TN: 2016 Le Chiuse Rosso di Montalcino

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tim Heaton

#1 Post by Tim Heaton » February 23rd, 2018, 7:06 am

17 February, 2018 - (Benvenuto Brunello, 2018, Montalcino) First tasted three weeks ago at Benvenuto Brunello NYC tasting, and I liked it, giving it a recommended+ rating. Today’s tasting, for whatever reason was even better. It’s nice to see that at least my notes were similar between the two events, if the rating was not the same; this is (but one of) the reason(s) that points don’t work, but I digress. On to the note: luminous garnet, bright, and very pretty. Superb, exciting, and very bright nose offering excellent typicity(+), big, sweet tannins, and plenty of depth of flavor/aromas. This is just stunning on the palate (my note says WOW!); medium-bodied, red-fruited, LONG finish, structured and balanced. It’s all here, and it’s only getting better going forward. And this is a Rosso? Again, wow. 14,0% abv., drink 2018-2028. highly recommended

https://italianwine.blog/2018/02/21/ben ... o-part-ii/
ITB, www.italianwinereviews.com
CT: Tim Heaton

Markus S

#2 Post by Markus S » February 23rd, 2018, 7:26 am

Price...freshness...drinkability?

Rossos have it all. flirtysmile
$ _ € ® e . k @

Ramon C

#3 Post by Ramon C » February 23rd, 2018, 8:18 am

Markus S wrote:Price...freshness...drinkability?

Availability, too?
@brera

Markus S

#4 Post by Markus S » February 23rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Ramon C wrote:
Markus S wrote:Price...freshness...drinkability?

Availability, too?
Sure. You live in NY, right? Pretty good availability here (maybe not the Chiuse, though. but there are others like Costanti, etc...)
$ _ € ® e . k @

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Morris » February 23rd, 2018, 8:31 pm

I bought a case of the '12 Le Chiuse Rosso after loving a bottle I ordered in a restaurant in the winter of 2014-15. It had the complexity of a much older, better wine. But by 2016 it was fading and by last year my notes on the final bottle said "At the end of its life." It sure gave a lot of pleasure up to then, but I wouldn't bet on their rossos to be mini-Brunellos.

My doubts are reinforced by my experience with their '01 Brunello. It was a standout young in tastings, and I and others I know bought it. But after a few years, some of those bottles went kind of feral, with lots of shoe polish and other VA. Others were just boring. I wasn't the only one who experienced this. Asher Rubinstein had been wowed by the '01 Brunello young but he said in 2013 that he had been repeatedly disappointed by later bottles. Keith Levenberg said his didn't live up to the original experience but were OK. However, friends he had recommended the wine to ended up with off bottles like mine. Bob Hughes said in that thread that his bottles when through and "undrinkable" phase.

So I'm not sure what to think of the estate.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

Tim Heaton

#6 Post by Tim Heaton » February 23rd, 2018, 10:42 pm

2016 is not 2012. Pretty much the opposite, really. Of the hundreds of rosso, Brunello, and Riserva wines I've tasted from that vintage, maybe I've had a dozen or so with structure+, like the 16s have (most growers).

I tasted 2016 Colleoni Brunello from barrel yesterday. Wow wine that confirms a wow vintage. Buy early (from many, not just Colleoni). There will be no Colleoni Brunello di Montalcino in 2014; I suspect there are others, as well.
ITB, www.italianwinereviews.com
CT: Tim Heaton

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John Morris » February 24th, 2018, 6:50 am

Vintage character notwithstanding, I wouldn't expect a rosso to be fading as much as the Le Chiuse '12 was two and a half years after release.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

M. Chacchia

#8 Post by M. Chacchia » February 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Tim, I also attended the NYC tasting and was impressed with the few '16 Rossi being poured. Quality was on the level of 2015, IMO. My only reservation with '16 is that generally prices will be higher than '15 due to current exchange rates. I really love the 2015 Rossi I have tried and will seek out 2016's if pricing is decent. I'll be at the Great Wines of Italy event on 3/6 in NYC and hope to try more 2016's there. 2014 was a wash out for Tuscany but 2015 & 2016 are looking really good for Brunello. I can't wait to try them upon release.
Cheers
Marchello

Arv R

#9 Post by Arv R » February 24th, 2018, 2:16 pm

I had a 2007 Chiuse Brunello maybe a year or so ago, and it was really good. Made me pick up some of the 2010. No other experience with the estate, and generally don't get all that jazzed up over Brunello versus Chianti.
R_@_0

Return to “Wine Talk”