't count wine purchased and consumed on our travels as it never hit our cellar.

Now, if you were to ask me about whisky this month, the picture is very, very different from all angles!
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7602
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#570 Post by David Glasser » October 31st, 2019, 5:44 am

Bought: 10
Drank: 12
Net: minus 2

Hoping for a strong finish to the year.
Must. Resist. Holiday. Sales.

Joel Pulver
Posts: 160
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#571 Post by Joel Pulver » October 31st, 2019, 9:30 am

Keep struggling on how to report this on here and finally settled on:

Bottles on hand: 328
Bottles Pending: 25
Total Bottles: 353

Figuring many of the pending will be in this month.

jon leifer
Posts: 542
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#572 Post by jon leifer » October 31st, 2019, 12:09 pm

drank 12, purchased 9(includes 6 pack from Biggio Hamina that arrived in October) = -3..Given some planned purchases from now to year end, I suspect there will some + figures for November and December.
Jon

User avatar
Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3961
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#573 Post by Dale Bowers » October 31st, 2019, 12:34 pm

October: Purchased 47, consumed 25 Fail.
Cheers!

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6745
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#574 Post by Mike Grammer » October 31st, 2019, 1:23 pm

rough head count over last couple months is about 40 purchased, 20 consumed. But a) I have some events coming in November which should deal with a couple cases' worth and I don't have any purchases on the horizon..for now, and b) I console myself that I'm still hovering around 400 bottles for a total cellar count. Looking forward to July 2020, when there will be at least 105 bottles in the minus category ;)
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19234
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#575 Post by Howard Cooper » October 31st, 2019, 2:54 pm

For 2019, I have consumed 10 more bottles from my cellar than I have purchased. Cannot remember another year when I consumed more than I purchased.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Jim Erwin
Posts: 285
Joined: May 30th, 2011, 1:29 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#576 Post by Jim Erwin » October 31st, 2019, 4:04 pm

Making progress

Oct 2019: -24
Purchased: 0
Consumed: 24

YTD Total: +25
Purchased: 297
Consumed: 272

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13022
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#577 Post by alan weinberg » October 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 3:50 am
Not a great, nor a very representative, October. We were dry for the first two weeks, then out of the country for the next two weeks, just home last night.

Bought: 8
Drank: 2
Net: +6

I didn't count wine purchased and consumed on our travels as it never hit our cellar.

Now, if you were to ask me about whisky this month, the picture is very, very different from all angles!
Im asking about whisky and whiskey.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2573
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#578 Post by maureen nelson » October 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm

I am reporting for two months as I missed September. I regret to admit i bought 84 bottles over the past two months - but 60 bottles are 2018 german riesling for my grand niece’s cellar.

Oh and i consumed 27.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2330
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#579 Post by Jayson Cohen » October 31st, 2019, 10:44 pm

maureen nelson wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm
I am reporting for two months as I missed September. I regret to admit i bought 84 bottles over the past two months - but 60 bottles are 2018 german riesling for my grand niece’s cellar.

Oh and i consumed 27.
I tasted Schaefer 2018 GD Kab, Spat 10, and Spat 5 last week, and I can firmly say (which is very, very rare for me) that I don’t regret not buying Schaefer (and other Mosels I purchase normally) in 2018. (I did buy Falkenstein and the J Haart PG Kab - that’s it.)

YLee
Posts: 1938
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#580 Post by YLee » November 1st, 2019, 3:57 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:44 pm
maureen nelson wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm
I am reporting for two months as I missed September. I regret to admit i bought 84 bottles over the past two months - but 60 bottles are 2018 german riesling for my grand niece’s cellar.

Oh and i consumed 27.
I tasted Schaefer 2018 GD Kab, Spat 10, and Spat 5 last week, and I can firmly say (which is very, very rare for me) that I don’t regret not buying Schaefer (and other Mosels I purchase normally) in 2018. (I did buy Falkenstein and the J Haart PG Kab - that’s it.)
What did you not like about the Spat 5?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2330
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#581 Post by Jayson Cohen » November 1st, 2019, 4:43 am

YLee wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 3:57 am
Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:44 pm
maureen nelson wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm
I am reporting for two months as I missed September. I regret to admit i bought 84 bottles over the past two months - but 60 bottles are 2018 german riesling for my grand niece’s cellar.

