TN: 1990 Wynns John Riddoch

The first of four bottles bought for a song at auction. Even though in pristine condition from all appearances, I chose the one with the lowest fill and opened it with some trepidation. No need to have worried. If anything, this was a bit primary, at least until some jamminess blew off, leaving a seamless and elegant wine, unmistakably of its place and really haunting in its beauty. Cassis, eucalyptus, some smoky sage notes and smooth, sweet tannins. A beautiful Cab. I would think this is at or near peak based on a comparison to my memory of some mid-90’s vintages I’ve had. Looking forward to seeing how the other half of the bottle evolved, will revert tonight with any updates.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. Lovely wine from very fine, albeit hot vintage. based on past experiences with Wynns wines, would suggest will hold on for another 2 or 3 decades.

No discernible changes when revisited the next day, consistent I think with your assertion of a long remaining drinking window.

Jonathan

I had one a year or so back - and indeed, it was still youthful. As long as the corks hold out, bottles of this will be fine in another couple of decades. Not sure it will ever pick up bordeaux-like complexity though.

Rauno, The 82 is the one if you ever see it. Incredible complexity and dimension weighing in at 12.5%. 1991 marginally preferred over the 1990.

The 1992 was quite good.

Interesting! Coincidentally at a tasting last night we had the 1991 and 1992. They were really nice wines. Nose was really reminiscent of a Loire cab franc with a bit more black fruit (thats a compliment from me), but they were in a lineup of fairly big Napa cabs. Very little noticeable oak. If I found older bottles, they would be buy.

LOL, I was just coming on to report the same thing as Eric. I brought a mini-vertical of the 1991 and 1992 of the Wynns Riddoch to a dinner at his house this weekend. I thought the 1991 was superior to the 1992, just a bit more integrated and deeper, but both wines were classic aged JR. Eric and also Corey Miller, who posts here as well, seemed to enjoy them.

I really love these wines. To me they are almost unique in that they offer the glossy, vivid, intense fruit of a new world wine but also are at the same time very savory and mineral. Especially after they age those mint tones mix with the rich black fruit and touch of green pepper to create all kinds of interesting flavors – I was picking up black/brown olive, Eric found jalapeno pepper. They also have fantastic, jump out of your mouth acidity (something that is also true of the regular Black Label Cabs a lot of the time).

I find these wines very cabernet but completely different from California cab and also have almost a richer, fruitier, wilder aspect than Bordeaux. They sometimes almost give a Northern Rhone feel to me, Eric was saying they reminded him of a Loire wine. (But way deeper, I would say).

It drives me nuts that these are almost impossible to find in the U.S. After burning these two bottles I now have only four bottles of Wynns JR left (another 1991 and three 1998s). They very rarely come on the market here. Aussie posters should tell Wynns they need to get on the ball and supply us over here!

5 1998s and 1 1996 here. Surprised how well I’ve resisted opening them, but burying the wooden (half) case in the cellar has helped keep my mitts off them. The Black labels have been good cellar defenders, but they shine so well with good age, that I should have had something to defend them!