TN: 2014 JB Neufeld Yakima Valley Cabernet

Purchased from BerserkerDay, and received a couple of weeks ago. Popped and poured last night on its own to get an idea of where it’s at. Purple core with ruby edges. Well structured with grippy tannins across the mid-palate and and juicy acidity–needed about 15 minutes of swirling to get the tannins to loosen up a bit. The nose initially gives off a watermelon-like note–not watermelon candy, but fresh cut, heat-of-the-summer watermelon. Mouth-watering. Brambly cassis and black fruit notes start to unravel with time in the glass. Lots of crushed stone minerality on both nose and palate, with a distinctly savory edge to both. This will age gracefully, but is really approachable and enjoyable now. I re-corked it and put it in the fridge and will check back in on it this afternoon, but altogether, very pleased! 92pts.
IMG_5851.jpg

Thanks for the note. Was this your first time tasting JB Neufeld? I haven’t tasted any of the 2014s yet and I was wondering how they compared to the previous vintages.

Yes, this was my first time tasting, so I don’t have any frame of reference.

Upon revisiting on day 2, much more of the new oak emerged on the nose, with notes of toasted sugar, and dill. Well integrated, though, and still absolutely delicious. The acidity took a bit of a back seat and the tannins poked through a bit more, but the balance was still there.