TN: 2016 Domaine Barou St. Joseph Un Autre Monde

My first 2016 Northern Rhone wine. I hand-carried this treasure from Manhattan back to my place in Brooklyn. Delightful wine, lithe and poised and dead-on Syrah typicity. Little tiny crunchy citrusy crystalline red fruits, airy texture, great precision and clarity of flavors. I generally like Barou’s Saint-Joseph but this is especially nice, and nothing at all like the more-of-everything 2015.

thanks for the note Zach - sounds lovely. hopefully this thread gets overlooked while people stress out over Alan Eden’s disdain for French wine. [cheers.gif]

I love those Barou wines. Glad to hear the '16 is so good.

It’s a fine vintage of the Saint-Joseph. On day 2 it came across darker and more fleshed out but still crisp and precise. Aces. If 2016 is going to be this good in general I’m going to go very long on it.

I thought the 2015 was damn good, too, and I think sub-$20.

Have not really enjoyed the base syrah, the St. Joe is well worth the extra $5

Ok, just grabbed some! Your description sounds right on point.

Confirmed!

This stuff is delicious and cheap! $18.99. And I like the 2016 better than the more ripe, dense 2015.

Wish shipping it West didn’t add so much to the price. Love Barou!

Right on. I also prefer the 2016 to the 2015. Also, as with the Barou, many of the 2016 Northern Rhone wines I have tried have shown lighter and fresher on pop-and-pour, only to fill out substantially the next day. It’s looking like a terrific vintage.

I thought the 2015 was interesting but the acidity was somewhat unbalanced. I agree that it’s a great value though; always pick up a few from Chambers.

+1

Popped another, cannot get over how tasty this is for all of $20, tax included. If you don’t like this wine - nay, if you don’t think this wine is good - I question whether you like Northern Rhônes and value plays! I could drink this stuff regularly, midweek, with simple meals. Even enjoying a glass now after dinner, and it’s very solid French Syrah with notable typicity and structure. An easy case purchase.

Chambers has the 2018 Barou Un Autre Monde in stock - just grabbed some!

Thanks Zach. What’s the deal with the vintage? I have not followed current reports.

JLL says 2018 is “a vintage of scale and power for the reds” in the Northern Rhone overall - may not be your favorite!

But Barou is pretty damn good year in, year out, and cheap at that.

I think you’re right, just read David Lillie’s note!

Uses words like lush, blueberry, licorice, chocolate, fruit liquor.

I had that last night at an Opus tasting . . . . :wink:

Got the '18 Barou in today - it isn’t anything remotely like the '16, or even the '15. It’s darkly purple and grapey and frankly not that good. Will this be a harbinger of '18 in general? Stay tuned…

Bummer. I seem to recall another recent note on 2018 that wasn’t glowing. The Rousset?