1064 Bottles of H. Jayer wines to be auctioned in June

This is a translation from RdF:

1064 bottles of wine of the famous Burgundian winemaker Henri Jayer, who died in 2006, will be auctioned in Geneva on June 17, 2018.
The wines of Henri Jayer, to which some amateurs devote a true cult, are rare and expensive. It is no exaggeration to talk about an event when 855 bottles and 209 magnums signed by the famous Burgundy winegrower resurface to be sold at auction.
The specialized firm Baghera Wines organizes this auction in Geneva on June 17, 2018 under the code name “Domaine Henri Jayer, the ultimate sale”. “The last sale” because according to Baghera Wines, these are the last bottles kept at the domain of Vosne-Romanée by Henri Jayer, disappeared in 2006.
The vintages offered for sale range from 1970 to 2001. Among the prestigious climates represented: Vosne-Romanée, Vosne-Romanée “Beaumonts”, Vosne-Romanée 1er cru “Les Brulées”, Vosne-Romanée 1er cru “Cros Parantoux”, Nuits-Saint-Georges, Nuits-Saint-Georges “Les Meurgers”, Richebourg and Echezeaux.

Here is an overview of the cuvées listed in the catalog:
469 bottles & magnums Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru, Cros-Parantoux 1978 to 2001
9 bottles & magnums Richebourg, Grand Cru 1973 to 1987
42 bottles & magnums Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru, Les Brulées 1973 to 1987
187 bottles & magnums Échézeaux, Grand Cru 1976 to 1999

I can only imagine the prices that will be realized.

Is this a Gil Lempert-Schwarz auction?

Maureen already casting doubts on FB

Yeah, I am skeptical. I’d caveat the shit out of this emptor.

Reappeared. Lol.

Was Henri Jayer at a sports auctioning event just signing 1000 btls of wine lined up and taking photos with fans?

Don’t you sign every bottle of wine in your own cellar? newhere

WineBid is currently moving a few bottles of California Pinot Hand-signed by Noah Raizman. Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. I would pounce before they’re gone. Sort of like a piece of plywood signed by Banksy.

Well - interesting.
If it is guaranteed that the bottles are coming directly out of the late Henri´s cellar … ok, sounds good.
At least the vintages are conform with Henri´s production (no 1976 Cros Parantoux etc. flirtysmile )

However, far out of my price range I suppose …

Has Rudy K been released?

Baghera had many truly awful fakes in their first auctions - beautiful catalogues though!
Don called them out on their second auction - he didn’t have enough time to look at the stuff I sent him before their first.
If 10% of 1064 Jayers are correct, I’ll be mildly surprised…

Did I miss something? I understood that the bottles came directly from Jayer´s personal cellar. Am I wrong?

that’s a weird one.

If you had 1064 bottles of genuine Jayer, why sell them through Bagheera and not one of the more established houses?

On the other hand, if you’re trying to make a quick buck selling fake wines there has got to be more discreet ways of doing so than selling, basically, the largest collection ever auctioned of Jayer’s wines. The fact that they’re signed and supposed to come from the great man’s cellar makes it even easier to establish they’re not legit if that’s the case. You’d have to be a pretty stupid criminal to go down that path?

From a pure game-theoretical standpoint, i’d expect the wines to be real…

Just checked. Looks pretty legit to me…

I would be surprised at 1%.

Guys - check the video. It’s Henri’s daughters selling the remains of the family cellar. Video shows them being interviewed about it and helping the Baghera men pick and load the wines at the domaine. I have no dog in this fight and am aware of the past controversies, but the video makes it look pretty legit to me…

If the bottles are really sold by the daughter of late Henri they will be 100% authentique …
the video looks good - and maybe Baghera simply made the best offer (reg. fees) …
rarely can be asked for more … (and I know the house) …
and if unsure one simply can call the daughter in Vosne …

However, prices will be in the stratosphere … I doubt I could afford a single bottle … [head-bang.gif]

I appreciate that Thomas - but if an auction house has built its business selling wines with questionmarks, at what stage are the wines actually okay and is it still okay to do business with them? Certainly the marketing was never inquestion, and that’s the same today. On the face of it provenance is perfect, and the daughters had surely probably never heard of this auction house or their reputation. Of-course I’m a curmudgeon of an old cynic, but I’d like to hear the daughters say exactly how many bottles they shipped - 100, 300, perhaps even 1064!

No one can believe anything these days. Are those really his daughters? [wink.gif]

Why don’t they have an actual video of the daughter(s) speaking instead of a still photo?

Guys - check the video. It’s Henri’s daughters selling the remains of the family cellar. Video shows them being interviewed about it and helping the Baghera men pick and load the wines at the domaine. I have no dog in this fight and am aware of the past controversies, but the video makes it look pretty legit to me…[/quote]

Why don’t they have an actual video of the daughter(s) speaking instead of a still photo?[/quote]

They do, starting at about 0:53 on the video.