1064 Bottles of H. Jayer wines to be auctioned in June

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Walker

#1 Post by Kelly Walker » February 28th, 2018, 2:53 pm

This is a translation from RdF:

1064 bottles of wine of the famous Burgundian winemaker Henri Jayer, who died in 2006, will be auctioned in Geneva on June 17, 2018.
The wines of Henri Jayer, to which some amateurs devote a true cult, are rare and expensive. It is no exaggeration to talk about an event when 855 bottles and 209 magnums signed by the famous Burgundy winegrower resurface to be sold at auction.
The specialized firm Baghera Wines organizes this auction in Geneva on June 17, 2018 under the code name "Domaine Henri Jayer, the ultimate sale". "The last sale" because according to Baghera Wines, these are the last bottles kept at the domain of Vosne-Romanée by Henri Jayer, disappeared in 2006.
The vintages offered for sale range from 1970 to 2001. Among the prestigious climates represented: Vosne-Romanée, Vosne-Romanée "Beaumonts", Vosne-Romanée 1er cru "Les Brulées", Vosne-Romanée 1er cru "Cros Parantoux", Nuits-Saint-Georges, Nuits-Saint-Georges "Les Meurgers", Richebourg and Echezeaux.

Here is an overview of the cuvées listed in the catalog:
469 bottles & magnums Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru, Cros-Parantoux 1978 to 2001
9 bottles & magnums Richebourg, Grand Cru 1973 to 1987
42 bottles & magnums Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru, Les Brulées 1973 to 1987
187 bottles & magnums Échézeaux, Grand Cru 1976 to 1999

I can only imagine the prices that will be realized.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 28th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Is this a Gil Lempert-Schwarz auction?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by cjsavino » February 28th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Maureen already casting doubts on FB
Chris

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 28th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Yeah, I am skeptical. I'd caveat the shit out of this emptor.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#5 Post by c fu » February 28th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Reappeared. Lol.

Was Henri Jayer at a sports auctioning event just signing 1000 btls of wine lined up and taking photos with fans?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by ky1em!ttskus » February 28th, 2018, 3:23 pm

c fu wrote:Reappeared. Lol.

Was Henri Jayer at a sports auctioning event just signing 1000 btls of wine lined up and taking photos with fans?
Don't you sign every bottle of wine in your own cellar? newhere

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by NoahR » February 28th, 2018, 6:41 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
c fu wrote:Reappeared. Lol.

Don't you sign every bottle of wine in your own cellar? newhere
WineBid is currently moving a few bottles of California Pinot Hand-signed by Noah Raizman. Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. I would pounce before they’re gone. Sort of like a piece of plywood signed by Banksy.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Gerhard P.

#8 Post by Gerhard P. » March 1st, 2018, 1:07 am

Well - interesting.
If it is guaranteed that the bottles are coming directly out of the late Henri´s cellar ... ok, sounds good.
At least the vintages are conform with Henri´s production (no 1976 Cros Parantoux etc. flirtysmile )

However, far out of my price range I suppose ....
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

A Songeur

#9 Post by A Songeur » March 1st, 2018, 2:35 am

Has Rudy K been released?
Antoine

billnanson

#10 Post by billnanson » March 1st, 2018, 3:36 am

Baghera had many truly awful fakes in their first auctions - beautiful catalogues though!
Don called them out on their second auction - he didn't have enough time to look at the stuff I sent him before their first.
If 10% of 1064 Jayers are correct, I'll be mildly surprised...
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

Jürgen Steinke

#11 Post by Jürgen Steinke » March 1st, 2018, 4:50 am

Did I miss something? I understood that the bottles came directly from Jayer´s personal cellar. Am I wrong?

Thomas De Waen

#12 Post by Thomas De Waen » March 1st, 2018, 4:51 am

that's a weird one.

If you had 1064 bottles of genuine Jayer, why sell them through Bagheera and not one of the more established houses?

On the other hand, if you're trying to make a quick buck selling fake wines there has got to be more discreet ways of doing so than selling, basically, the largest collection ever auctioned of Jayer's wines. The fact that they're signed and supposed to come from the great man's cellar makes it even easier to establish they're not legit if that's the case. You'd have to be a pretty stupid criminal to go down that path?

From a pure game-theoretical standpoint, i'd expect the wines to be real...

Thomas De Waen

#13 Post by Thomas De Waen » March 1st, 2018, 4:54 am

Just checked. Looks pretty legit to me...

