TN: 2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Zaccharie

• 2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Zaccharie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (3/19/2018)
    Very dark saturated purple and black cherry…concentrated yet plush, fresh crushed and LOADED with vibrancy and minerality! Smooth as silk, goes deep and dark, yet there is nice streak of tart acidity that rockets you back up. Dusty earth, licorice, dried bing cherries, white pepper…and pretty flower florals. Solid structure and plenty of firm tannins to age this one out a bit. SO tasty and easy drinkin…I can’t stand it! The qpr is absurd! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I visited the domaine in 1977 and 1979. They were making great stuff back then. The owner told us stories of entertaining Colette.

Compelling reading… What’s this cuvée Zaccharie? Is it a big upgrade on the regular bottling?

Thanks for the note. Just planned a visit in May, going to Beaujolais for the first time, and now I’m looking even more forward to it!

The domaine’s oldest vines (some 90 years-old) and aged in barrique (instead of foudre) a tiny bit of which is new.

I’ve long wondered about the quality differential 'tween Thivin CdB and the hitherto unicorn Zaccharie - thanks for posting your note, Buzz. Do you mind saying what you paid for this bottle?

Thivin has other premier cuvées, I think; would love to read more such notes. Even at the basic level, I’ve been a Thivin devotee since about 2007. The 2005’s are drinking very nicely now.

I see the 2015 Zaccharie for $33.

Yes, at least Cuvées Godefroy, La Chapelle, les Griottes, and Le Clos Bertrand. I own all of these (plus Zaccharie) across 2014-16 vintages, but have yet to crack one. Need to rectify that.

Amazed Buzz has a $30 wine in his cellar…am intrigued to try this.

Yes, you should get stuck into some of these! I have had several of the 14’s and they’ve been great: The Griottes was the early drinker and was so juicy, tart and vibrant right out the gate that mine are all gone… Had a Chapelle a couple of weeks back and was in a great balance of emerging earthy tones with red pomegranate and citrus fruit. Apart from the Zaccharie the other cuvée that maybe needs some time is the Godefroy: am still sitting on them and will hold for another year or two

$29…just picked up 6 more. JJB, insider price.

That solves it, thanks. But damn! I’ve really been trying to curtail west-coast purchases.

Of the three Thivin 2015 special cuvées I’ve had the pleasure to drink, the Zaccherie seems the most complete. It’s got a lot of energy on the palate and as Buzz’s note shows it’s really tasty!

Had the 2013 last night with BBQ chicken & pineapple. Wine just crushes. Glad I have more, and some 15s too.
A666C857-9D79-4567-B4EB-2592D699F231.jpeg

Nice one Doc! Love those Thivin Bojo! You making it down 5/10?

Unclear yet.

I didn’t care much for the normal 2015 Cote de Brouilly. Just too dense, dark and jammy. (The only 2015 Bojo I’ve loved has been the Foillard Cote du Py).