Wine Temp/Storage question

I store my wine at on wine storage facility and take home only 1-3 bottles that I will consume within one to three weeks. When I bring them home I store them in wine styrofoam shipping container inside the cardboard box and keep in a room that never goes above 80 degrees.
In this scenario do you think the temp affects the wine in such a short period of time? When I pull them out for consumption the bottles are not warm. For those that store wine offsite how do you manage this issue and avoid having to make frequent trips to the storage facility?

Get a (small if you don’t have space) wine fridge for the nicer bottles and store the rest at room temperature… I have one that fits only 18 bottles, but it’s enough to reduce trips to storage to about once a month…

Shouldn’t be a problem at all if the room never goes above 80 degrees as you stated. I don’t think there will be any problems with the wines. For me, I just put them in the fridge - especially since I know I’ll consume these bottles over the course of a 2-3 weeks. I’d rather have my wines in 35 degrees for a few weeks than at my home (SoCal), where temps could potentially be higher than 80 degrees. I just take it out of the fridge 3 hours in advance to let it come back to “cellar temp” before opening.

I’d have no concern about bottles sitting at 75* for a couple/few weeks.

Agree with others - no problem whatsoever . . .

When I bring them home I store them in wine styrofoam shipping container inside the cardboard box and keep in a room that never goes above 80 degrees.
In this scenario do you think the temp affects the wine in such a short period of time? When I pull them out for consumption the bottles are not warm.

I agree with the comments but why do you do this? What benefit is to be gained by leaving them in styrofoam for a few days? And when you say they are not warm, that means warm to your touch, but neither is anything else glass or metal that you’ve been leaving around the house.

I don’t think there’s a problem at all, but I’d get rid of the styrofoam since I doubt that you’re getting much benefit after the first few hours. And actually, I’d keep them in the fridge if I were worried.

I would keep the bottles in your fridge as well. We also tend to drink the red wine too warm anyway.

I would keep them in the styro because for at least a few days, the wines will retain some amount of the cellar temp. It also guards against accidents…knockover accidents, etc. I don’t like sticking red wines in the regular refrigerator. Nothing scientific to back this up, but it is my understanding that wines don’t like great variations in temperature. The gradual coming to room temp in the styro I think serves the purpose better. But bringing home 3 bottles at a time sounds like a real drag. I’d get whatever at-home unit you have space for, and give yourself a break.

My thinking is that by leaving inside the styrofoam it would protect them getting to warm or accidentally knocking it over.
I have a 200 bottle wine frig/cellar vinotheque but I don’t want to run it for a few bottles, either I run the one at home or the pay for the offsite storage and I rather pay the offsite (don’t have to worry about cooling breaking down in the summer, etc).

Zero concern. The same answer if they spend several months in that situation instead of a few weeks.

I’ll bet anyone any amount they couldn’t pick out the difference in a blind tasting between bottles of the same wine that had spent the last six months in room temperature versus the professional storage.

Why do you keep an empty 200 bottle wine fridge?

It hasn’t been long since I moved my wine to an offsite after the cooling unit on the wine fridge failed. Its been replaced now and I’m thinking of selling it.

You can get small things to handle what you need for about $300 or so. 6 - 50 Bottle Wine Coolers - Wine Enthusiast

I would just sell the 200unit if your not using it and buy a smaller 30-50 unit.

I keep wine in the house in a styro shipper inside a WineTote :slight_smile: For weeks and months. Except in summer, then they all stay in the cellar. The shipper is perfect mitigation of extreme temp variation; temps and humidity change slowly inside layers of insulation. Agreed that the insulation initially becomes cooled by the 55F wine bottles you place inside. Keep that puppy in an internal closet and even better. Wine turducken.

R value of styrofoam is only 5 per inch. Sucks for insulation. Good only for protection. 80 is too warm—get a small fridge, as opined already.