2017 Ridge Monte Bello Futures - $124/bottle

Just received my email for the 2017 Ridge Monte Bello Futures. Price has increased to $124/bottle, an 8% increase from last year’s $115/bottle. 2014 was priced at $102 and 2015 at $110.

Still solidly on my buy list, since 2007.

Is it worth it? Got the email as well. I’m surprised I got an email for 4 bottles considering I just joined the list.

No merlot shipment as they used all for Monte bello

It’s one of the best values (the futures offer, that is) AND wines from California. But, as with all things YMMV.

Huge fan of Ridge (#2 producer in my cellar) and agree these wines are classics. But this year’s increase has me pausing for a bit, especially with some great 2014-2016 Bordeaux available at comparable prices (or less). I have to think about this one…

I can’t help recall that 2008 MB futures were ~$80 in early 2010.

This same thread with the same responses occurs every year, starting with the 2014 vintage

“Futures price went up X”

“Is it worth it?”

“Best value in top CA wine, YMMV”

“the only wine I still buy from a list”

etc

And yes, I’m still buying as well.

Anyone tasted this yet? Barrel samples?

I’m in. It’s like paying a utility bill. These wines are great.

What is shipping for these to Illinois?

MB is >$300 at retail in my market. I can only dream of being able to purchase any at $125.

I can’t say anything about Illinois specifically, but I find Ridge’s shipping costs to be typical for a winery that doesn’t claim to subsidize shipping in some fashion. I live near Houston, TX and last year paid about $58 for 6 750ml bottles and $29 for a magnum. This year, I figure a $124 bottle will cost me close to $145 …

I’m in for at least one more year. Probably buying wine for my son.

The 2014 (most recent vintage on the shelves) can be bought a a long list of places for $169. Still a decent value, but nowhere near $300/btl in most major shops

I should have clarified that my market is in Canada. We tend to have wonderful liquor laws and taxes.

Ha! Yes, that makes a difference

And of course tax is charged at 99.99% of wineries so the all in bottle cost is in the $150’s easy.

Yep.

JD

Finally stopping based on age (58) and years to drinking window.