TN: Two Novy Syrahs...(short/boring)

Had these two over the last few days:

1. Novy Syrah SimpsonVnyd/DryCreekVlly (14.3%) SantaRosa 2006: Dark color w/ some bricking; rather peppery/blackberry/spicy/boysenberry/Syrah some toasty/Siduri oak fairly mature Syrah/complex nose; lightly tart/tangy bit cedary/pencilly/tired some blackberry/Syrah/spicy/bit peppery some toasty/Siduri oak flavor w/ light drying tannins; long bit cedary/pencilly/oldRed some blackberry/Syrah/spicy/peppery some complex some toasty/Siduri oak finish w/ light astringent/drying tannins; clearly on the down side but still enough fruit to offer up some pleasure.

1. Novy Syrah JudgeFamilyVnyd/BennettVlly (13.5%) 2008: Dark color w/ slight bricking; strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy slight peppery/c-c/licorice light Siduri/oak/smokey somewhat complex nose; rather tart/tangy/steely/metallic somewhat lean/drying some blackberry/Syrah bit c-c/black pepper light Siduri/oak flavor w/ modest tangy/bitey tannins; very long strong blackberry/Syrah/peppery/c-c rather tart/acid/lean/grapefruity some Siduri/oak finish w/ light brittle/drying tannins; lacks the usual Novy Syrah lushness; quite a nice c-c Syrah nose but pretty lean/brittle/screechy on the palate; clearly on the downside; drink up.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I was expecting these to be in better shape than they were. Preferred the Simpson slightly because it was more pleasant on the palate.
    Tom

Thanks Tom,
I see I have handful 2007-2009 Novy’s I should consider drinking up.

Thanks for the note, Tom!!

I honestly expected to read another TN of praise for the Novy single-vineyard Syrahs’ ability to hang in there.

13.5% alcohol on the Judge tells you a lot about the end of the 2008 growing season.

Adam Lee