Suggestions for an under-$50 Cal cab tasting?

The parameters:

• Price up to ~$50
  • Alcohol under (arbitrary) 14.8%
  • Tastes like cabernet, not some indeterminate overripe red grape (but doesn’t have to be 100% cab)

We’re thinking of the Ridge Estate and maybe a Ramey Napa. Other suggestions?

Twenty years ago there were wines like Beringer Knights Valley and BV Beautour/Tapesty that fit in this category (prices well below $50 then, of course), but the last times I’ve had those two, they were noticeably alcoholic and not fun to drink.

Thoughts?

Robert Craig Affinity

I don’t know anything about Robert Craig. Tell me more.

Formerly sourced from multiple vineyards, now from a single vineyard Napa cabernet or meritage sourced just outside Stag’s Leap. Excellent value for the style of wine. Though the winery sells it now for well over your ~$50 amount, it’s still pretty easy to find it for that.

Balnaves from Coonawarra
Vasse Felix “Filius” from Margaret River
Schild Estate from Barossa
Januik Champoux Vineyard from Horse Heaven Hills
Andrew Will
Seven Hills from Walla Walla
Gramercy Cellars from Columbia
Encantado from Oakville (second label of Pine Ridge)
Stag’s Leap Cab
Groth
Newton
Laurel Glen
Jordan
Corley Vineyard
Charles Krug
Mondavi Oakville
Frog’s Leap Estate
Togni Tanbark Hill *
Grgich *
Miner *
Brane-Cantenac
Grand-Puy-Lacoste
Phélan Ségur
Haut-Batailley

• may be over $50 these days but you might be able to find it for less.

Greg - I’m just looking for California cabs. Hence my subject heading. neener

I didn’t realize you could still get a Groth for less than $50. Thanks for that and the other Cal names.

I’ve had some Miners, but a number have been conspicuously hot.

John, my top 3 recommendations would be Ridge Estate, Robert Craig Affinity (not 100% Cab) and Keenan Cab.

Thanks,
Ed

Round Pond Estate cab can be found lots of places for $45-50.

Don’t forget about the Mondavi Napa cabernet, in the $20’s. Anderson Conn Valley made a “regular” napa cab in 2015. Turnbull retail cabernet is now all cabernet. Beringer makes a winery exclusive cabernet that will be less than $50 if you catch a sale.

Honig is a very good Cali Cab that can be readily found for $50 or less. Also, Flora Springs and Sequoia Grove are good Cali Cabs at less than $50.

Provenance ‘Rutherford’ cab is a good wine for $30-35. Not too sweet.

An interesting thread, as this (above the sea of ‘commodity’ wine, but below £35/$50) has often seemed like a gaping hole in US / Californian wines in the UK market. Ridge the most notable exception.

Domain Eden for under $40 (the little sister to Mount Eden estate cab, which is under $80). Santa Cruz Mountain fruit. A good wine to compare to Ridge.

I think the Ramey is a good choice. I was also going to suggest Chappellet, but I’m not sure it fits under the ABV limit. What about some of the Arrowood single vineyards? although I think those are Sonoma’s?

I too feel like Beringer’s base KV bottling started getting weaker once they got up to 50k case production level. I remember enjoying its chunky charms when I was younger, and when it had more estate fruit.

Lewelling?

Greg - I’m just looking for California cabs. Hence my subject heading.

OOPS! Just got so excited.

Sorry. newhere

A few others I thought of that still taste like Cab are

Neal
Clos du Val
Kathryn Kennedy
Heitz (the basic one)

Seavey Caravina is great for $50’ish

Costco usually has the Stags’ Leap Cab for a few bucks under $50. Won’t knock your socks off with complexity but fits the bill and scratches that Napa itch.

**Edited to add the all-important ‘ :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, folks, keep 'em coming.

It’s really helpful if you tell me something about the style, makeup or whatever, i.e., give me more than a name.

That’s another one I had wondered about. I’ve never had it but I do like the main wine.

John, not sure these are readily available but I’m pretty sure you can order these on their respective websites. I’m not into big jammy cabs so these are what fit into my personal preferences. One from Napa, a couple from Sonoma and another from Paso:

Croze & Smith Wooton - Fantastic Napa cab that isn’t over the top jammy but well balanced, fruity, dark, earthy and acidic with medium tannins. Perfect wine to go with some nice filet or sirloin steak

Scherrer Cabernet Alexander Valley - First impression was of balance. Not overly tannic or fruity or jammy, just the right amount of everything.

A. Rafanelli Winery - lots of layers, plenty of dark red fruit, black cherry, ripe plum, very nice acidity and fine grained tannins.

Adelaida Reserve Viking Estate - Just the right amount of dark berry, tobacco, medium tannin and alcohol. The combination was very well balanced and extremely enjoyable.