Oh and i consumed 27.
I tasted Schaefer 2018 GD Kab, Spat 10, and Spat 5 last week, and I can firmly say (which is very, very rare for me) that I don’t regret not buying Schaefer (and other Mosels I purchase normally) in 2018. (I did buy Falkenstein and the J Haart PG Kab - that’s it.)
What did you not like about the Spat 5?
I have not not liked any Schaefer #5 Spat. They have all been good. I just didn’t think the 2018 had the excitement and energy of manu past vintages. A little soft though well integrated for a young #5. Time could prove me wrong.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37673
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#582 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 1st, 2019, 4:51 am

maureen nelson wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm
I am reporting for two months as I missed September. I regret to admit i bought 84 bottles over the past two months - but 60 bottles are 2018 german riesling for my grand niece’s cellar.

Oh and i consumed 27.
I checked the rulebook. If you are buying for someone else (gifts) the wine doesn't count. So you are net to the good!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3178
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#583 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » November 1st, 2019, 4:52 am

alan weinberg wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 3:50 am
Not a great, nor a very representative, October. We were dry for the first two weeks, then out of the country for the next two weeks, just home last night.

Bought: 8
Drank: 2
Net: +6

I didn't count wine purchased and consumed on our travels as it never hit our cellar.

Now, if you were to ask me about whisky this month, the picture is very, very different from all angles!
Im asking about whisky and whiskey.
Let's just say I was a very, very lucky girl when it came to whisky this month. I have very little interest in whiskey.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7602
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#584 Post by David Glasser » November 1st, 2019, 8:08 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 4:52 am
alan weinberg wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 5:47 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 3:50 am
Not a great, nor a very representative, October. We were dry for the first two weeks, then out of the country for the next two weeks, just home last night.

Bought: 8
Drank: 2
Net: +6

I didn't count wine purchased and consumed on our travels as it never hit our cellar.

Now, if you were to ask me about whisky this month, the picture is very, very different from all angles!
Im asking about whisky and whiskey.
Let's just say I was a very, very lucky girl when it came to whisky this month. I have very little interest in whiskey.
I too failed badly on the whisky front last month. Just one bottle, but I had some splainin to do. Only thing that saved me was that it was a charity auction.

User avatar
Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 192
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#585 Post by Geoff F. » November 1st, 2019, 8:23 am

Drank: 10
Bought: 16
On hand: 395 (soon to be 420 after summer hold deliveries), about 70 over target. I need to throw some parties this holiday season.
F r a n z

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 791
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#586 Post by dsimmons » November 2nd, 2019, 1:54 pm

October was a slow month for us since we were out of town for a few weeks. But the trend still is in the right direction.

Consumed 13 and bought 5 for a net reduction of 8.
D o n

Jeffrey Neal
Posts: 241
Joined: November 9th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#587 Post by Jeffrey Neal » November 3rd, 2019, 8:13 pm

When this thread started I was at 1137 bottles with a goal of being at 1100 by the end of 2018. Sitting right at 1200 bottles now. I plan to retire soon, so my wine buying dollars will shrink and force me to reduce the number of bottles.

Jonathan Loesberg
Posts: 1877
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 5:59 am

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#588 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » November 4th, 2019, 6:19 am

Jeffrey Neal wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:13 pm
When this thread started I was at 1137 bottles with a goal of being at 1100 by the end of 2018. Sitting right at 1200 bottles now. I plan to retire soon, so my wine buying dollars will shrink and force me to reduce the number of bottles.
You'd think it would work that way, wouldn't you?