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 1st, 2018, 5:05 am

billnanson wrote:Baghera had many truly awful fakes in their first auctions - beautiful catalogues though!
Don called them out on their second auction - he didn't have enough time to look at the stuff I sent him before their first.
I would be surprised at 1%.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Thomas De Waen

#15 Post by Thomas De Waen » March 1st, 2018, 5:12 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:
billnanson wrote:Baghera had many truly awful fakes in their first auctions - beautiful catalogues though!
Guys - check the video. It's Henri's daughters selling the remains of the family cellar. Video shows them being interviewed about it and helping the Baghera men pick and load the wines at the domaine. I have no dog in this fight and am aware of the past controversies, but the video makes it look pretty legit to me...

Gerhard P.

#16 Post by Gerhard P. » March 1st, 2018, 6:22 am

Jürgen Steinke wrote:Did I miss something? I understood that the bottles came directly from Jayer´s personal cellar. Am I wrong?
If the bottles are really sold by the daughter of late Henri they will be 100% authentique ...
the video looks good - and maybe Baghera simply made the best offer (reg. fees) ...
rarely can be asked for more ... (and I know the house) ...
and if unsure one simply can call the daughter in Vosne ...

However, prices will be in the stratosphere ... I doubt I could afford a single bottle ... [head-bang.gif]
Gerhard Pr@esent
composer / AT

billnanson

#17 Post by billnanson » March 1st, 2018, 7:28 am

Thomas De Waen wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
Guys - check the video. It's Henri's daughters selling the remains of the family cellar. Video shows them being interviewed about it and helping the Baghera men pick and load the wines at the domaine. I have no dog in this fight and am aware of the past controversies, but the video makes it look pretty legit to me...
I appreciate that Thomas - but if an auction house has built its business selling wines with questionmarks, at what stage are the wines actually okay and is it still okay to do business with them? Certainly the marketing was never inquestion, and that's the same today. On the face of it provenance is perfect, and the daughters had surely probably never heard of this auction house or their reputation. Of-course I'm a curmudgeon of an old cynic, but I'd like to hear the daughters say exactly how many bottles they shipped - 100, 300, perhaps even 1064!
Burgundy Report - online since 2002...

Dennis Atick

#18 Post by Dennis Atick » March 1st, 2018, 7:39 am

Thomas De Waen wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
No one can believe anything these days. Are those really his daughters? [wink.gif]
@decaturwinedude

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by c fu » March 1st, 2018, 8:29 am

Thomas De Waen wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
Why don’t they have an actual video of the daughter(s) speaking instead of a still photo?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Thomas De Waen

#20 Post by Thomas De Waen » March 1st, 2018, 8:45 am

Guys - check the video. It's Henri's daughters selling the remains of the family cellar. Video shows them being interviewed about it and helping the Baghera men pick and load the wines at the domaine. I have no dog in this fight and am aware of the past controversies, but the video makes it look pretty legit to me...[/quote]

Why don’t they have an actual video of the daughter(s) speaking instead of a still photo?[/quote]

They do, starting at about 0:53 on the video.

Marc Breitenmoser

#21 Post by Marc Breitenmoser » March 1st, 2018, 8:50 am

Looks legit to me too.
@wine.rocks
@swissrhonerangers

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#22 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 1st, 2018, 9:35 am

I get "video is unavailable" with the link? anyone else/any other link/search?

No wonder Henri was so reluctant to sell bottles at the winery...he was hoarding it all for his family.....he was no fool.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Neal.Mollen » March 1st, 2018, 10:36 am

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:I get "video is unavailable" with the link? anyone else/any other link/search?
me too.

D. HEIN

#24 Post by D. HEIN » March 1st, 2018, 11:01 am

Viewed the video at Approximately 11:00 AM EST.

Now, unavailable!

IT police, Pleeez!
Donn Hein

Claus Jeppesen

#25 Post by Claus Jeppesen » March 1st, 2018, 11:05 am

What video? ;)
Claus

Riesling and Slate

scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by scott c » March 1st, 2018, 11:34 am

[popcorn.gif]
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Larry Link » March 1st, 2018, 12:00 pm

If these are legit, and I have no reason to doubt the authenticity, the daughters are sitting on a gold mine. Looking at auction data for Cros-P, top vintages like 1978, 1985 and 1990 sell for $12,000 per bottle. Other vintages seem to be in the $6k to $9K range. When you add the impeccable provenance coupled with the signed labels (btw what amazing forethought for the family to have the master sign the labels), these bottles should carry a heavy premium over the current market. My guess is a 20-40% premium? So depending on the mix of vintages and sizes, the 469 bottles of Cros-P probably will sell for an average of above $10K per bottle, with top vintages approaching $20K per 750ml bottle. That is ~$5-6M for the Cros-P portion of the cellar.

