TNs: 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne & Krug Brut Grand Cuvee 164eme

Got together with a few Berserkers last night to drink some Champagne. Good night, with limited bottles allowing real focus on a couple wines. Was enlightening pairing these two side by side.
Two compelling Champagnes.

• 2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne (3/21/2018)
    This shows big tropical fruit notes on the nose. Reminded me of a young Raveneau, to be honest. Brioche and honey on the palate that is broad and loaded with lemon, and butter, and sails on with a creaminess that hints at oxidative. This is a big, rich wine right now. Delicious, but bigger than the Krug next to it. I like it, a lot, but I’m letting my last few sit a bit to give it some time to lose what feels like primary heft. [/i]
  • NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 164eme - France, Champagne (3/21/2018)
    Alongside the 06 Taittinger Comtes. Slightly oxidative nose, with lemon and more yeast and bread. Very fine, tight acid streak that hums along. Really fleshes out as it opens, with lemon, and apple notes, and a penetrating finish. Lots of tension and energy, but so balanced, too. Really plays with the tasty pasta dishes on the table at Storico. An engaging wine that shows more finesse and delicacy than the Comtes at this point.

Posted from CellarTracker
20180320_191912.jpg

Nice pair! [cheers.gif]

good dinner dennis

these two were all about structure to me. the palate on the Krug was solid, long and balanced while the palate on the Comtes was all up front without finish IMHO. the nose was clearly better and more flamboyant on the Comtes now with tropical salinity. the Krug needs time. both really nice though.

very nice four top. good time

Great pair, Dennis. Thanks for the notes.

Dennis,
I’ve opened more of each than is wise, and concur with both you and Rob. In a word: Comte = Flamboyance, Krug = Balance.
Two of my favorite young wines ever.
Cheers,
Warren

A good group indeed. Again soon.

[cheers.gif]

I want to hold off on the Comtes I have left. See if some of that flamboyance settles in. Good one word summations, though.
champagne.gif

Our Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts group is having these 2 for the reception before our big annual dinner in DC Saturday. Thanks for the preview, really looking forward to it.

David-
Look forward to your impressions if you’ll share since you are having them side by side as well.
Cheers!

Both great wines. I love that 06 Comtes.

Dennis, my take on the 2006 Comtes was very similar to yours. Citrus, creaminess, bready and toasty and a bigger wine than the Krug at least at this tasting.

I didn’t get as much bready yeasty stuff on the Krug 164 as you did. It was more citrus and crisp acid and less rich and oxidative than I usually expect from Krug - a bit atypical.

I’m putting them both away for a while.

Thanks for the thoughts! I agree on stashing them for a bit.

Nice job Dennis and Rob! I love those two bottles.

Missed you that night, Don. Hook up soon. [cheers.gif]

The 2006 Comtes is what I used to convert a bunch of my friends that say “you know, I don’t think Champagne is all that great.” Good stuff, I hope I can keep my hands off them to see how they age!

That’s the kinda friends we all need! [cheers.gif]
what do you use when someone says “i don’t think Burgs are all that great”? a Dujac? Rousseau? :wink:

Dennis,
wonderful notes on the contrast between the wines;
also love the comparison of the Comtes to a young Raveneau;
still have a half-dozen or so bottles of the '06 Comtes remaining, but notes like yours make me want to run out and restock

Thanks, Henry! First thing I thought of when I smelled that Comtes was the '10 Raveneau MontMains I opened a couple months back.
I hear you on restocking!

How would you rank these relative to each other? If you were to purchase a case, 12 of one vs. the other or 6 of each?

Hey, good question!
I would want to try them again in year before answering.
I would probably split the case and 6 of each. Another non-answer.
Prob vote Krug right now.

Hi all ,
I had a krug 164eme yesterday, it is fresh and crispy with acidity that can age for long term!
But I am worried about the condition of the cork, it lacks elasticity and doesn’t expand to more or less towards a mushroom shape! I am worried abt the seal in long term!
Pls , have anyone noticed any change in size of there corks?
ID 316030 cork V1621