Monthly check-in: Cellar inventory reduction plan

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Jay Miller » April 5th, 2018, 7:44 am

Thank you Maureen! This thread has already stopped me from making 2 wine purchases. The thought of reporting that my inventory had gone up next month instead of down or holding steady was too embarrassing.

If I don't open wine I'm not buying any (he said hopefully and with totally unwarranted optimism).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Robert Grenley » April 5th, 2018, 4:56 pm

jon leifer wrote:To address Robert G's comments, I am well into my sunset years(some might say that the sun set a long time ago), hence the need to reduce inventory, neither my wife nor my kids drink reds, so I have been drinking down the reds and only buying(with a few exceptions) whites and rose for current drinking..Have reduced inventory by about 100 bottles/year over the last 3-4 yrs and hope to continue to do so this year..No purchases since January and still drinking 2-3 bottles/week.
Yes, you meet 1 or 2 of the criteria for cellar reduction!
Apporoved!
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by maureen nelson » April 5th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Jay Miller wrote:Thank you Maureen! This thread has already stopped me from making 2 wine purchases. The thought of reporting that my inventory had gone up next month instead of down or holding steady was too embarrassing.

If I don't open wine I'm not buying any (he said hopefully and with totally unwarranted optimism).
Glad to help. I was reading a Fine Wine Review on an Alsace producer and a tasting and pulled up my inventory to see which of his wines I own and realized I hadn’t entered a couple of bottles I’d bought last month. So my inventory went up even tho I haven’t bought anything!

Larry Stein

#54 Post by Larry Stein » April 5th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Im still in buying mode. I’m turning 64 next month (yup, queue up that Beatles song). My cellar has been hovering around 925 bottles for the past year or so. That will change when I retire in 2 years. My wine purchases will drop dramatically when I stop working. As the saying goes, “Get while the gettins’ good.”

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Robert Grenley » April 5th, 2018, 9:12 pm

I drank a bottle of wine tonight, and I did not buy any wine today...I looked, but did not buy...so my cellar reduction is underway.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Jay Miller » April 6th, 2018, 7:56 am

Larry Stein wrote:Im still in buying mode. I’m turning 64 next month (yup, queue up that Beatles song). My cellar has been hovering around 925 bottles for the past year or so. That will change when I retire in 2 years. My wine purchases will drop dramatically when I stop working. As the saying goes, “Get while the gettins’ good.”
Then join this thread in 2 years. Shoo, shoo!

neener

J a y H a c k

#57 Post by J a y H a c k » April 6th, 2018, 8:25 am

I opened three bottles on Monday night for the NCAA Finals. I bought no bottles on Monday. (-3, but one of those was not in CT, so it only counts as -2)

Last night I found 38 empty slots in my cellar and promptly filled them with wine on the floor in cases that the legal ruling above indicated I could consider "in transit" and thus not on the list, so (+38)

After entering the 38 wines I found four slots that had two bottles per location because I had forgotten to remove them and cleaned that up. (-4).

Net for the week to date, +32. Not a good result.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Jay Miller » April 6th, 2018, 8:33 am

J a y H a c k wrote:I opened three bottles on Monday night for the NCAA Finals. I bought no bottles on Monday. (-3, but one of those was not in CT, so it only counts as -2)

Last night I found 38 empty slots in my cellar and promptly filled them with wine on the floor in cases that the legal ruling above indicated I could consider "in transit" and thus not on the list, so (+38)

After entering the 38 wines I found four slots that had two bottles per location because I had forgotten to remove them and cleaned that up. (-4).

Net for the week to date, +32. Not a good result.
That's why you have to count wine on the floor and pending bottles in the initial inventory. It's equivalent to having a huge banana split just before your first Weight Watchers weigh in.

Mark Mason

#59 Post by Mark Mason » April 6th, 2018, 9:48 am

Russ Williams wrote:Thanks guys!! Yeah, I’m screwed from a storage cost perspective. Anyone have any good insights on a reasonably priced climate controlled storage facility? Domaine Wine Storage is a tad expensive.
Russ, you're welcome to store wine in my passive cellar, nine feet underground. You'll have an RV and can pass through town anytime to reload.
Hard water fisherman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by lleichtman » April 6th, 2018, 9:53 am

Dropped from 1400 to 1200 bottles over last year. Will drop down to 1000 this year. Only buy daily drinkers now. None to hold.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by maureen nelson » April 6th, 2018, 2:33 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:I opened three bottles on Monday night for the NCAA Finals. I bought no bottles on Monday. (-3, but one of those was not in CT, so it only counts as -2)

Last night I found 38 empty slots in my cellar and promptly filled them with wine on the floor in cases that the legal ruling above indicated I could consider "in transit" and thus not on the list, so .
No my ruling was the opposite. Everything you own whether still to be imported or at the store or in boxes on your floor counts as towards your starting. But because you already owned them, shelving them doesn’t change your count. But include them in your startung figure.

Randall McFarlane

#62 Post by Randall McFarlane » April 6th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Overruled! The relevant statute reads: "A well-regulated inventory being necessary to the existence of free space in the basement, anything not on CT or in racks doesn't count."

