Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

#501 Post by alan weinberg » August 10th, 2019, 8:03 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 6:47 am
I finally did look at the YTD figures in CT and can proudly say that we're on track to have bought less than half the number of bottles of our next "best" year, and about a third as many as an average year. That's based on purchases since I got married and caught the case-purchase bug from my husband. I expect we'll never stop completely, but am feeling confident this level is the new normal, give or take.
has the $ value of those purchases also fallen by that percentage, i.e. are you really spending less? For me, I buy less wine but I don’t seem to spend less . . . I write this as I finalize a Ramonet backfill purchase . . .

Sarah Kirschbaum

#502 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 10th, 2019, 8:21 am

alan weinberg wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:03 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
I finally did look at the YTD figures in CT and can proudly say that we're on track to have bought less than half the number of bottles of our next "best" year, and about a third as many as an average year. That's based on purchases since I got married and caught the case-purchase bug from my husband. I expect we'll never stop completely, but am feeling confident this level is the new normal, give or take.
has the $ value of those purchases also fallen by that percentage, i.e. are you really spending less? For me, I buy less wine but I don’t seem to spend less . . . I write this as I finalize a Ramonet backfill purchase . . .
Yes, the percent reduction is roughly the same in dollars as in bottle count. The average bottle price is more or less in line as well. I guess our buying habits have remained consistent in composition, just come down in total count.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#503 Post by Russ Williams » August 10th, 2019, 8:29 am

Progress is finally being made. 66 less bottles purchased YTD compared to same time last year and 133 less bottles compared to 2016 which was my worst buying year. It is amazing what pending retirement does for motivation.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#504 Post by alan weinberg » August 10th, 2019, 8:34 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:21 am
alan weinberg wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 8:03 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Yes, the percent reduction is roughly the same in dollars as in bottle count. The average bottle price is more or less in line as well. I guess our buying habits have remained consistent in composition, just come down in total count.
chapeau!

Jonathan Loesberg

#505 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » August 10th, 2019, 8:59 am

I buy many fewer bottles, but do spend more money. This is fine with me. I have no children so my retirement money is mine to spend, but I have no children so leaving wine to heirs is not a certainty.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#506 Post by Jay Miller » August 10th, 2019, 10:54 am

Well done Sarah and Russ!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#507 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » August 11th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Since there has been diminished activity in both directions, I have not posted monthlies. But I am happy to report that YTD, 17 purchased, and 41 consumed.

I am making up for the wine reduction with a strong increase in Scotch purchases.

[training.gif]
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Bryan Carr

#508 Post by Bryan Carr » August 12th, 2019, 3:00 pm

In January we sort of half-heartedly mumbled something about buying less wine this year and it doesn't feel like we have been buying less, but after reading Sarah's posts about the direction her buying has gone I decided to run the numbers to see if we actually moved the needle at all. Turns out we've bought 30% less wine so far this year than any year since we started collecting!! Our per-bottle spend has gone up marginally, but in number and total dollar terms we're way down. We're still putting wine in the cellar faster than we're drinking it but the slope of that line is much shallower this year, and I feel like the stuff we've bought this year has been much better and more thought out than in years previous.
CT: the_lovenest

DanielP

#509 Post by DanielP » August 12th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Turns out we've bought 30% less wine so far this year than any year since we started collecting!!
But you've got 30% of the year left to go! [snort.gif]
P@ik

Bryan Carr

#510 Post by Bryan Carr » August 12th, 2019, 8:28 pm

DanielP wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Bryan Carr wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Turns out we've bought 30% less wine so far this year than any year since we started collecting!!
But you've got 30% of the year left to go! [snort.gif]
I scaled it relative to the other years to come up with my comparison, I’m not doing YTD compared to the full years I’m comparing to, I’m doing YTD compared to at this point in previous years.
CT: the_lovenest

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#511 Post by alan weinberg » August 17th, 2019, 6:48 pm

I’m new at this. I haven’t played yet. So far this month purchased 24 and drank one, gave one away. How am I doing?

Return to “Wine Talk”