TN: 2015 Château Cantemerle (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

2015 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (2/25/2018)
It’s been a while since I last opened a bottle of ripe vintage Bordeaux at such a young age. It’s been even longer since I opened such a young Cantemerle from any sort of vintage. Overall this is a very promising wine. I’ve read any number of so-so notes, but I just don’t see that. The balance is good, there’s plenty of depth, and it’s showing as young Bordeaux shows when it’s from a (relatively) classic producer. This is a wine that needs and will reward time. It won’t be a 30+ year wine, but it does not need to be that. Give it 5 years, check in, then wait another 5. It will likely be a more than charming drink as it approaches 15 years from the vintage - maybe sooner.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the data point!

Thanks for the note. I now have 23 of these in half bottles. I liked the one I opened too

Half bottles, nice, Neal!

I’m waiting on my mixed case from Total Wine Futures, this being one of them

How does it compare to the '14, which is a recent reference point for me?

fwiw, this was my impression of the '14:

– decanted one hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over two days –

NOSE: unusually high-toned aromatics, which are dominated by purple fruits and a medium-strength sweet oak note; not as oaky as many young Bdx.; not funky; no pencil shavings; light spice (likely oak); slight citric aspect.

BODY: dark ruby color of great depth; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: moderate concentration of fruit; mostly purple-fruited, but I sense a minority percentage of red fruit flavor here, too; high acidity; light, drying tannin; hint of smoky coffee (oak); hint of stony mineral; “lovely,” not a big bruiser; the acidity is a pleasant surprise; drinks very well now, but no rush to drink immediately; ever-evolving in the glass — with time, slight bitter and citric (lime/orange) aspects reveal themselves; overall, this is quite impressive in an elegant fashion — not words I frequently get to use for such an infantile Bdx… This wine did fill-out a bit on Day 2. ultimately, my score may be conservative, and I have the gut impression that it is. Drink Now through 2030.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = 90+

No idea. I did not buy the 2014.

Anyone else?

2015 is more creamy and rich in style compared to 2014. Yet 2015 still maintains the typical Haut-Medoc Cantemerle style. To me the 15 is a step up, but the 14 is also a great Cantemerle. Then comes 2016, which is far better than both.

Knightsbridge has the 375s for $16 and the 750s for $30

2015 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (1/19/2019)
– decanted 1.75 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

NOSE: concentrated, dark, rich red fruits; hints of espresso, caramel, and popcorn.

BODY: lots of fine particulate matter present; blood red-violet color of great depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: red/purple fruit mix; ripe, but not overly so; not overtly oaky (just lightly oaky); damp soil; hints of leather and wet stones; medium-low to medium acidity, but it’s still well-balanced; impressively, this is not big/gloppy, and it easily could have gone that way given the ripeness and acidity levels, but somehow this walks relatively lightly on its feet; alc. not noticeable; over a couple hours, the fruits veered more purple than red, and became a touch bitter. This is not a tannic/rustic/austere Bordeaux redolent of pencil shavings and stinky things. I would love to see this with 10+ years on it, and I will definitely be re-buying at the stupid-good price of $33; I see this as a 15 – 25 year wine. Hold.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92 pts.)

And, to answer my very own question, up-thread, I’ll say this: I prefer the '14, even though I view the '15 as the “better wine.” How perverse is that?!? I suppose, I can honestly say this: I see more upside for the '15 than I do the '14.

2015 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (2/16/2021)
– double decanted 30 min before 1st –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –
– 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot –

N: rich, dark red fruits; bit of chocolatey oak; faint floral and earthy hints; a touch of cologne; Christmas candle (pine and cinnamon); pretty complex; caramelized onion; ever-changing; little high-toned note.

B: medium bodied; rich, dark garnet color of medium-deep depth

T: lightly tannic; very tight; medium+ acidity; very difficult to get at the fruit, even after 3 hours open; hint of tobacco. Day 2: more open; caramel; medium acidity; still lightly tannic; I predict this will age well; really closing-down compared to 2 years ago; labelled at 13% alc.; fruits still non-descript.

1 Like

Thanks for these notes, I have a dozen and will hold off for a few more years as recommended.

1 Like

Last had a bottle in 2020, when it was a bit closed, so thought I should do a check in…

• 2015 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (10/15/2023)
    From 375. Nose is beautiful from the get go, very Margaux-leaning, with florals, a bit of cassis-pencil lead, and macerated cherries. The palate takes a couple of hours to fill out, but it is a bit stern and stonier than the nose would suggest, with more cassis, cherry skin, and a bunch of dried herbs. Sweet fruit married to a classical profile, fine tannins that are starting to tame, and fully dry on the more-ish finish. Already throwing a decent amount of chunky sediment. Starting to show its full potential, at least out of a half that hasn’t seen cellar storage. Delightful. (93 points)
6 Likes