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 791
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#589 Post by dsimmons » November 4th, 2019, 10:36 am

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:19 am
Jeffrey Neal wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:13 pm
When this thread started I was at 1137 bottles with a goal of being at 1100 by the end of 2018. Sitting right at 1200 bottles now. I plan to retire soon, so my wine buying dollars will shrink and force me to reduce the number of bottles.
You'd think it would work that way, wouldn't you?
+1 Don't count on it.
D o n

brodie thomson
Posts: 909
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 9:25 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#590 Post by brodie thomson » November 4th, 2019, 11:07 am

October:

Bought: 7
Drank: 23
Net: -16

Both purchases unplanned so that was not helpful!

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 37673
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#591 Post by Neal.Mollen » November 4th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:19 am
Jeffrey Neal wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 8:13 pm
When this thread started I was at 1137 bottles with a goal of being at 1100 by the end of 2018. Sitting right at 1200 bottles now. I plan to retire soon, so my wine buying dollars will shrink and force me to reduce the number of bottles.
You'd think it would work that way, wouldn't you?
Is for me! Cellar will be loaded to the gills by 1Q20 and the buying moratorium is already in place
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2573
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 5:12 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#592 Post by maureen nelson » November 4th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 4:51 am
maureen nelson wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm
I am reporting for two months as I missed September. I regret to admit i bought 84 bottles over the past two months - but 60 bottles are 2018 german riesling for my grand niece’s cellar.

Oh and i consumed 27.
I checked the rulebook. If you are buying for someone else (gifts) the wine doesn't count. So you are net to the good!
You are my kind of umpire!

Scott Stewart
Posts: 37
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 9:20 am
Location: Nashville Tennessee

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#593 Post by Scott Stewart » November 4th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I thought the cellar would shrink some with retirement and a move to a warmer climate with less storage capacity. Instead, four years later we are up 200+ bottles and now have over 1700 bottles. More time to read all those tempting email offers!

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
Posts: 2876
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#594 Post by Peter Hirsch » November 10th, 2019, 4:36 am

Down 7.1% on the year with about 8 weeks more or less to go and some good 'using up' opportunities on the horizon.
And my 'open deliverables' are at ZERO right now. I'm owed no wine by anyone!
The Flickinger Henri Boillot yearly offering will push me back up when that gets confirmed, unfort...

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1590
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#595 Post by Jim Stewart » November 28th, 2019, 11:48 am

Not very successful so far with reigning in the acquisition curve. After a good start in October, November's discount deals at wine.com did me in. Acquisition>Consumption
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

User avatar
Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 192
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#596 Post by Geoff F. » November 28th, 2019, 9:31 pm

+34 bought (likely getting a couple more tomorrow)
-24 consumed
Now at 412 total. Need to reduce that greatly, so probably time to start popping extra bottles at every holiday event.

Edit: +46. Accidentally discovered Vinopolis in Portland, OR. What an amazing store.
Last edited by Geoff F. on November 30th, 2019, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F r a n z

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14839
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#597 Post by Jay Miller » November 29th, 2019, 7:24 am

starting 594

3 purchased,
5 sold,
6 consumed.

586 remaining.

Comfortably below my 600 target maximum.
Last edited by Jay Miller on December 30th, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7602
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#598 Post by David Glasser » November 29th, 2019, 9:34 am

Drank: 12
Bought: 19

Wasn’t able to ignore all of the sales. Coulda been much worse. Had a few full shopping carts that I deleted. The day's not over, but I figure by posting now I’ll have another reason to resist.

Joel Pulver
Posts: 160
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#599 Post by Joel Pulver » November 29th, 2019, 9:47 am

It's close enough to the end of the month .....

Total bottles in storage: 309
Pending: 22
Bought: 7
Drank: 36


Getting closer to my goal of 275.

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 791
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#600 Post by dsimmons » November 30th, 2019, 11:23 am

Well November was a bit of a back-slide with 17 consumed and 23 purchased but I am still in good shape YTD with 281 consumed and 155 purchased. The culprit in November was the Walter Hansel offering. They are my go to Chard producer and I also love their Pinots.
D o n

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”