TN: 2009 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Nahe)

2009 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (3/18/2018)
Has a bit of color, light honey gold, then a richly fruited Riesling nose, has the expected richness on the palate, quite deep and intense, though not at all overripe or ponderous; pretty decent acidity for it’s size, with nice overall balance, and a long, lush finish. Some decent complexity, with just a touch of saline, and some slight mineral twists emerge as the fruit intensity dissipates on the finish. Just from my own experience with wines of this size, I wouldn’t expect this to develop much more interest or complexity, probably as good as it will get. (92 pts.)

Thanks for the note Alan as I have one of these left. Do you think that this will at least pleateau for awhile or should one put this in a queue to drink sooner rather than later?

I am not Alan, but there is no reason the wine should go downhill any time soon.

I agree with David, it’s not going anywhere fast, just my own opinion that it’s not going to see any particular improvement. I’d drink it whenever you feel like it over the next year or two, but it should be fine beyond that as well.

I opened a 2009 Hermannshohle GG recently that prompted me to pull my remaining bottles out of storage for drinking over the next year or two. With that wine, I had the same impression that it will not get any better for my taste. I think it will still last quite a while, and those who appreciate more mature flavors in dry Riesling might want to wait, but for me it’s perfect now. I expect cooler vintages will follow a longer aging curve, but I don’t really know yet. Heck, I might try an '09 in 3-4 years and wish I had waited longer, but I doubt it.

I had a 2009 Dönnhoff “Hermannshöhle” GG a year ago. I was stunned! Normally I prefer Emrich-Schönleber and Schäfer-Fröhlich, but this GG was mind-blowing. Why? Normally I prefer cool climate vintages and 2009 is a bit too opulent for my taste. But 2009 Hermannshöhle GG was all about elegance. I would drink it now. 93-94/100

Cheers,
Martin

Martin, I was focused on evolution and didn’t mention this, but I was very impressed too. I liked the wine a lot more than I expected to given the vintage. I think Donnhoff managed something amazing with that wine. It’s nice to hear you liked it so much too, as I know you have lot more experience than I do with German wines.

I have a couple, now I have to open one [cheers.gif]

YES, I share your view. Of course there is no hurry to drink this 2009 Hermannshöhle GG, but why wait?! I also think it doesn´t get better.

Fair to say there are vintages like 2004, 2010, 2013 for example which clearly have a longer storage potential. I organized a Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg/Frühlingsplätzchen vertical around a year ago and the 2004 GGs were beautiful

Cheers,
Martin

Alan, david, martin, thanks for your notes and thoughts.

Hard to find in my neck of the woods, but happily having a 12 hermanshohle at lunch today, especially looking forward to it now.

Best

Don

Martin and others, sorry for the delay in posting but I have had trouble with my password.

FWIW, we had 2009 Schafer-Frohilich Felseneck GG and 2005 S-F Halenberg GG a couple weeks ago (the night after we had a glorious bottle of 04 Knoll Kellerberg Riesling Smaragd). Both of these bottles were lovely, in great shape, and in no apparent need of immediate consumption. The Felseneck had calmed down some from early tastes (indeed, Tim was kind enough to pour me a glass in a visit in 2010 when perhaps the VdP rules would not have permitted, and assume the statute of limitations had run on that.) The acid was not as pronounced, nor was some of the minty quality, but the wines were fresh, round and complete And there was absolutely no hint of the warmth of the vintage, the wines were just in lovely places. And the 05 Halenberg nearly as good. So at least based on these 2 data points, encouraging that these wines are capable of long and graceful ageing. Maybe Todd Tucker has posted notes or can add here.