Dave Nerland

#28 Post by Dave Nerland » March 1st, 2018, 12:19 pm

Didn't Christie's sell his cellar in 2012?

the sale of wines from Henry Jayer’s estate is a historic event featuring the rare vintages with perfect condition and origin. The opportunity would never be repeated with its extraordinary rarity. The rarest and finest wine was sold from the Hong Kong office of Christie. The recent auction of Henry Jayer’s wines on 10th of February 2012 revealed the demand for old and rare wines. Christies sold seven hundred and forty four wine bottles directly from the Henri Jayer’s private cellar with 644 normal bottles and 100 magnums. The evening sale offered ninety eight lots with huge range of vintages from Master Burgundy Henri Jayer’s private cellar which made the auction unique.

The bottles were sold for US$8.5 million or more than HK$66 million. The sale included a case of 1985 Vosne-Romanee premier cru Cros Parantoux and three bottles of 1978 Richebourg. The sale demonstrated the Asian clients ‘passion for burgundy wines. The once in a life time sale confirms the potentiality of Hong Kong market for rare wine. The estimation of Pre-sale was smashed by 100 or 200% margins. 1987’s three magnums of Cros Parantoux reached three hundred and three percent.

Ian Sutton

#29 Post by Ian Sutton » March 1st, 2018, 1:10 pm

a version of the video still seems to be up on youtube
Normal for Norfolk

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Larry Link » March 1st, 2018, 3:37 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:a version of the video still seems to be up on youtube
Thanks for posting. That video certainly looks legitimate, although it does not look like the bottles/labels are individually signed by H. Jayer as someone reported. The shipping boxes are all stamped with an authentication seal from the Domaine, I supposed to help prove provenance direct from the cellar to the auction house. It's going to be fun to see what that auction generates. . .

Marcus Dean

#31 Post by Marcus Dean » March 1st, 2018, 3:57 pm

I would guess that they will have the daughters at the auction, the bidding will be nuts

Kelly Walker

#32 Post by Kelly Walker » March 1st, 2018, 6:33 pm

Keep in mind I posted a google translation of the RdF article. I believe the translated word “signed” refers to “produced”.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Tom Reddick » March 1st, 2018, 7:16 pm

Dave Nerland wrote:Didn't Christie's sell his cellar in 2012?

the sale of wines from Henry Jayer’s estate is a historic event featuring the rare vintages with perfect condition and origin. The opportunity would never be repeated with its extraordinary rarity. The rarest and finest wine was sold from the Hong Kong office of Christie. The recent auction of Henry Jayer’s wines on 10th of February 2012 revealed the demand for old and rare wines. Christies sold seven hundred and forty four wine bottles directly from the Henri Jayer’s private cellar with 644 normal bottles and 100 magnums. The evening sale offered ninety eight lots with huge range of vintages from Master Burgundy Henri Jayer’s private cellar which made the auction unique.

The bottles were sold for US$8.5 million or more than HK$66 million. The sale included a case of 1985 Vosne-Romanee premier cru Cros Parantoux and three bottles of 1978 Richebourg. The sale demonstrated the Asian clients ‘passion for burgundy wines. The once in a life time sale confirms the potentiality of Hong Kong market for rare wine. The estimation of Pre-sale was smashed by 100 or 200% margins. 1987’s three magnums of Cros Parantoux reached three hundred and three percent.
That is the first thing that came to my mind, and I looked it up last night. The sale did not specifically state it was the entire rest of his collection, however.

The video brings a great deal of validity to the sale, and while I would research it further if I were a buyer, from the sidelines I would shocked if that were faked.

Prior to seeing the video, I had my own grave doubts- as would anyone in the current marketplace- but interestingly I was able to alleviate one of them in looking over the 2012 Christie's detail last night. Specifically, I was wondering how a sale of 1,064 bottles would be over 40% Cros Parantoux. But in the 2012 sale, almost a third of the bottles offered were Parantoux, so the proportions here are not out of line. I did not realize that he had kept back so much of the production.

Jayer's fondness for the magnum format is well known, so that alone does not spark concern.

Will be interesting to see how it goes. There is certainly the potential here for records that may well stand for a very, very long time.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Robert Grenley » March 1st, 2018, 10:05 pm

Thomas De Waen wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:
I think that the daughters need to be authenticated, examined by a physician and their dental records studied to verify they they are indeed the offspring of Henri Jayer.
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Craig G » March 1st, 2018, 10:23 pm

This sounds like a lot of bottles but it’s just three and a half barrels - not really that much in the context of a domaine cellar. It doesn’t seem surprising for them to hold back this many.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Jürgen Steinke

#36 Post by Jürgen Steinke » March 1st, 2018, 11:02 pm

I guess Jayer realized how valuable his cellar is and may become. Therefore it isn't surprising that he hold back a significant amount of bottles. Any clever winemaker would do this. The daughters will have a good life after the sale. That's for sure.

