Any wine with lower than 5% alcohol or alternative?

Hello guys, I am new here. I am not a wine drinker as what I have noticed the few times I have tried different wines is that it makes me feel kinda “drugged” and liquor was too strong so I had stuck with beer for that reason. However, due to battling Psoriasis since a few years now and to keep it at bay I now have to be gluten free and also avoid Gluten free drinks which have a lot of alcohol content. So I have been searching the net for a wine with variations between 1-5% but all of my research is showing that it’s either non-alcoholic or at least 5%, nothing in between.

I have tried Odouls and some other non-alcoholic drinks and they don’t taste good to me. So guys, since I like getting a little buzz on a Saturday afternoon when I’m hanging out, any ideas please? Thanks.

Smoke pot?
Tito’s vodka? It’s Gluten free. And there’s probably other hard alcohol out there that’s gluten free.

Nah, that’s not for me, I had tried that in my younger days.

I had tried Tito’s it tastes great but still 40% alcohol. I then tried Sake at 15% alcohol but still I need something under 5%. I was using Heineken light which was perfect at 3% but it has gluten.

Vinho Verde is pretty low in alcohol.

Mike, try hard ciders from VT or NY or even France and Spain. There are a few better ones around the 5-6% range. If anything you can always water them down a bit.

You can give Moscato d’Asti a try. Usually around 5%, Bera is a very good producer.

Or as others have said, a cocktail with a much smaller amount of alcohol relative to the mixer.

Most of the wines I have had under 10% have been Riesling- Kabinett level or similar.

I second the ciders. Plenty of amazing stuff being made in the northeast these days. Or wait until spring when we put out our first piquette! :wink:

yeah, the lowest you are going to see are the aforementioned vinho verde (usually 8-12%), or certain german auslese (sweeter) wines that can be 6-9%. If you are looking for anything lower, perhaps some wine, or sparkling wine cocktails. Kalimotxo (red wine and coke), kir royale come to mind, but I’m sure there are tons more.

Try Italian Moscato. Sweet, sparkling and usually lower in alcohol.

Jay and I think alike - not that unusual. Did not see your post until after I posted.

Thanks guys, I had found this comprehensive wine list which seems to cover almost everything.

I will research this “sparkling wine cocktails. Kalimotxo (red wine and coke), kir royale come to mind, but I’m sure there are tons more.”

As mentioned, Vinho Verde is pretty low alcohol. If you live near a Trader Joe’s store they carry Espiral Vinho Verde at 9% alcohol. <$5 makes it a reasonable thing to try.

Why not just drink good wines, but less of it? I’d much rather have 6 ounces of a good 14% alcohol Bordeaux, Burgundy, chardonnay and so forth than 12 ounces of Moscato, Vinho Verde, juice/wine cocktail, hard cider or gluten free beer.

Another option, more at home than in social settings, is to spit. Get a normal mouthful of wine, slosh it around in your mouth for several seconds (and even better, suck a little air in while the wine is in there), then spit all of it other than the residue in the back of your mouth into the sink or a coffee mug.

You get nearly the full tasting experience, but only a small fraction of the alcohol and calories.

Something to consider, anyway.

Moscato d’Asti is about 5.5%
German Kabinett can be 8%
There’s some others like that, where the fermentation is halted, giving you a lower alcohol and sweetness.

I tried a sorghum beer that was pretty good.
There’s a lot of cider (and the like) available these days. Beyond the industrial crap there’s quite a range of styles.

Vinho Verde is a good suggestion. They are picked earlier and are fermented dry. That gives a crisp. refreshing lower alcohol wine. I’d guess you’d be fine with a threshold of 11%, rather than 5%. There have been many debates where people say they feel the difference drinking 15% ABV wines than 13%. Then the usual skeptics chime in thinking they’re delusional, assuming it might be linear. “Like, just drink a little less of the higher alcohol wine and it’ll be the same.” Nope. Turns out alcohol absorption is a complex equation at the cellular level, so ABV does make a big difference. The question is where that difference is for the unwanted effect you experience.

Especially during the summer I tend to hang out a lot longer at around 8 hours so that would be very difficult. I tried White claw spiked Seltzer water at 5% but that gives a kick.

Moscato d’asti and its red stablemate Brachetto d’Acqui are the only two I know of that I could recommend. Alcohol free wines l’ve tasted have all been foul, but that means I’ve given up tasting new ones.

Thinking more laterally, ordinary folk in Emilia-Romagna would… And still do… Mix water in with their wine, and I think this might be worth trying, at least to find a level you feel confortable with. If you enjoy it, then that’s an easy solution wherever you are.

Navarro makes a decent alcohol free Gewurtz. It could fool you into thinking it’s an off dry Gewurtz or Riesling. It’s a fun pregnancy gift sometimes for a woman friend who loves wine.

Leitz makes non-alcoholic Riesling in still and sparkling form. Won’t blow your mind, but it wasn’t bad.

Or for beer I think there is/was a beer called Omission that was gluten free?

Out of curiosity, are you just doing an elimination diet to find out if there is a connection between gluten and psoriasis? Or have you found an actual causal link? From what I have read there is very little actual evidence that any diet has direct relationships to psoriasis.