Salt & Stone in Kenwood w/'97 Arrowood Reserve Speciale

My wife and I stopped into Salt & Stone (used to be the Kenwood Restaurant) just off of Hwy 12 after last weekend’s film festival in Sonoma for dinner. Upon perusing the wine list, we were surprised to see 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Cabernet Sauvignon, all priced around $140/btl! We ordered the '97 and it was a total knockout. According to our waiter, these old wines were inherited with the cellar with the new purchase of the restaurant where they have been stored since release. A quick glimpse at Winesearcher shows this wine is retailing for $190-$279 so if you’re in the area and looking for an excellent meal and a world-class bottle of Cab at a great price, check these guys out.

Tried to get in for lunch a couple of weeks ago and it was an hour plus wait… too bad. How was the food?

Yeah the place does seem to be perpetually busy/full. We actually were lucky and snagged a two top at the bar fairly quickly. The food was delicious and fairly priced. I curtailed my choices in deference to my wife as she is pregnant and drinking the majority of that bottle in front of her was already bad enough haha. We ordered the grilled octopus app to share, and then I had filet mignon and she went with the salmon. Both tasty.

I bought some of the Arrowood Reserve Speciale Cabs back in the day when they were reasonably still priced. I think I bought some 95, 96, and 97. I had my last bottle of 97 about 3-years ago and I agree with your comment. It was one of the best Cali Cabs I have ever had. Just a superb Cab that aged well…

I drove past on my way to SF on Friday and it was packed. Might try it on a week night. BTW, Arrowood is just across the highway and make very good wines in that era.

had a 95 recently and it was very, very good. not great but still a lovely well aged cab

Thanks for the tip on the list!

…but every time I drive by (2-3 times a week) all I can think of: http://www.hipsterbusiness.name

My wife and I shared a bottle of '95 Reserve on my bday in December of 2016 at Stark’s in Santa Rosa, and it was lovely. Compared to the 97 tho, it was much more on the feminine side and showing its age while the 97 still seems to have quite a future in front of it. We’ll be back to try the other vintages so long as they’re available on the list.