TN: 2014 Gen del Alma - "Otra Piel" (Argentina, Mendoza, Valle de Uco, Gualtallary)

2014 Gen del Alma Otra Piel - Argentina, Mendoza, Valle de Uco, Gualtallary (1/24/2018)
– decanted approximately 45 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– 60% Cabernet Franc, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Pinot Noir –

NOSE: “dark”; strong cigar wrapper note; juicy tobacco and leather; a touch musky; moderately expressive.

BODY: medium bodied.

TASTE: medium+ to high acidity; juicy purple berries with hints of red berries; ripe fruit; a touch jammy; very interesting; a little bit of the Cab. Franc pyrazines; tobacco; 14.5% alc.; this is very excellent and interesting. Probably the best Argentinian wine I’ve ever had (granted, not that many). Excellent QPR @ $27.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92 pts.)

Well here is something I ordinarily wouldn’t seek out, but your note makes me want to try one.

Thanks for the tasting note!!

The Gen del AlmaJiJiJi” (Pinot Noir/Malbec) got a great write-up in Decanter its inaugural vintage.

I ordered a different wine from Gen del Alma, a Bordeaux-style blend called “Gene”, while I waited on the next year’s bottling of the “JiJiJi”.

In the end, the “Gene” was (in my opinion) better.

Interesting, Drew. Did the Gene present as big and monolithic, or somewhat reserved?

Markus, it’s worth it if you come across it.

The two JiJiJi bottlings get the buzz, but the Gene is my preference, too. Half malbec, and cab franc, cab sauv and merlot round it out. I don’t think you’d guess it is half malbec if you didn’t know it. Good berry and cherry fruit, and some dried herbs. Very soft mouthfeel, nice minerality, nicely priced.

It is a project of one of the Michelini brothers, but I believe his wife is the winemaker.

If you see it, it is worth a try.

full disclosure: my shop sells Gen del Alma wines, but I don’t ship, so I’m not trying to sell to you.