2015 Black Sears Zinfandel - Any takers?

I received an offer for the 2015 Black Sears Estate Zinfandel. I was thinking of pulling the trigger but at $70 per bottle I feel like that’s incredibly steep. I’ve purchased several of the wines before but feel like this bump is a bit too much.

Anyone taste from barrel or pre release? I’m on the fence because of the quality of the fruit, the mountain terroir and TRB’s hand with the wine, the $70 per is still a stretch for me though for Zinfandel.

Thoughts from the group?

I purchased a few bottles for the first time. Looking forward to tasting!

Too pricey for me for Zin. Carlisle, ridge and bedrock produce amazing zins under $40 so I can’t bring myself to spend more than that.

Agree that these are pricey compared to Ridge…but Biale is up in the stratosphere, too. I’m in for a few; have not had this vintage but older ones have been really good. This is kind of a splurge, but they are good wines.

This hobby can be so nuts that I bet there are plenty of people who won’t buy a wine until it creeps north of 70 bucks.

“Forty dollars? How could it be any good? At seventy dollars, it must be better.”

I’m with Nick. Carlisle and Bedrock are my go-to zins. Seventy bucks for zin is too much for me.

Is Outpost Zin still ~$50? Howell Mtn. fruit, made by TRB. Might scratch the same itch for less?

We have been buying Black Sears consistently since the 2009 vintage. It is my wife’s private stash and I never open a bottle without her permission. I am also a Carlisle hoarder and it’s probably the only wine I own more of than Saxum, so let me give you a compare and contrast analysis.

The Black Sears is like a laser while many of the Carlisles (remember, there are a lot of different vineyards) are like a color light show. The distinctive characteristic of the Black Sears, which I think is terroir driven because it is also a feature in other Howell Mountain wines, is the spicyness, focusing on really smooth and elegant white pepper. The fruit is definitely secondary. Not quite way in the rear view mirror, but not vying for first place in the palate palette either. I know that most of the Howell Mountain wines I own are Thomas Rivers Brown wines, but I believe it is more terroir than winemaker because I do not get the same taste from valley floor TRB wines.

Most Carlisles, on the other hand, have a stronger fruit component and often have a more meaty character to them. The fruit component is also more complex because it is up front. They also age very well despite Mike Officer’s published drinking windows, which are, as I have told him, complete crappola. I have had Carlisle zins at 10 years old that were still getting better. I can’t say that about Black Sears because the oldest zins I have had were in the 8 year range. I’ve got a couple of 2010s in the cellar. Maybe I’ll check in on that tonight . . . if Rebecca will let me.

So back to the question, is Black Sears worth it? That is way too complicated a question because it requires that I factor in the net worth and income of the buyer, taste preferences, cellar size, patience in aging and all sorts of other things. All I can say is that I buy both of them in significant quantities and I am very happy with both, but just because they are Zinfandels doesn’t mean they are the same wines. I do not think I would call one as the other blind.

I hope that helps.

PS - The Carlisle Appellation Zinfandel is the greatest deal coming out of California. PERIOD. I do not know who is in second place.

Thanks Jay, that was super helpful. I tend to drink all these Zins pretty young, so I’m wondering what your ideal drinking window is for Black Sears?

Greatest deal in California (alert! Thread drift!)? Sanford Pinot, no question.

I don’t know that I can give you an ideal drinking window on the Black Sears. I had the 2009 at the winery in May of 2012 and my wife and I both agreed that it as the best Zinfandel ever made in California. So early is just fine. Here is the note I posted at the time:

• 2009 Black Sears Zinfandel Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (5/3/2012)
    Superlatives! You want superlatives. Ok. This is a GREAT zinfandel! Absolutely exceptional. We drank this at the vineyard with Chris Jambois of the winery. The vines are 37 years old on an east facing plot at the absolute top of Howell Mountain. Thomas Rivers Brown is the winemaker. Great terroir and a great winemaker generate the best zinfandel I have ever tasted, and an hour earlier I had said the same thing about neighboringg Outpost Zinfandel, but this is actually better. My wife agrees. It’s not because it is a jammy zinfandel fruit bomb. It is a deliciously spicy blend of smooth white pepper, smokey black pepper, meat juice and plumy cherry fruit. I had never heard of Black Sears until the guys at Outpost told us we had to drive up the road to see them, and then called to make arrangements with Chris to let us taste their wines. The wine had a pepper nose and a long, fruity back of the mouth finish. It was bone dry and there was no apparent sweetness that others refer to as jammy. This wine alone was worth the trip. Discovering something new that is this good is so rare that it just makes the day. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As to your second comment, “greatest deal” and “pinot” do not belong in the same sentence. Note my comment about owning more Carlisle than Saxum.

I got a single bottle of 2013 Zin after trying it at a friend’s, was going to open in a few years. Wasn’t planning to get any zin since Bedrock and others work for me. Might try to get the Black Sears cab sauv or cab franc.

Robert Craig used to make a Zin from Black Sears (although not labeled as a vineyard designate). Don’t know if they still do or not. It was in a different style from Black Sears and Outpost (not as big), but also quite tasty.

Awesome comparative notes. I’d be a buyer on this write-up. So, how do I find it?

+1

I have a limited income, and I find that the quality of wines from the producers mentioned above by Nick to be the very pinnacle of Zinfandel bottlings.

I may add Once & Future, Reichwage, and Boheme, as well as a couple of other wineries, once I pop them! :slight_smile:

Jay stated this very well. I love Zinfandel, consider it great, world-class wine - and love to taste exceptional examples.

43 year old vines, top of Howell Mt., head-trained, dry farmed, St. George rootstock.

The high-end Zinfandel outliers are more affordable than those of any other great variety that I’m aware of.

Join their mailing list. Easy - you’ll get an offer.

I bought several bottles. Tremendous Zin.

Tom