Suckling in NYC - Italian

Anyone going to this event next week? Tickets sold out pretty early on.

Went last yr, great event for the amount of wines and the price.

Hit the top ones first, Bruno Giacossa, Vorezio, Valdicava as the empty out quick. Don’t forget the Italian whites, and explore other regions.

My takeaway from last year was how much I loved Etna, appealed to my burgundy palate. Enjoy, its a fun evening!

This will be my third year attending. Go early … [cheers.gif]

Anyone have an extra tickets they are looking to sell?

+1 Great event for the $. So much to sample.
Also +1 for Etna wines, which were one of the successes for 2014 in Italy (I’d avoid other regions for this vintage though).

Got invited by a friend last minute…hope to make it in time to taste some Giacossa.

I had the Barolo Barbera “ah-ha!” moment there with Voerzio a few years ago. I believe they were the 2004 Roberto Voerzio Barolo Riserva 10 anni Fossati Case Nere and the 2010 Roberto Voerzio Barbera d’Alba Riserva Vigneto Pozzo dell’Annunziata.

If I remember correctly, the master Roberto was pouring those from magnums that year.

[cheers.gif]

He sure was. Not there last night though. :frowning:

Some observations and opinions from last night.
First off, waiting on line to get in @ 5pm was a PITA.
Once in, battling the overflowing crowd was another PITA.
The wines I got to taste were for the most part very good to excellent even though they were young and mostly tannic.
My wine of the night was the Tua Rita Redigaffi.
There were a lot of honorable mentions, too many to mention.
Finally, I think Herr Suckling oversold this event. It truly was a PITA to circle the room and taste.

[cheers.gif]

I guess that’s inevitable with events like this, they become fodder for the BLNs. I can’t remember the last wine event I went to , I can’t stand crowds unless its a 3 day rock fest.

You could have pulled a Back to School to give yourself some breathing room…

Are you given a list of the wines available so you can more easily take notes? I am attending the LA event on Friday.

PS: if anyone has an extra ticket to LA, would be interested in another for a guest.

Few thoughts from the tasting:

Giacosa was white label only, 2015 Asili was good, but too young to taste.

Disappointed that Voerzio was not there. Oddero’s 2012 was lovely. Rest of the producers were ultra-modernists, sampled a few which re-confirmed my palate.

2013 brunello’s are gorgeous, similar to 2010. I still don’t like/get most of the Brunello Riservas. The simple straight ones are good.

Asked a few producers if there will be any regional classification of Montalcino, so consumers can know where it is from. Looks like no one cares, worried more about points!

Still not enamored by super tuscans.

Pieropan’s and alto adige whites are very good indeed. Cusumano’s etna white was a standout. Wish I had spent more time exploring outside the big regions.

Far too many people at the event, can’t sample everything. Pick you producers and go for it.

Yes, it was crowded @ NYC event. I’ve gone for 3 (or 4?) years at that (larger) venue and it was the most packed yet. Two years ago there was a big storm coming that kept the event almost empty by comparison (fun for public, not so much for attendees).
I started in the Brunello section which were mostly 2013’s with 2015 Rosso’s with a few older (2007, 2008, 20010, 2011, 2012 mostly) sprinkled in with some Riservas. I confirmed that I like 2013 more than 2012 and 2011. This was my 4th chance to sample the 2013’s in many cases and it reconfirmed my earlier belief. 2011 is more of a drink now vintage. 2012 is ok, but I still don’t see it as a 5 star vintage. The 2013’s really seem very good across the board. Very few exceptions. The only thing keeping me away from bigger stock-up would be that I have a good amount of Brunello already and the fact that the prices for the 2013’s are running a bit higher do to an less favorable exchange rate than in recent years. Still, I’ll be selective and add a few to the cellar.
I think maybe my palate is changing, or at least my preferences. I wasn’t as wowed by some of the more modern styles I have loved in the past. Took very brief notes as I forgot my readers (novice move). Vintage is 2013 unless otherwise noted.

