2015 Bordeaux Buying? What and Why

I haven’t bought any bdx since the 2910 vintage. The reviews for 2015 look pretty good all around. Having had a pretty good burn from Premier Cru, my taste for futures has soured a bit. If I was to dip my foot in the water any suggestions, precautions and stores for acquiring. Funny thing is , if it weren’t for Squires board and commentary from Jeff Leve I probably never would have bought futures with confidence from Premier Cru!

Go to a reputable shop selling futures. I live in NJ and can couch for Gary’s, and hence no shipping, and MacArthurs out of DC. Prices are mostly competetive- you can shave a few bucks here and there, but if you look at Wine Searcher you will see a fairly narrow range. Futures prices, if not the absolute lowest, remain available but likely not for long, although having said that, 2 caveats: history since about 2010 suggests not much price escalation and secondly, those that do escalate, the vintage favorites, will escalate a lot, e.g., Canon in 2015. I am sure the board has other recommendations, and good luck.

Are you a Messenger from the future?

are you looking for big bottles, value bottles, or both?

as far as the value bottles go, theres already some great stuff on the shelf and in stock at online retailers that doesn’t require the future risk at all. the traditional producers like Gloria, Lannessan, Sociando-Mallet, Cantemerle, Vielle Cure, are sitting there at my local shops ready to be scooped up. Last time I stopped at Total Wine, it looked like they were starting to get some of the higher cru classes in too.

A decent amount of the grand cru 2015’s have started showing up at my local stores. I imagine that you won’t have to worry about futures unless you want non-standard sizes. My purchasing is around Chicago but I’ve had good experiences with HDH, TCWC and Binnys.

Craig. I used to buy a lot of futures st Binnys. Won’t ship to NY anymore
Craig :neutral_face:

Matt, I will check Total Wines

I saw that Neal Martin’s last reviews for TWA were published recently. He’s such a great writer - even if your palate doesn’t align with his, his articles are always an interesting read.
What am I buying? Grand Puy Lacoste, Pape Clement, Giscours, Montlandrie - based on their track record, personal experience, good 2015 prices, and the fact that I don’t have them in my cellar.
I’m really sorry about your experience with PC. I also purchase around Chicago and I buy from Binny’s (unbeatable prices), and TCWC (good prices, flexibility with bottle size, and free delivery to local off-site storage) (and occasionally from HDH if I must have something only they carry).
Wines that I’ve tried that I like:
2015 Cote de Baleau - great nose, very mineral, good QPR, is a deceptively big wine
2015 La Fleur Morange Mathilde - 100% Merlot I believe - nice fruit, pure, and I couldn’t believe the finish - so smooth
2015 Brondelle - A nice lighter-styled Bordeaux.
I plan on cracking open a 375 of the GPL once it arrives. I’ll post my thoughts when I do! Happy hunting.

another burned by Premier Cru here…

I did buy some futures.

Is Neal positive on GPL - he usually likes it?

My last futures vintage and I didn’t buy much, other than a ton of Cantemerle, both 750s and 375s. Also Clinet, Domaine de Chvalier, Canon, Haut Bailly, Leo Barton, Gazin, Malartic-Lagrieve, and Rauzan Segla

Looking at it, it appears I bought more than I thought!

I also recommend looking into Total. 50% on purchase and 50% on arrival hedges the downside risks.

Nada. Mostly, I’m too old to be buying young Bordeaux. But if I were younger, I’d be all over 2014, and skipping 2015. 2014 a better, more classic vintage (for my tastes), as well as cheaper.

All 375ml during EP.

Canon, Chevalier, Feytit Clinet, Haut Bailly, Haut Brion, Rauzan Segla, Smith Haut Lafitte, and VCC.

I generally stick to the QPR Bordeaux, and there are a number of good 2015s to consider - though the price has already ticked up 10% or so on many since opening in late spring 2016. I would say some of the best 2015 value Bordeaux include: Montlandre, Poujeaux, Chasse Spleen, Cantemerle, Siran, Fombrauge, Senejac, Haut Batailly. In addition , the 2016 Bordeaux are also widely available in the market place and the same names are recommended for 2016. I buy most of my Bordeaux futures from Macarthur Beverages (DC) and Millesima (NY). Other stores include B21 (FL) and Gordon’s (MA). [cheers.gif]

I bought at the high-end to age for decades until I’m in my 60s & 70s. Haut Brion, LMHB, VCC, l’Evangile, etc. Just because I’ve never before bought on release to cellar for a lifetime. Probably won’t do too much more of this

I guess what I’m saying is QPR be damned, I’m buying the nicest wine that I can get ep because I’m doing it for me [wink.gif]

I second Chris’ recommendation of the La Fleur Morange Mathilde. Its drinking very well now and is a fantastic QPR at around $22. My other “sleeper” is Cantenac Brown (they really hit this vintage out of the park and on shelves now for $50ish).

Jeff, Neal gave the GPL 94-96 in April 2016. Lisa did the in bottle tasting in February issue 2018 and gave it 91+

Neal, I checked Total NY. No futures offered yet. New store. Any recommended Total store?

http://www.totalwine.com/concierge/learn-more

I don´t know how much experience Lisa has in tasting young Bordeaux. But I would be very surprised if 2015 GPL isn’t a superb Paulliac with 15 years+ in the cellar. With the exception of the 1989 GPL made classy wines in every good vintage. And even the 1989 is very good. A bit too light maybe but very aromatic.

Total Wine has been the best futures option I’ve found. The 2015 program is over, but they are still offering a large assortment of 2016s. The best part, you only need to pay 50% upfront. I just received my first email from them last week notifying me that some of my 2015s are ready for pickup. Fine Wine & Spirits Division at Total Wine & More. Curated Email Offers, Barrel Selections, Private Consultation, Bordeaux Futures.

FYI, Neal Martin recently gave it a 95 (from his last set of reviews for TWA), saying it was a wine for “long-term aging.”