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by todd waldmann » April 7th, 2018, 8:51 am

At the present rate of consumption, my current inventory would be perfect- If I were scheduled to reach the age of 21 in 2025 and I manage to live to the ripe old age of 175.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by john stimson » April 7th, 2018, 10:27 am

Lot's of legalese on the thread here. From the medical perspective, it's the patient asking "how long have I got, Doc?"

"Well, Mr Hack, based upon your cellar size, it looks like you only have 327 years left to live."

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Robert Grenley » April 8th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Purchased 1 bottle yesterday but opened 3, so net -2.
-Bob Dylan

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Jay Miller » April 23rd, 2018, 12:09 pm

7 days to go, the suspense is killing me.

Fortunately all 3 of my bids at Sotheby's failed. I expected that, I didn't bid above the high estimate on any of them.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by lleichtman » April 23rd, 2018, 1:45 pm

We were making progress then my wife says go out to the car and ask me move those 2 1/2 cases of wines into the cellar. Seems a friend of ours gave her 20 more bottles. Oh well, more drinking in store including a 1987 Corton Charlemagne that we opened for brunch on Sunday.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Bdklein

#68 Post by Bdklein » April 23rd, 2018, 2:00 pm

lleichtman wrote:We were making progress then my wife says go out to the car and ask me move those 2 1/2 cases of wines into the cellar. Seems a friend of ours gave her 20 more bottles. Oh well, more drinking in store including a 1987 Corton Charlemagne that we opened for brunch on Sunday.

It doesn't count if the wines are gifts.
Bruce Klein

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#69 Post by Todd F r e n c h » April 23rd, 2018, 2:00 pm

Net -5 for the month so far!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Chris Seiber » April 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm

I’m not I sure embrace the premise that having 2,400 bottles instead of 2,500 is some important thing. But we’re all crazy around here in various ways.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Jay Miller » April 24th, 2018, 7:32 am

Chris Seiber wrote:I’m not I sure embrace the premise that having 2,400 bottles instead of 2,500 is some important thing. But we’re all crazy around here in various ways.
Do you go to AA meetings to say "I'm not sure staying sober for 3 days is some important thing"?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#72 Post by Todd F r e n c h » April 24th, 2018, 10:22 am

Net -7 for the month
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Jim Erwin

#73 Post by Jim Erwin » April 24th, 2018, 10:36 am

+14 month to date........FAIL.

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Mark C » April 24th, 2018, 10:43 am

Randall McFarlane wrote:Overruled! The relevant statute reads: "A well-regulated inventory being necessary to the existence of free space in the basement, anything not on CT or in racks doesn't count."
Yer missin’ a few amphibolous commas there bub.

[snort.gif]

[rofl.gif]

[welldone.gif]
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

Sarah Kirschbaum

#75 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 24th, 2018, 12:35 pm

With Jonathan still dieting, some travel and me in NY half the time, our inventory consumption is sadly down. We're at +6 this month so far.

David Baum

#76 Post by David Baum » April 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I dont track my inventory or purchase per se but I have made a conscious effort to taper back purchases considerably. Just got my 2 credit card bills and they both came in far lower than i would have expected. Its probably a good thing i wasnt paying attention to how much i was spending as it was about the same as my SoCal mortgage.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by lleichtman » April 24th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Bdklein wrote:
lleichtman wrote:We were making progress then my wife says go out to the car and ask me move those 2 1/2 cases of wines into the cellar. Seems a friend of ours gave her 20 more bottles. Oh well, more drinking in store including a 1987 Corton Charlemagne that we opened for brunch on Sunday.

It doesn't count if the wines are gifts.
Is there a mouth-open emoji. [wow.gif]
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Bryan Price » April 24th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Net -7 for the month
I can't tell if this thread is celebrating frugality, restraint or flat out binge drinking, but I support you guys. [cheers.gif]
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 25th, 2018, 3:56 am

+220 for the month as some winter and fall purchases arrived. Included 3 cases of magnums so the net should be counted as 238.
ITB

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Leonard Taylor » April 25th, 2018, 5:15 am

My efforts at reduction are shot this year due to three wine trips. One to Walla Walla already completed with disastrous results. Wine arrives daily. Upcoming trip to Napa & Sonoma will probably be the same buying binge. Then on to Willamette Valley this fall. I am screwed.
Leonard Taylor

AndrewH

#81 Post by AndrewH » April 25th, 2018, 8:30 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:+220 for the month as some winter and fall purchases arrived. Included 3 cases of magnums so the net should be counted as 238.
I think there's a high degree of seasonality . . . winter and fall tend to be accumulating seasons, because of various mailing lists plus Fall sales. Spring/summer tend to be reduction seasons as one drinks those wines. The true test isn't how much reduction you get over the summer, but how much over the winter.
Andrew H e i m e r t

David Lewin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by David Lewin » April 25th, 2018, 12:47 pm

