TN: 2015 Guillaume Gilles Cornas

Disclaimer: I sell Guillaume Gilles wines.

These arrived in my warehouse last week and I was anxious to have a look at at bottle, being mildly concerned that it may be over the top for me, as I am finding some 2015 red Burgundies (but no 2015 northern Rhones thus far). My concern was quickly laid to rest by the nose alone, where it is fresh and raw, with violets and blue fruits, akin to what I get from Thivin’s Cote de Brouilly (I believe that it is the granite soils). On the attack, there is a rush of pure, granite-infused fruit, which is clean (nothing weedy or even peppery) and supple. It fills the mid-palate and finishes with some grip but, surprisingly at this young age, nothing brusk. Serge Feregoule in Gigondas already uses the name Sang des Cailloux, or “blood of the stones,” but that would be fitting for this wine. It picked up depth and intensity as at the evening went on. The concise impression of a second taster: “rich, saturated, much more than fruit, beautiful texture.” I expect that this will be enjoyed young, in 30 years, and everything in between.

Sounds great Martin. Not a producer that I am familiar with but your note reminds me of Pierre Gaillard St Joseph which I would describe similarly.