Evaporative Cooling Systems AKA Swamp Coolers?

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it correct that unlike a portable ac, it does not have an exhaust? Could it be used as a temporary cooling source in a cellar if the primary system fails? Thanks for any info.

I think it would be unlikely for it to get your cellar cool enough. But the humidity would be great!

Just looking for a temperature to save the wine, not ideal storage temperature.

I’m not sure where you’re located, but they tend to work best in arid environments. So, if your ambient relative humidity is much higher than 50% it’s unlikely to perform well.

Swamp coolers work well in low humidity areas like Socal and AZ for the house. Think desert climate.

They don’t work in higher humidity areas because the water doesn’t evaporate. And I’m assuming putting one in a cellar would instantly fill it with mold.

You mean they can’t drain the swamp?

It works by increasing humidity to decrease temperature. In time, assuming you live in a temperate climate, it will rot your labels off and destroy anything electronic in the room.

My father has one in his house in Sedona. They work amazingly well on most days out in that type of environment.

Let me clarify: what I am asking is if the primary unit stops working, would one of these evaporative coolers bring the temperature down from let’s say, 85 to 70 for a few days until the primary can be repaired or replaced. A portable ac would have to be vented through a partially open cellar door. I’m asking if whether or not that would be necessary with one of these.

I think I would use a fan and a big tub of ice.

I’m editing to add a suggestion of a tray under the (preferably metal) tub to collect condensation.
This method will also raise the humidity level, and you might have to consider some ventilation as well if you start getting condensation on the bottles.

Doubt a swamp cooler would work in Nawlins. Too humid.

This depends entirely on the relative humidity in your cellar. As the %RH approaches 100 the cooling capacity goes to zero. If you want to chill a room from 85 to 70, this would require %RH of 30 or below. If your cellar is already at a %RH of 70 then an evaporative cooler will only be able to chill it by maybe 5 degrees.

Not in Miami !