Vadin-Plateau - Anyone have any experience with this Champagne?

One of the oldest grower producers (9th generation) with 7 hectares of vineyard and almost nothing about most of their wines.

I had never heard of them then got a garagiste email about a 1500 bottle production of Petit Meunier wine made partially with 2007 juice and partially with a 1987 solera and then 120 months on lees. So I had to take a flier but…

Bump…any recent sightings of this grower?

About six months ago, I bought a single bottle of the Renaissance Extra Brut 100% Pinot meunier, but I have yet to open. I have no idea on the disgorgement date or base vintage, but I am guessing either 17 or 18. I’m very curious about it, though and may not be able to resist temptation for much longer.

I ordered two from garagiste back in December 2020. Not a big champagne drinker, but I recall enjoying the 2014 Terre de Moines. Another 100% Pinot Meunier. I got another stashed away some where.

I just got a flier from Apex for them. I never heard of the wine before

You are not getting much help so I’ll add to that [snort.gif]

Apparently I bought 2 bottles of the Renaissance. They were drunk on Christmas Eve. No TNs, no recollection. I blame the holidays.

I also picked up a Renaissance and Terre de Moines from Garagiste. I don’t have as much to compare them to, but I remember liking the Renaissance more than the terre de moines. I think the renaissance has a little bit of dosage because it was a bit fuller, terre de moines was more forward with acidity and primary character, I was expecting it to be a little more complex since it was a vintage bottling but maybe it needed a bit more time. Fat cork carries this producer and has their own notes and tech sheet.

Either way I thought all the bottles were a good value and I got more when garagiste sent out this years emails for them. Worth checking out.

In 2017-2018, I went through a few bottles each of the Renaissance and Intuition and thought the Renaissance was really good.

CT TN link for V-P Tasting Notes from 'Vadin-Plateau' - CellarTracker

Obviously a lifetime ago, but do you recall having a sense for whether the Renaissance was something that would benefit from some bottle age?

I don’t know if it will improve, but I think it should plateau for many years.

In 2018 I felt that it had plenty of time to go… but I don’t know when my bottles were disgorged, so that would certainly need to be considered.

Cheers!

1 Like

I’m a fan of this producer. Since Yann Vadin started getting involved in the family business around a decade again, things really improved. The entire range is solid and the wines show good focus and purity. While there are numerous cuvees in the range that are considered ‘higher end’ and are done in very small quantities, my favorite is consistently the entry level NV Renaissance. This pure Pinot Meunier wine from a range of plots in Cumieres is always a peachy, bready, elegant expression that is a great value. Some of the range could use a bit more dosage (or at least some dosage) IMO, but everything is of high quality.

2 Likes

I’ve only tried the NV Renaissance Extra Brut and have really enjoyed it for the $30 price.