Altesino- Regular bottling pretty decent, but Montosoli steals the table again. That one seems to make the favorites list every year now. Balanced, elegant, great fruit and mouthfeel. Very classy.
Argiano- another one in the “Very Good” slot. Needs time. Beginning to like this producer more and more.
Casanova di Neri- Gone by 6:45 (event went till 8). Disappointed I missed out.
Banfi- needs time, but I don’t care for this producer for some reason.
Canalicchio di Sopra- another producer I am beginning to like every year recently. Expressive nose, good balance, great fruit.
La Rasina- one that finds its way to my cellar almost every year. Modern style but the quality of fruit shines though and the balance is there. Yum.
Romitorio- I have loved this producer in the past, but the regular bottling was disappointing (more time?). However, the Filo di Seta was again elegant and beautiful exhibiting that great combination of litheness on the palate and loads of great fruit.
Livio Sassetti- 2013 Normale & 2012 Riserva- another producer that has caught my palate the last few years. I need to add some to cellar.
Poggio Antico- 2012 & 2012 Altero- another that is getting noticed the last few years. Worth seeking.
Renieri- one that really does need time in the cellar. They seem to be getting better and better every year.
San Polino- 2010 Riserva- very nice indeed. Another vouch for 2010. 2012 Helichrysum- tasty and pure.
Siro Pacenti- 2013 VV- the Maestro does it again. Giancarlo is such a friendly guy. Do not commit infanticide with these. Time will reward exponentially. Will add a few to cellar for a long sleep.
Uccelliera- 2012- overall, might be my favorite Brunello producer over the last decade. Great year in and out. Always adding to cellar. Wish I had more of the 2004’s.
Valdicava- 2013- delicious. One of the great Brunello producers. 2010 Madonna del Piano Riserva- such a gorgeous wine. So lithe and delicate across the palate yet has plenty of power and flavor into very satisfying finish. One of the first wines tasted for the night. Just fantastic and could be otherworldly in another decade or so.

Others of note:
Giacosa- 2015 Falletto Barbaresco Asili- so refreshing after Brunellos.
Pio Cesare- 2013 Barolo & 2013 Barbaresco il Bricco- see above. Very good.
Afraid I am starting to like Barbaresco & Barolo. Certainly preferring them to many Super Tuscans.
Bibi Graetz- 2015 Testamatta & 2011 Colore. I feel these need so much time it is tough to evaluate now, but they have great bones.
2015 Fattoria le Pupille Saffredi- delicious. Give it some time and be rewarded.
2015 Ornellaia- gone. Disappointed but it was after 7.
Tua Rita- 2015 Redigaffi- so pure. Great bones but needs time.
2012 & 2013 are also very good to excellent years for Chianti Classico. I found many of them to be refreshing after plowing through the Brunellos. Alas, no notes taken.

There was plenty of good wine here tonight and the food- salumi, cheeses, crackers, nuts, etc… lasted later than usually it seemed. However, since I spent such a thorough time on Brunello, I really didn’t get to try many of the other wines being offered (especially whites and sparklers). My palate was shot anyway, but there were very few misses in the room. A few other comments:
I’ll be very selective this year do to current unfriendly exchange rate.
I’ll generally avoid 2014 unless from Sicily. 2014 Etna wines are very good and seem to have avoided the very difficult vintage in northern Italy.
2015 Rossos are excellent, as was the vintage generally speaking. They are drying up in the marketplace so get some while you can. Looking forward to the Brunellos which could be the best since 2010.
2016 is promising but very little palate data yet. I am eager to sample as wines become available. Could rival/surpass 2015 in many areas. Back to back excellent years is always a good thing.
Time to seek out Barbarescos & Barolos? Other than that decision triggering financial strife, I think I must.
I hesitate telling you all this is a great event with excellent value because it will just remain packed next year, but it is a very good experience and education if you wish it to be.

Tried more wines at the LA event than I expected I would be able to, yet still left 45 min. early due to palate fatigue. Some general comments.

1. LA was pretty crowded and 90% of the tasters lacked etiquette to move away from the table.
  2. Confirmed my love for Barolo/Barbaresco and some of the other Chianti Classicos I already own. BdMs don’t really move me that much.
  3. The two dudes who brought their own Zalto BDX to taste from cracked me up, though that is my favorite glass.
  4. Wish there were more white wines at this event.
  5. Some of the big hitters present in NYC were not in LA.

Granted the Brunellos were all way too young, but I find them to lack some elegance compared to Barolos of the same age, particularly due to what seemed like barrel spice. I presume this stuff smooths out with age? Maybe I’m just a Chianti Classico guy.

Your comments are awfully similar to ones I would make, though perhaps I’m more of a basket case, as despite liking Chianti, I tend to prefer Vino Nobile di Montepluciano even more, a typically leaner, bonier wine.

Of course I’m rather glad my preferences run contrary to the direction of pricing [cheers.gif], but wish people would talk Brunello up even more [wink.gif]

This event is happening tomorrow in NYC, anyone going?