TN: 2015 Domaine Robert-Denogent Beaujolais-Villages Cuvée Jules Chauvet

Wowsa. Haven’t been this excited about a new Boo since Eric Brown turned me on to Metras a few years back. This stuff lives up to the Envoyer hype.

• 2015 Domaine Robert-Denogent Beaujolais-Villages Cuvée Jules Chauvet - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Beaujolais-Villages (2/25/2018)
    Brilliant young beaujolais. Drippy and snappy red fruit…back cherry, raspberry that just coats the palate without weight. Purity. Lush. And sexy! Taut energy, that peaks interest and lifts the palate. Finishes with black pepper and lingering red fruit and earth. Terrific stuff! Doing Jules Chauvet proud.

Posted from CellarTracker

Another bottle of this last night. Another wow. Wish I stocked up on the original Envoyer offer. Terrific wine. Note above stands. Really comes on as it opens.
20180415_190344.jpg

Dennis, I fully agree with your comments and notes. Here is my note regarding the wine which I posted in the 2015 Beaujolais thread:

2015 Robert-Denogent Beaujolais-Village Cuvee Jules Chauvet -The late Jules Chauvet was an advocate of the “natural wine” movement in Beaujolais, which was subsequently spearheaded by the likes of Lapierre, Thevenet, Breton and Foillard. Jean-Jacques Robert, who is better known for his old-vine Pouilly-Fuisse beauties, is pals with those guys and a few years ago began leasing a parcel of what were once Chauvet’s vines from Chauvet’s niece. Old vines growing in decomposed granite, organic practices and no sulfur, except a smidge at bottling. This is, hands down, the best 2015 Beaujolais that I have tasted – perfectly ripe and concentrated, but cool, fresh and vigorous, and with a beguiling hint of rawness that one gets with no/low sulfur wines done right (as from the four mentioned above, Didier Barral, Maxime Magnon and the like). As Matthieu Lapierre explained in a recent publication, making wines like this is a bit of a high-wire act, but results like this compel he and others like Robert to do so.

Disclaimer: I sell the wine.

Martin,
Thanks for the additional info, and we certainly share the same opinion on this one! Was a new name to me, but I am a follower now. I don’t think your ‘best of 2015’ is an overstatement. Stunning wine, especially factoring in the asking price.
Cheers.

Thanks for the notes guys, I grabbed six based on your enthusiasm. A local merchant has often talked up Denogent’s whites from the Macon, but I don’t recall having ever tried them.

Let us know what you think. I just asked Greg for the last bottle that they showed in stock at Envoyer. Might go looking for more.

Local shop was selling the '13s on closeout, my favorite 15 dollar wine of the year.

Nice.

Maybe better than the '15 for those who like them a little leaner.