TN: Alban Syrah Reva '00...(short/boring)

Cracked this one last night:

1. AlbanVnyds Syrah Reva AlbanEstate/EdnaVlly (14.2%) 2000: Very dark color w/ some bricking; strong toasty/charred/burnt/Fr.oak light peppery slight reductive slight alcoholic very strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry bit complex perfumed nose; quite tart/tangy strong blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/ripe slight peppery/spicy strong charred/burnt/oak bit complex flavor w/ light smooth/ripe fully resolved tannins; lightly tart/tangy rather roasted/charred/burnt/pungent/oak strong blackberry/Syrah/ripe/boysenberry/bit cassis/spicy bit complex finish w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; much more drinkable & a bit more maturity/complexity than the Lorraine but still plenty of primary fruit; a fairly attractive fully-mature Alban Syrah w/ fully resolved tannins that probably just as well be drunk up.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I tried the Alban Lorraine several weeks ago, w/ the following TN:

for which I was accused of bashing JohnAlban.
I thought this Reva was fully mature and I see no reason not to drink it because, given the track record of Alban Syrahs, I don’t expect it to ever develop the complexity and interest you’d find in a typical Jaffurs/EdmundsStJohn/Qupe Syrah at this age. This Reva was more palatable than the Lorraine, but only a bit more interesting.
The Grenache '01 up next.
Tom

I am following this with interest, as I still have two bottles of the '02 Reva and a bottle of the '00 Lorraine, both purchased from our old pal out in Los Olivos.
I still remember the way he took me off to the side, looked around to make sure nobody was listening, and then whispered out of the side of his mouth that he “had a couple of bottles of Alban if I wanted them.”
What a sales technique! I felt so . . . special! I couldn’t get my credit card out fast enough.

I never really found a time to open those bottles and my tastes changed along the line and so they still sit in my cellar - but I will open one or more of them very soon in honor of the best wine retailer I’ve ever known!

Yup, John…BobSenn was one of the best. With those special wines, he wanted to make sure they went to someone deserving.
When I’d come into the shop, he’d start calling winemakers…”TomHill is here…don’t you want to come over and see him?” You probably got one of those calls, John.
Tom

Wow - John Tomasso! Haven’t seen you post here in ages! Hope we see a bit more of you on Berserkers.

I had a slightly different experience with Bob. I stopped in one Sunday on the odd chance he’d have some Alban. He proceeded to thoroughly vet me like he was running a TSA checkpoint. After some Q/A he deemed me worthy and went into the vault and emerged with two 99 Lorraines. One will be opened before summer.