P Intag
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by P Intag » March 2nd, 2018, 8:39 am

1064 over 29 vintages does not seem like he was holding back very many. That's about 3 cases per vintage.
Paul

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#38 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 2nd, 2018, 1:13 pm

Trying to buy a bottle from him at the estate was murder. I got two bottles during one trip and they guy made me feel that I had taken his daughters' inheritance.

Emmanuel Rouget will be there to vouch that they are his cousins....and someone will be there to vouch for Rouget...the guy who runs the convenience store in Flagey.

I still can't get the video to run through...it stops about 10 seconds into it.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#39 Post by c fu » March 2nd, 2018, 1:17 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:Trying to buy a bottle from him at the estate was murder. I got two bottles during one trip and they guy made me feel that I had taken his daughters' inheritance.

Emmanuel Rouget will be there to vouch that they are his cousins....and someone will be there to vouch for Rouget...the guy who runs the convenience store in Flagey.

I still can't get the video to run through...it stops about 10 seconds into it.
Looks like you did take from their inheritance ha
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Kris Patten » March 2nd, 2018, 8:38 pm

Their only regret is selling some in the 2012 auction that was sold at 50 to 100% less than this auction. I would love to buy a mag.....he was and is a magician.

I always that Martine had the largest collection of Jayer as she had pallets of it that weren't sold thru channels.
ITB

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mattstolz » March 3rd, 2018, 5:34 am

is this the same lot as what Kapon has been posting about all over instagram the past week?

Pierfrancesco Bini

#42 Post by Pierfrancesco Bini » March 3rd, 2018, 6:47 am

Mattstolz wrote:is this the same lot as what Kapon has been posting about all over instagram the past week?
Yes. A con will always drink and sell some legit wines.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Alan Rath » March 3rd, 2018, 8:36 am

Kris Patten wrote:Their only regret is selling some in the 2012 auction that was sold at ... 100% less than this auction.
I definitely would have bought at that price [wow.gif]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#44 Post by c fu » March 3rd, 2018, 9:19 am

Mattstolz wrote:is this the same lot as what Kapon has been posting about all over instagram the past week?
No. He was drinking with Martine.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Chuck Miller » March 3rd, 2018, 10:53 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
Kris Patten wrote:Their only regret is selling some in the 2012 auction that was sold at ... 100% less than this auction.
I definitely would have bought at that price [wow.gif]
Yep, 100% off is a pretty good deal.
Chuck Miller

J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by J. Galang » March 22nd, 2018, 12:36 pm

Larry Link wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:a version of the video still seems to be up on youtube
Thanks for posting. That video certainly looks legitimate, although it does not look like the bottles/labels are individually signed by H. Jayer as someone reported. The shipping boxes are all stamped with an authentication seal from the Domaine, I supposed to help prove provenance direct from the cellar to the auction house. It's going to be fun to see what that auction generates. . .
Do I assume correctly that the older ladies in that video are Henri's daughters? If so this does seem quite legit.

- Joel
Joel Galang

Patrick Stella

#47 Post by Patrick Stella » March 23rd, 2018, 8:25 am

cjsavino wrote:Maureen already casting doubts on FB
Maureen / Don: What do you think? Do you believe these are real or do you think they're fake?

Disclaimer: I have no involvement in this transaction and I have never worked with this auctioneer. I am interested in this sale and its reception among collectors because my business involves the underwriting--and therefore the salability--of various wine collections.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by B. Buzzini » April 16th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Emmanuel Menger

#49 Post by Emmanuel Menger » April 25th, 2018, 8:33 am

https://www.bagherawines.auction/assets ... screen.pdf

Looking at the pictures, the level of liquid seems extremely low for a lot of bottles...
Would be given a steep discount in any serious wine auction

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#50 Post by c fu » April 25th, 2018, 8:52 am

Emmanuel Menger wrote:https://www.bagherawines.auction/assets ... screen.pdf

Looking at the pictures, the level of liquid seems extremely low for a lot of bottles...
Would be given a steep discount in any serious wine auction
Huge variation in fill levels between the same vintage. Wonder how these were stored. That 88 in the first couple pics and the multi btl lot of 76 shortly after have scary low fills.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Return to “Wine Talk”