TN: 2014 Luís Seabra Vinhos Xisto Cru (Portugal, Douro)

• 2014 Luís Seabra Vinhos Xisto Cru - Portugal, Douro (3/14/2018)
    70% Rabigato, remaining is a field blend of Codega (10%) , Gouveio (10%) and Viosinho Dozelino Branco (10%) from vineyards planted between 1920-1933. Tended in mica schist soil from 650-700 m (2,133-2,297 ft) elevation (per the tech sheet). Decanted just shy of an hour and tasted at a cool room temp. This wine is a sneaker in that when you take the first sip it almost seems a bit flat. A couple of seconds later it forced me to give it my full attention. Besides the searing acidity there is plenty of waxy citrus fruits, a hint of a sherry-like note, and a huge dose of minerality that make this like no other white Douro wine out there I’ve had. Unbelievable complexity and perhaps the longest finish on a white wine from the Douro I’ve had. I hate to use the comparison, but a good description is Douro meets Grand Cru Burgundy. Approaching 4 years old this is appears to have plenty of life ahead of it. Luis Seabra truly is one of the most talented winemakers in the Douro.
    96 Points (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note Andy…but judging by your descriptors this sounds more like a 93 point wine to me.

Sorry…couldn’t help myself :wink:

Hah, maybe 93- :wink:

We had the wine the other night against a really good PYCM St. Aubin 1ere (15 Champlots)… They really complemented each other. This wine had great floral notes and great structure and denisty, and really made the oak and flint notes in the burg stand out, even seemed to exaggerate them a tad. But at other times the wines seemed more similar than dissimilar. This is an excellent wine and excellent winemaking. A pure joy to drink. Bravo Luis!

Thanks, Andy.

Have you had a chance to try the Arinto from Poco do Lobo? I think you’d like it.

Did you listen to Luis on the “I’ll Drink to That” podcast. Fascinating. He covers a wide range of topics regarding the Douro but applicable world wide. Episode 458.

I listened to it and immediately looked for some of his wines. turned out there wasn’t anything around me available and then the CT notes didn’t sell me to order something for delivery as much as the IDTT podcast did