I’m 93 points on that [POLL]

A taster gives every wine 93 points. What say you?

• Clever!
  • Asshat!

0 voters

No tasting notes were harmed in the making of this poll.

The question gives me too much ennui to be able to choose.

I think it was supposed to be a joke. Poopy poll.

Full disclosure: I voted “clever”

Everyone hates Parker but they love the points.

9KAGwNtI26w

I’m 84pts on this thread.

There should be a “who cares” option.

+1

You know that person who tells a really funny joke and you laugh? And then they tell the same joke again and you laugh again because, you know, it’s a clever joke? And then they tell the joke again, and you laugh again, but this time out of courtesy? And then they tell the same joke again, and you kinda groan/chuckle? And then they tell the same joke again, and you barely sigh a short chuckle and quickly look away because it has become old? And then they tell the same joke again and you sigh and roll your eyes because now it’s not clever? And then they tell the same joke again and you don’t laugh at all? And then they tell the same joke again and you ask them to stop? And then they tell the same joke again and you ask them to stop because it’s not funny anymore? And then they tell the same joke again and you ask them to stop because now they’re being irritating? And then they tell the same joke again and you tell them to stop? And then they tell the same joke again? And then they tell the same joke again? And then they tell the same joke again? And then they tell the same joke again? And then they tell the same joke again? And then they tell the same joke again? And then they tell the same joke again? … eventually, that person is just irritating.

Conceptually I agree with Brian, however this joke has created its own cottage industry of people who would normally claim that points don’t matter, yet are incensed by someone giving the same rating to every wine. So it keeps on giving.

VRMT03Z6qPA

0w6L93kD3xw

I think this whole discussion is just so darned funny.

Why can’t some just consider this the same as Tom Hill’s (long/boring) before each of his eloquent posts? We all know that they are NEVER boring but I don’t think anyone is irritate with that, are they?

Just ignore the points and enjoy reading his notes . . .

Cheers.

The joke, at this point, is a Big fck You, however. Why is that? Because the points assigned are a lie. If someone doesn’t believe in points, they can simply not assign any. Or, if they want to take a joking stance on it, do what Dan Kravitz (iirc) used to do — assign points with a decimal point or two, just to highlight the “silliness” of points (for example, he’d give a wine he scored 85 points 85.37 points, or a 93 point wine 93.03 points, etc. etc. etc. …). Assigning 93 points to every wine is simply not helpful. It’s not honest. There’s been many times I’ve read one of those user’s notes, and as I was reading the note I was not getting a clear indication as to how much that user did or did not like the wine. I get to the end of the note and see “93 points” and think, “Oh, they really liked this wine a lot.” And then I remember this user likes to engage in this now-tired joke, and get irritated that I was just fcked with. Additionally, it’s a Big f*ck You to those folks who take scoring seriously.

Again, I thought the joke was funny at first. But it has now become old. The joke is now the type of joke where the person telling the joke derives pleasure out of irritating others — those types of jokes, when repeated ad nauseum, are mean. It’s a jerky move. It’s a sign of immaturity. And I don’t expect it to stop.

Larry,
Tom’s “long/boring” is self-deprecating, and is not materially dishonest. This user’s “joke” is now simply a way to be irritating to be others. At this point, it’s just mean.

Because in their heart of hearts. They do care about points.

So you’re saying you’re guided by someone’s points. Cause if he didn’t have any points at all you’d still have this issue.

If not for the Big f*ck You, I’d engage the user with questions/conversation, Charlie. At this point, however, I now consider the person a jerk and have no interest in conversing with them.

I do find points helpful, but I do not consider them the end-all be-all by any stretch. I score about 10% of the wines I drink, but I’m always honest about it when I do.

Brian,

I guess we’ll just agree to disagree, my friend. I don’t find it irritating or mean, but I guess others do. C’est la vie . . .

I remember when I used to ‘get upset’ about posts that seemed overly ‘mean’ and I was told over and over again to ‘just deal with it’ or ‘add them to your ignore list’.

Cheers.

Trolls gonna troll.

The ridiculous part of the whole matter is that supposedly it’s some great victory over point whores. You’ll get this pointed out to you by people who of course are too cool to care about the points themselves, by telling you his real scores are on CT. That’s that sort of rich irony you can’t invent if you’re trying.

Is he trolling? Kidding? Making a statement? Does it really matter anymore? Just skip the threads. Let folks stand in a circle and congratulate themselves.