For me, looking at things by month is not useful - your mileage may vary. Several years ago, I decided to try to reduce my inventory by two to three cases a year and I've reduced by 164 bottles in the past six years, primarily by reducing my purchases a bit; my consumption remains pretty stable. I am now 68 with 1,072 bottles. I'm not worried about not drinking all my wine, as I have nephews who take any leftovers when the time comes, or I may (try to) accelerate the rate of reduction.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Jay Miller » April 30th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
I have 644 bottles and hope to reduce that to 600 by the end of the year. Same goal as last year but maybe this thread will help.
Opened 5 bottles in the month of April, purchased none.
Now at 639.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by M. Dildine » April 30th, 2018, 4:47 pm

I'm at 688 with small purchases of Rhys and Biale to purchase in May. Progress.
Cheers,

Mike

Richard Albert

#85 Post by Richard Albert » April 30th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Daily drinkers come and go and do not figure into my cellar tally as there is a consistent, diverse three to four case supply on hand, they do not get aged and therefore do not count in my "real" inventory.
After many decades in the fine and rare end of the biz: I have rare bottles, old bottles, bottles with emotional/sentimental attachments, bottles to consume with specific folks, bottles for tastings, bottles just for me and my honey and some cool mags, all of which number in the 500 bottle range.
If my health or palate starts to fail, I will reduce these numbers radically. If not, attrition will take four or five bottles per month. On Sat, two 1983's were opened, one blew minds.
The Wine Weasels tasting group discussions about which bottle(s) are wanted on a controlled drip tube taped to the corner of my mouth when my health is in serious decline, have been determined. I do not want to check out before the last 1959 is consumed. The case of juice for my wake has been determined as well. Party on, Garth!
Dad lived to be 89 and was not overly health conscious. My honey is a veggie and I rarely eat red meat, mostly seafood and poultry. I hike several times a week.
I will revisit my case(s) later and with any luck, or with no runaway truck bearing down on me...L8R
ITB

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by David Glasser » April 30th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Minus 7 for April. Still going in the right direction.

Pat Martin

#87 Post by Pat Martin » April 30th, 2018, 6:56 pm

-8 in April.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Paul McCourt » April 30th, 2018, 7:02 pm

I have simply failed this month. Minimally, but still a fail. This month will be worse, since I will stock up for the summer.

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Diane Kessler » April 30th, 2018, 7:33 pm

Consumed 14 bottles, bought 7. Down 7 in April.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by maureen nelson » May 1st, 2018, 4:38 am

Reporting in at 2538 bottles, which includes a purchase of four bottles of Kevin’s new Italian cru - a net reduction of seven bottles

Mike Evans
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#91 Post by Mike Evans » May 1st, 2018, 6:26 am

-14 net reduction, which is starting in the right direction. At this rate, I only have 28 years of wine left.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Jay $$ Winton » May 1st, 2018, 6:41 am

I'm buying very little red and drinking my cellar so a positive. I don't count seasonal wines as they are bought to be consumed over the summer.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Jay Miller » May 1st, 2018, 6:46 am

Mike Evans wrote:-14 net reduction, which is starting in the right direction. At this rate, I only have 28 years of wine left.
Ouch. Looking at it that way I have 16 years worth of wine.

Jayson Cohen

#94 Post by Jayson Cohen » May 1st, 2018, 6:59 am

maureen nelson wrote:Reporting in at 2538 bottles, which includes a purchase of four bottles of Kevin’s new Italian cru - a net reduction of seven bottles
LOL. That’s definitely not statistically significant, but extrapolating at this rate you will finish drinking your stash in 30 years.

Pat Martin

#95 Post by Pat Martin » May 1st, 2018, 7:14 am

I keep telling myself that if (a) I stop wine buying full stop, and (b) I keep going through wine at the same rate as in my 40’s, I only have 11 years of wine.

Feel free to question the assumptions, but not the math!
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Sarah Kirschbaum

#96 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 1st, 2018, 7:34 am

Had some people over to the house this past weekend, so ended the month net down by 8 bottles! 32 in and 40 consumed.

Sorry, Maureen - I only keep accurate records of when things are purchased, not when they are delivered, so my numbers will reflect additions at purchase time.

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by dsimmons » May 1st, 2018, 11:10 am

I am pretty happy with 34 consumed and only 15 purchased. Net -19. This pushes me under 2400 hopefully on my way to <2000.
D o n

Subu Ramachandran

#98 Post by Subu Ramachandran » May 1st, 2018, 11:38 am

I have hit the storage limit, time to drink down the overflow. Was hard at first, but now feels good to pass on the offers.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by maureen nelson » May 1st, 2018, 11:41 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Had some people over to the house this past weekend, so ended the month net down by 8 bottles! 32 in and 40 consumed.

Sorry, Maureen - I only keep accurate records of when things are purchased, not when they are delivered, so my numbers will reflect additions at purchase time.
When purchased is correct because that is when you own it

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by maureen nelson » May 1st, 2018, 11:42 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
maureen nelson wrote:Reporting in at 2538 bottles, which includes a purchase of four bottles of Kevin’s new Italian cru - a net reduction of seven bottles
LOL. That’s definitely not statistically significant, but extrapolating at this rate you will finish drinking your stash in 30 years.
Right. You need to visit and help!

Return to “Wine Talk”